Author Topic: ...what I did back in the day... (be warned - lots of photos)  (Read 6630 times)

Offline Rhino

Re: ...what I did back in the day... (be warned - lots of photos)
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 03:39:28 PM »
Some truly amazing work that was done.
Each one looked amazing and would definitely sounded great.
Hope to see more pics of projects (Not just speakers but amps etc.)

I think a lot of us envies such great work.
Polk Audio Tsi500 - Fronts, Tsi200 - Bookshelf, Tsi100 - Front Height,  Cs10 - Centre, Integra DTR 50.5 AV Receiver,Sony BDP-S370 Blu-Ray, LG 3D Blu-Ray, Energy Veritas 10" Sub, Clavel 3 Way speaker

Offline Gramophone

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2016, 03:55:08 PM »
You are a master craftsman. Period!   :2thumbs:
"Midnight is where the day begins"

Offline Michon

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2016, 03:57:44 PM »
Here I started messing around with the HE stuff again and for the first time in my life I actually built someone else's design.  The speaker stayed this way for a couple of months before I decided that I wasn't satisfied with the overall presentation.  The final modified version of these things formed the basis for the speakers I listen to these days and consider to be my reference standard.  They are still unfinished (not painted, etc) and I may or may not actually give them paint at some point...

Who's design is this and what is it called?

I would also love to see the loudspeakers that you are listening to these days (that are based upon the final modified version of these).
Plate, vakuum buis versterkers en breŽband oorvormers.

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2016, 04:02:33 PM »
Awesome ...
So when can you do me a simple OB  :dance:
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline RobertChicken

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2016, 05:23:44 PM »
Great stuff Ian, your level of skill is awe inspiring  :clap:
Not really a chicken or a man named Robert, surprised?

Offline HH NS1000

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2016, 06:52:14 PM »
 WOW Ian that is really impressive!!
If you don't understand your own perceptions you cannot really make any sensible judgements.....or should I say you would not really fathom the conclusions you come to.

Offline alternativeroute

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2016, 06:52:44 PM »
Lekker to see some of those project pics again  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline prajayn

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 08:43:05 PM »
Everything I just saw is just beautiful.

Offline fuz940510

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2016, 07:51:52 AM »
Stunning craftsmanship, those walnut speakers are gorgeous!

Still listening to a pair of Litil's quite happily, whenever the bug bites. For nearfield (less than 1m), nothing i have heard yet can compare
If you want to be taken seriously, always check your fly.

Offline cft

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
  • Music makes the world go round....
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 08:17:52 AM »
Some super craftsmanship here!! Very, very nice :thumbs:
LP12 (OL drive & motor), Ittok LVII, Dynavektor XV-1, ML No.25 phono, ML 380s pre, Electrocompaniet AW180's, Vandersteen Quattro's,
VA Predator (on vacation), Sennheiser HD 540 Reference's, NAD 5120TT in bar area & PC through uDSD as digital source

Offline JimGore

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 03:45:28 PM »
Thanks all for your kind words - much appreciated!

Who's design is this and what is it called?

I would also love to see the loudspeakers that you are listening to these days (that are based upon the final modified version of these).

The original design is called the "inConcert Miles" by a gentleman of the name Stig Erik Tangen.

My modification is a heavy one - it adds a dedicated midrange, rearranges the driver layout, physically modifies the tweeter and completely changes the crossovers.  In short - it has morphed into something utterly different and believe it or not - even bigger...

Awesome ...
So when can you do me a simple OB  :dance:

Any time - just let me know when you are ready  :thumbs:

Kind Regards,
Ian.

Offline Michon

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 04:29:09 PM »
The original design is called the "inConcert Miles" by a gentleman of the name Stig Erik Tangen.

My modification is a heavy one - it adds a dedicated midrange, rearranges the driver layout, physically modifies the tweeter and completely changes the crossovers.  In short - it has morphed into something utterly different and believe it or not - even bigger...

Those are extensive modifications from the original design. I would love to see your modified version. Is there a build thread?
Plate, vakuum buis versterkers en breŽband oorvormers.

Offline naughty

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 04:46:43 PM »
Those are extensive modifications from the original design. I would love to see your modified version. Is there a build thread?

there was, but when i found it recently i noticed that he had moved the pics so those do not show up in the thread which makes it difficult to follow when you read it

Offline JimGore

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 06:33:51 PM »

There is a build thread somewhere but as naughty said - it's nearly impossible to follow because the pictures no longer show. Tell you what tho: after I get my room sorted out and the hifi hooked up again you can come over for a listen and I will tell you everything you want to know. How's that sound?

Kind regards,
Ian.

Offline vleisman

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2016, 08:18:27 PM »
This is a set of curved Walnut speakers I built for myself in 2007 and later ended up selling.  Unfortunately I was shafted in the deal by the buyer, but I guess that's school fees.  As a result of what happened with this deal my entire way of doing business has changed for the better.

Construction is also coopered:

Hi Ian
What kind of walnut planks are those? Looks like a solid plank with a laminated section on each? Also, how did you join them?
Regards, Steve