Author Topic: Soekris dam1021 rev 3 (2%) R2R ladder DAC  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Wolvebain

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
Re: Soekris dam1021 rev 3 (2%) R2R ladder DAC
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 04:51:56 PM »
My 2x dam1021-12: 0.012% resistor version Rev4 boards, from Soekris Europe, are scheduled for delivery on Friday :)

If you want to have a look, sklep.toroidy.pl has also indicated that the Supreme Transformers TS10VA PRI:230V SEC:2x 7V toroidal transformer will be much like their listed TSAS20VA... also has the mounting pad side-wiring plate.

twistedpearaudio.com hasn't come back to me on stock/ETA on the Hermes-Amanero and Cronus re-clocking module combos.. so looking at getting an the Amanero Combo 384 USB Interface from Audio GD.. just looking at the TCXO and replacement/modding capabilities
Why stand on a silent platform?
Fight the war...

Offline gavinbirss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 11:11:19 PM »
My 2x dam1021-12: 0.012% resistor version Rev4 boards, from Soekris Europe, are scheduled for delivery on Friday :)

If you want to have a look, sklep.toroidy.pl has also indicated that the Supreme Transformers TS10VA PRI:230V SEC:2x 7V toroidal transformer will be much like their listed TSAS20VA... also has the mounting pad side-wiring plate.

twistedpearaudio.com hasn't come back to me on stock/ETA on the Hermes-Amanero and Cronus re-clocking module combos.. so looking at getting an the Amanero Combo 384 USB Interface from Audio GD.. just looking at the TCXO and replacement/modding capabilities

:2thumbs:
I do not recall reading much on the re-clocking modules with the Soekris. As it has its own FIFO buffer it may not be needed?

With the drop in AC mains 2x 7V may be a little less than the ideal 12V, although some DIYAudio guys are running <12V.

How are you planning to split and connect the I2S signals? SPDIF?

I thought of using PC104 connectors... But after reading the ECHO's End articles I may solder directly to board.

Offline Wolvebain

• AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 09:26:37 AM »
The dam1021-12: 0.012% resistor version Rev4 boards requires 7/8 VAC... So I think the TS10VA 2x 7V toroidal transformer should work fine.  As mentioned before, I'll initially use the USB bus-power for the 3.3 & 5 VDC.
If I had gone DC, then I would have prob gone 12VDC set-up.

First step is to assemble 1 board with the Amanero USB to I2S, and test out... Get the Soekris to sync of the fed in clock [verifying via serial console], and check the playback quality, update firmware, etc...

As you mentioned, the dam1021 DAC clock should sync and set automatically on what it's fed, I wanted to get the Hermes-Amanero and Cronus re-clocking module combo... It should also provide the expandability  to use an external clock as well -- This was driven by a whatsapp group chat with s1n0, and the rest of guys from the Centurion Headphone Meeting group,  and their past experiences with DACs with external clocks..
BTW: twistedpearaudio.com has replied with ETA on stock for the Hermes-Amanero and Cronus re-clocking module combo.. :)

As for the split to dual mono from the Amanero USB to I2S, I am prob gonna build [if there is no stock] or buy [if there is assembled stock ] the Input and switch boards for Soekris DAM1021 DAC... which is part of the next step.

The next steps are to pop in a 3.3v/5v regulated VDC power supply [replace the USB bus-power], get the input and switch boards for the dual balanced set-up, 2nd TS10VA 2x 7V toroidal transformer [for the 2nd board], and a pair of solid AC regulators... plus an interface and display set-up
Fight the war...

Offline Wolvebain

• AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 02:04:15 PM »
Sozz.. forgot to mention the wiring...
Like you, I plan on direct solder to the boards.

I'm bidding on 12M of AWG15 Solid Core UPOCC bare silver wire on eBay currently [15hrs remain], but 20AWG will also do...
If I win the bid for the AWG15, or end up buy the 20AWG version at the regular price, I'll get the appropriate size teflon insulation tubes, in different colors, and use that for the wiring...  I initially intended to use 28/26AWG 7N OCC pure copper wire, but think that solid OCC silver would be slightly better overall.
I also have ample Kester 44 Rosin Core solder, for the actual direct connections...

If you need some wire, let me know, as I doubt I would use more than 6M total.
I've also emailed normundss for 1x Assembled input board kit [40 EUR] + 1x Assembled switch board kit [25 EUR] + 1z Additional input board parts for balanced build [5 EUR].. shipping is an extra 9 EUR.. so if you want some as well, we can split the 9 EUR shipping costs -- but I doubt that will be beneficial as local costs from my place to yours might consume that 4.5 EUR, unless there additional items, like the wire, being sent as well.

I've also emailed twistedpearaudio.com for their suggestions on a 3.3/5 VDC regulated power supply kit for the Hermes-Amanero and Cronus re-clocking module combo..  Once I get their feedback, I'll make the order and save on shipping.
Fight the war...

Offline gavinbirss

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 09:00:41 AM »
Wolvebain,

You seem not to be cutting any corners and at my pace you may be finished much sooner than me.
 :2thumbs:

Where are you planning to serial console from? to upload firmware and set left/right.
I had to use HyperTerminal and motherboard based RS232...

Offline Wolvebain

• AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 09:25:16 AM »
@gavinbirss
You right; I don't want to skimp out on the quality, but also don't want to get everything upfront only to find it not worthwhile... Which is why I need to do it in stages....
My pace is only the buying stage... Like I mentioned in an earlier post, this weekend was for the purchase of the 1st phase items... I'm sure you'll be done before most of the items arrive.
BTW: Just paid for the 1.2m AWG15 Solid Core UPOCC bare silver wire [transformer power hookup to PCBs]& 12m 20AWG Solid Core UPOCC bare silver wire [PCBs to PCBs & the XLR's, etc.]

As for the serial console: I plan on digging up and using a RS323 to USB cable from an old UPS.
Either use my Linux OS or Putty/ExtraPutty if I need to be on a Windows OS.
Fight the war...

Offline scrarfussi

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2016, 07:23:07 AM »
any progress here ?
suum cuique pulchrum est

"I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

Offline gavinbirss

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2016, 08:14:09 AM »
any progress here ?

Not much at the moment.  Case is not very nice and it is still leaning towards a plankie

Splitting the I2S signals  using connectors or soldering direct is still a bit of a dilemma. Powersupply is almost ready

Had to revert to using the isolated USB-2_I2S chipset as it works better with DSD128, it's firmware when purchased with 9018K2M  is different.

Offline gavinbirss

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2016, 09:48:58 PM »
Mine is done albeit on a plankie.
Was a bit of a rush job. Wanted to use better wires soldered directly to Soekris and XMOS chipset,  but PCB holes are too small to accommodate thicker wire.

Firmware is 1.06 (FPGA is 1.05), stock filters and volume 00.
Playing as I type...

Offline scrarfussi

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2016, 08:46:45 AM »
pictures or it didnt happen
suum cuique pulchrum est

"I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

Offline gavinbirss

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2016, 10:12:09 AM »

Offline I Shot Tupac!!!

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2016, 10:13:14 AM »
So pretty.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2016, 10:29:01 AM »
pictures or it didnt happen
But you've seen it in the flesh.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline gavinbirss

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2016, 10:31:17 AM »
But you've seen it in the flesh.

Look closely this is the new build,  the dual-balanced version.
1 board does one balanced channel and balanced output from RAW outputs.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2016, 10:32:46 AM »
Aah, I should pay attention :be:

I think I need to hear plankie v2.0...
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.