Author Topic: A real Jewel  (Read 1193 times)

Offline placebo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • How can you have money for beer but not for Beenos
A real Jewel
« on: March 29, 2016, 07:45:30 PM »
Hidden under your facebook page is a very rare Micro Seiki BL 77.Not being on facebook my daughter (who is on facebook)had to advise me of this jewel and unusual Micro.It is such an unusual model that even VE does not have it listed.Now Alty why not share the unusual T/T's you have in for repair with this forum?
For,when money or oiled hands determine the voting outcome,particularly in a matter of such monumental importance,then no conscience or oath finds expression.

Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • :-)
    • Turntable repairs Cape Town
Re: A real Jewel
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 10:16:03 PM »
Hidden under your facebook page is a very rare Micro Seiki BL 77.Not being on facebook my daughter (who is on facebook)had to advise me of this jewel and unusual Micro.It is such an unusual model that even VE does not have it listed.Now Alty why not share the unusual T/T's you have in for repair with this forum?

Hehe, I am trying to streamline my online stuff... To be honest, I have not been doing too much online as I do not have an internet connection at work... Here are some pictures and stories off Facebook...

The lighter fluid is so that I could go Jimi on the thing if I could not get the belt on  :teach:

"On the doktors table. Something a little more rare - the Alphason Sonata turntable. All 25kg of turntable. Massive pig iron cast sub-chassis floating on three turret springs. Two Philips motors driven by a frequency generating power supply. All things that appeal to my geeky side.
For testing I have hung a Logic Datum II tonearm (another item from the British small manufacturer hifi 'cottage industry' from the Eighties).
In true British engineering tradition this one has some nifty idiosyncrasies. Locating holes in the platter for fitting the belt would of been a welcome 'feature'. Nope. With this one you carefully put the belt on the motor pulleys and then stretch it out and hold it whilst a second person carefully lowers the 4kg platter into the bearing. The first person then lets go of the belt and hopes that it snaps into the right place. If not. Return to step one."

Super chuffed (stoked in surfspeak). I picked this Philips Stylus Microscope up off Gumtree for R200. A useful curiosity for a Turntable Guy like me  :)

6 April at 19:22
On the doktors table. Some hip replacement surgery. I am not sure what happened to this one but I do have my suspicions. It looks to me like this Micro-Seiki MA505 tonearm had a sip of single malt whiskey (right down the pillar). It obviously couldn't hold it's liquor as the pillar bearings had seized. I completely stripped this tonearm down to the bearing and replaced them with a new set of Boca bearings. I am not sure how Micro Seiki made money off this tonearm as it must of taken many man-hours to put it together. 20 screws to get to the bearings....
What about the result? Plays great and sounds just as awesome as I remember this model tonearm to be.

4 April at 10:31
The tonearm that reminds me of Meccano. Dynavector DV 505. Stripped and cleaned. I need to clean and reassemble a few more pieces. I also need to dig through my shelves to find a bigger turntable to test this one on...

2 April at 13:56
On the doktors table. A tonearm repair. This one came in filthy and with some screws that had 'fallen out'. Back together. Clean and ship-shape

19 March at 09:15
Saturday morning system build.
Music Hall MMF 7.1 into valve amp driving gloss white Q-Acoustics 2010i mini bookshelf speakers. Nice one!

1 March
Eventually the Micro-Seiki BL91 gets the 'right' arm - a SAEC WE-308SX. What an arm! Rare as anything on South Africa's shores. Jewellery and precision instrument rolled into one. How does it sound? Right

« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:19:37 PM by alternativeroute »

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter: