Anyone in the mood for doing a budget AVForums OB speaker?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimGore

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have had a number of casual requests from guys wanting to do an OB speaker, so perhaps we should start looking into it  ;)

My thinking is as follows:
1.  Use drivers that are locally available and will not break the bank.  Perhaps we can do some kind of a group deal via our friends at PQSound?
2.  Floor standing, but not too massive - the speaker should at least attempt to fit into a normal room, so that really means nothing too wide.
3.  In order to achieve a descent frequency response I think we need to look at a 3 way design.
4.  Passive crossover so we can drive the speaker from a normal amplifier without the need for all kinds of DSP and bi/tri amplification.
5.  Simple design that is easy to build so even forum member with limited woodworking experience can join in.

My participation will not be monetary in any way, so I am not planning on specifically selling any kits or parts.  I think the best way to go is to involve local suppliers and see what we can come up with.

If there is sufficient interest then I will do the design of the speaker itself as well as the crossover, final voicing, etc and publish those details for free on the forum here so we can all get building easily.

Please let me know what your feelings are around the matter?  I reckon if we have a minimum of 5 participants it should be worthwhile?  This way we can try negotiate a bit on volume with the suppliers.

Kind Regards,
Ian.

Latest posts