Poll

When you decide on a loudspeaker for you main system which criteria influence you decision mostly

Sound quality
38 (41.8%)
Industrial Design(looks, aesthetics)
8 (8.8%)
Technical design(2-way/ 3-way; use of a certain typology(crossover slopes/drivers etc)
1 (1.1%)
Brand
3 (3.3%)
Synergy with products you own
13 (14.3%)
Price
9 (9.9%)
Ability to play loud
1 (1.1%)
Ability to sound good in different settings/room/ systems
5 (5.5%)
Ease of drive (sensitive, friendly impedance
3 (3.3%)
Qualitity/workmanship
6 (6.6%)
Service back-up and service abilllty
3 (3.3%)
Speaker to fit your current needs i.t.o. of room size or application(stereo/AV system)
1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Voting closed: March 14, 2016, 09:51:49 AM

Author Topic: Criteria for choosing a loudpseaker  (Read 1531 times)

Online Air

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Music lover and involved in industry
    • Airmusic
Criteria for choosing a loudpseaker
« on: February 13, 2016, 09:51:49 AM »
 A big thank you, to all of you that participated in the  previous poll.  :clap: The result of the 1st poll of is insightful, but I have a 2nd set of questions that we  perhaps can explore. (I am happy to take suggestions on how to make it more interesting in the 1st few days after which I will keep it more fixed :) )

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
Re: Criteria for choosing a loudpseaker
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 11:32:06 AM »
Interessant man! Hoop da respond klomp ouens.

Maybe ad something around room size/configuration?

Cheers!
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Online Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 12:24:30 PM »
Hi Nirvana agree it is starting to become interesting.. see what you think about the added category?

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 03:25:39 PM »
^^  :thumbs:
See it's already moving up on the criteria tree! We know there is interaction between room configuration/size and spkr dispersion patterns/size,so it should be considered.
Interestingly,I see the criteria I considered NB,seem to be on most guys list.No surprise in finding SQ at the top,although this is a subjective judgement in itself,and will depend on the rest of the criteria and room interaction/treatment?

Offline carel1966

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Centurion
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 03:36:03 PM »
I think "Sound Quality" and "Price" will be top on most peoples list.
It would be interesting if they are removed, i.e. see what else is (also) important.
As long as I can still enjoy the music I'm happy.

PS: My listening preference - 90% Stereo Music; 9% Surround Music; 1% Movies and other

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 03:43:41 PM »
SQ is perhaps to broad a category, especially because it over-laps with a few others like tech desig,synergy, etc.
It's only hifi people....

Online Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 04:28:56 PM »
Thanks for chiming in and thinking with me about the poll. I realise that SQ is almost too obvious, but leaving it out would have been equally awkward. In hindsight the question could have read "in addition to SQ, what other criteria are important..." with more than 20 votes in and trends emerging I think I would leave it as it is for the moment, but point taken Carel1966. :)

Price is interesting as it does plays a vital role but with the forced choice option there were quite a number of forumites who did not tick the price block.. so for some, it may not be as high on the list.

Atjan I also agree that SQ is broad, but decided intentionally for this poll to deal with it is this way..just a general weighing of SQ. I have a 3rd poll in mind in which I want to probe a bit deeper into the SQ general factor by means of a set of specific elements of what could constitute sound quality. I do not, however, see it overlap with technical design. In this poll I am  interested if someone would make a decision purely on the design considerations, let say a 2-way, or a beryllium tweeter etc. In many discussion with people I got the impression that they hold strong views in terms of such aspects, but from the results its seems it is more a secondary consideration. I am still honing my thoughts around the SQ poll, so if you have ideas, why don't you send me a PM. I don't want to have too many things running concurrently and will only put the  poll up in a week or 2.

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 04:44:38 PM »
Speaker to fit your current needs i.t.o. of room size or application(stereo/AV system)

:thinking: How did I miss this when I ticked the boxes

I have seen that even with room treatments, speakers that are too big just don't work.Perhaps DSP is the answer here but not yet tried that route.
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 05:53:01 PM »
^^ I think Stefan added this later,CAD?

Was also going to suggest breaking SQ into sub categories (ie tonal qualities/balance,sound stage,transparency etc etc) but let's see what Stefan comes up with,the design is probably too far into development to adjust for these?

Online Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 06:09:02 PM »
Hi guys, I will definitely delve into the SQ a bit more with a set of criteria as Nirvana started to outline by means of one more poll. I just don't want to take away from the interest and momentum with this poll. SQ warrants a poll on its own, I think. In my own mind, I am working towards a comprehensive and inclusive framework to break down SQ in a number of distinct factors, with primary determinants, secondary factors and maybe  tertiary factors. I will cover aspect such a coherence, tone, tempo and texture etc in primary determinants; extension (both bass and high freq), transparency, detail, macro and micro dynamic ability etc  in the secondary list and the maybe's include linearity, phase coherence, etc in the last tertiary category. Soundstage could be broken down in width and  depth etc as well.. if you have ideas let me know..
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 06:11:20 PM by Air »

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 06:18:42 PM »
^^ I think Stefan added this later,CAD?

:sweat: :sweat: Hope so otherwise I am seriously loosing my marbles  :giggle:
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Online Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 06:25:59 PM »
CAD take it from me, your marbles are all intact, no screws loose and you probably not been under the influence of any substance, either legal or illegal. :cool:
Nirvana twisted my arm..  ;)

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 09:31:38 PM »
Hehe,all good,CAD!  :thumbs:

Wonder if it could be insightful finding out how guys listen,and reach conclusions when doing A/B's?
I know in my case (don't do A/B anymore  :giggle:) I sometimes found it hard to describe exactly why one component seemed to have an X factor over another..?
 :2c:

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 06:17:10 PM »
The room factors 30% of the sound quality I think it's most important that you get a speaker that fits into your listening environment. SQ also doesn't matter if the room handicaps a better performing speaker. Synergy is also important, but it's more important to pick the best transducer that you can and building down stream from that. No speaker in the world, no matter how good, is going to give you joy if you don't enjoy them up front. I'd also say that speaker load and demands are also important as it determines what components you can partner with it. I'd spend more money on higher quality efficient speakers that require less expensive amplifiers than spending more money on average speakers with excessive amplification demands.

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 08:18:15 PM »
I can't see the poll in Tapatalk. Anyone know how to do that?
It's only hifi people....