diy vs commercial subs

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stefan

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm contemplating getting a subwoofer for my stereo system. I'm considering an active sealed 12'' design. I'm not really all too hung on sub 20hz, just want something to add a bit more authority and definition at the lower end. 
Reading through the forum, my understanding is that one can have a diy subwoofer for reasonable money that would outperform commercial offerings costing the same and even more! Right?
Now I don't have any technical knowledge and neither the time to do the research, but would like to know why that is.
Surely, if some diy oke in his garage can buy off the shelf drivers and amps and make his own enclosure, a company like b&w can do the same for cheaper? Where does the money saving part come in? In the assembly and construction time, or the use of cheaper parts?
Like I said before, my technical knowledge is lacking, but what I've learned from making things myself doesn't save you thousands, but rather gives you satisfaction and in a sense a customised end result!