Poll

Do you want a dedicated Car audio section?

Forum allows car audio posts, thats good enough, no dedicated section needed
Yes, I want a dedicated car audio section
When the car audio guys move in, the rest move out
Hell no!
Wouldnt hurt

Author Topic: Dedicated Car audio section  (Read 3983 times)

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Dedicated Car audio section
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 03:50:38 PM »
I believe Joel was an SPL champ and he is a really nice guy. Stereotypes generally work, but should be taken with a bag of salt, mostly. ;) 

I love good sound and spend a lot more time  in my car than in my mancave, hence I have upgraded my car audio and input from guys with a lot of experience was very welcome.

I'd therefore actually enjoy a car audio SQ section. I see a lot of value in that.
Unfortunately, the risk is that it may all spin out of control if it still attracts an incompatable crowd.
It's only hifi people....

Offline BobsYourUncle

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 03:57:07 PM »
Hmm, that's a good case of stereotyping... Car audio isn't all about "BOOOM TISS". A lot of guys spend a lot of money, time and effort to create a high level of audio quality in their cars. Joel visited the offices a few months back with a colleague of his who'd equipped his bakkie with a stunning sound system. Car audio isn't just about creating insane SPLs.

Yes, I agree , it is , But lets face it, car audio attracts the people who I have stereo typed. A dedicated thread would see an influx of that type of person. I have nothing against car audio, I upgrade the audio in my vehicles, but know that having a dedicated car audio is an invite for the wrong crowd to flood the forum. How do you ban a Starsound topic here if its posted in the car audio section? How do you ban SPL topics ? How do you stop "that" crowd from flooding into the forum?
That's my concern, and I believe its a valid argument.

Kempton Park, Estrand,GP

Offline BobsYourUncle

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 03:59:06 PM »
I believe Joel was an SPL champ and he is a really nice guy. Stereotypes generally work, but should be taken with a bag of salt, mostly. ;) 

I love good sound and spend a lot more time  in my car than in my mancave, hence I have upgraded my car audio and input from guys with a lot of experience was very welcome.

I'd therefore actually enjoy a car audio SQ section. I see a lot of value in that.
Unfortunately, the risk is that it may all spin out of control if it still attracts an incompatable crowd.

That's my concern
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 05:56:54 PM »
Yes, I agree , it is , But lets face it, car audio attracts the people who I have stereo typed. A dedicated thread would see an influx of that type of person. I have nothing against car audio, I upgrade the audio in my vehicles, but know that having a dedicated car audio is an invite for the wrong crowd to flood the forum. How do you ban a Starsound topic here if its posted in the car audio section? How do you ban SPL topics ? How do you stop "that" crowd from flooding into the forum?
That's my concern, and I believe its a valid argument.

you know for a fact that this crowd will be able to over run the forum? ..... the idea is that in other places the moderators did not control things properly - here people are reprimanded and threads are deleted when they go out of control and people can be banned .... if the moderators exercise control then these people can be controlled or got rid of

not everyone who listens to car audio is a "pounder" type of guy .... there are many people registered in this forum already that used to be at speed and sound (i can probably name over 20 people right now that i currently know off including guys who supposedly made trouble over at SNS but here they are gentler than lambs and sheep) so a lot of the active guys from SNS are already here and they are not causing the trouble you seem to imply they are going to cause if they land up here HINT : most of them are already here, either with the same nick or under a different username

you are speculating and generalising too much in your objections without any valid reason whatsoever .... possibly because you dont know any of those people who were registered at SNS BUT they are all already here and causing absolutely no problems so i have to conclude that you dont really know what you are talking about ..... if the moderators ask me i can provide a list of the 20+ people who were registered at SNS but thats unfairly targeting people since they have to be judged on what they do here at this forum while here, instead of what they did at another forum so thats actually a pointless exercise and unfortunately so are most of your arguments against a car audio section

there are as many people who listen to great audiophile grade car audio as there are people who listen to good Hi-Fi (i know since i have heard many of those peoples systems throughout the country and plenty of the guys in Durban still bring their car systems over to me to have a listen - all of these guys have car audio systems that cost far more than an average entry level system at home ... many of these guys have spent more on their cars system than i have on my home system .... so if you wish to insist on generalisations then i can safely conclude that they are richer than and have better jobs than most people with entry level systems in this forum anyway)

and if you really think that i am generalising then imagine how ridiculous your arguments seem to the many people in this forum who do have good car audio systems who dont advertise that fact  :nfi: 

BTW : why would you want to ban a starsound topic ie starsound is a brand, and many people buy starsound because its affordable and it doesnt make all those people troublemakers ie when i first started in car audio i started with starsound amps and when i had my last system i can guarantee you that my car speakers (aftermarket dynaudio esotec drivers) probably currently retail for more than the speakers you currently own in your home system .... and thats not putting too fine a point on it
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 06:07:18 PM by naughty »

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 08:21:45 PM »
How do you ban SPL topics ?

:facepalm:

What year is this? 1984? Dictate what people can and can't talk about? Censor!? Pre-judge folks on how they _might_ act?

:flame:

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Katji

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • soundcloud
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 09:05:34 PM »
Naughty could be the moderator.  :whip:
 :sh1tstirrer:
#SPOTIFYMUSTFALL

Offline mahleu

• Modem Forumator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Call a spade a spade, not a banana.
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 09:13:32 PM »

Not concise enough.
Always up for coffee and investments - insurance - retirement.

Offline naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 09:37:12 PM »

most people on this forum dont like me enough to want me to be a moderator ... though i was a moderator on other car audio forums as well as PC related forums like systemshock etc so i am well aware of what it entails to be a moderator ..... but im also sure there will be mini riot in this forum if they appoint me as a moderator 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 09:44:20 PM by naughty »

Offline Katji

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • soundcloud
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 09:41:45 PM »
Sorry I meant bobsyouruncle. :D Sorry, just realised it and came back to correct - too late.

PS imo, it's only possible if someone is willing to be moderator, and understands what it could be like.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 09:45:58 PM by Katji »
#SPOTIFYMUSTFALL

Offline naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2016, 09:45:49 PM »
Sorry I meant bobsyouruncle. :D Sorry, just realised it and came back to correct - too late.

if he lands up being the moderator all the people just typing one word in that section will get instantly banned  :facepalm:

« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 09:59:07 PM by naughty »

Offline gov

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2016, 10:24:22 PM »
Some of the guys from the old SnS forum and Car Audio SA Facebook page started a forum.

http://carsoundsa.co.za/index.php

Offline BobsYourUncle

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2016, 11:21:18 PM »
you know for a fact that this crowd will be able to over run the forum? ..... the idea is that in other places the moderators did not control things properly - here people are reprimanded and threads are deleted when they go out of control and people can be banned .... if the moderators exercise control then these people can be controlled or got rid of

not everyone who listens to car audio is a "pounder" type of guy - .... there are many people registered in this forum already that used to be at speed and sound (i can probably name over 20 people right now that i currently know off including guys who supposedly made trouble over at SNS but here they are gentler than lambs and sheep) so a lot of the active guys from SNS are already here and they are not causing the trouble you seem to imply they are going to cause if they land up here HINT : most of them are already here, either with the same nick or under a different username

you are speculating and generalising too much in your objections without any valid reason whatsoever .... possibly because you dont know any of those people who were registered at SNS BUT they are all already here and causing absolutely no problems so i have to conclude that you dont really know what you are talking about ..... if the moderators ask me i can provide a list of the 20+ people who were registered at SNS but thats unfairly targeting people since they have to be judged on what they do here at this forum while here, instead of what they did at another forum so thats actually a pointless exercise and unfortunately so are most of your arguments against a car audio section

there are as many people who listen to great audiophile grade car audio as there are people who listen to good Hi-Fi (i know since i have heard many of those peoples systems throughout the country and plenty of the guys in Durban still bring their car systems over to me to have a listen - all of these guys have car audio systems that cost far more than an average entry level system at home ... many of these guys have spent more on their cars system than i have on my home system .... so if you wish to insist on generalisations then i can safely conclude that they are richer than and have better jobs than most people with entry level systems in this forum anyway)

and if you really think that i am generalising then imagine how ridiculous your arguments seem to the many people in this forum who do have good car audio systems who dont advertise that fact  :nfi: 

BTW : why would you want to ban a starsound topic ie starsound is a brand, and many people buy starsound because its affordable and it doesnt make all those people troublemakers ie when i first started in car audio i started with starsound amps and when i had my last system i can guarantee you that my car speakers (aftermarket dynaudio esotec drivers) probably currently retail for more than the speakers you currently own in your home system .... and thats not putting too fine a point on it
didnt realise that this had anythig to do with the value of a persons gear? The money = class argument is realy not valid here.What a person spends on gear in no way dictates the way they behave.  Just because you disagree with what I say doesnt make my arguments invalid
:facepalm:

What year is this? 1984? Dictate what people can and can't talk about? Censor!? Pre-judge folks on how they _might_ act?

:flame:
Thats exactly my point! You cant stop those sort of topics if you allow a car audio thread, anything goes. Who knows, perhaps Autostyle will get their own dealer thread too.
Anyway, it seems as if I am out numbered here, and that pending the appointment of a moderator that this will go ahead anyway.
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP

Offline naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2016, 11:49:00 PM »
didnt realise that this had anythig to do with the value of a persons gear? The money = class argument is realy not valid here.What a person spends on gear in no way dictates the way they behave.

you started that argument and did imply that .... with the crap about stopping starsound topics ..... starsound doesnt only make SPL or pounding equipment .... their amps are good enough starter amps for a lot of people who cannot afford better to start off with, and just because they make stuff that sells cheap you want to stop people from talking about them? what a load of old hat 

Offline BobsYourUncle

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2016, 12:45:02 AM »
you started that argument and did imply that .... with the crap about stopping starsound topics ..... starsound doesnt only make SPL or pounding equipment .... their amps are good enough starter amps for a lot of people who cannot afford better to start off with, and just because they make stuff that sells cheap you want to stop people from talking about them? what a load of old hat
Nope, didnt imply that at all.My argument has never been about the amount of money that gets thrown behind gear or who has the better gear,job etc. Its about the quality of the information. To me , this forum is a priceless source of info and I would like to see it stay that way and not degrade into "just another sound forum" because a certain crowd moves in and "chases" the quality contibutors away(which I fear will happen if this is not strictly modded, but how do you strictly mod a car sound section, as you could argue for example that a sound off at a drag racing event is a valid topic?) . I have raised my concerns which I have every right to do and I feel are valid regardless of whether others agree or get upset and think its all"a bunch of old hat". No need for you to continue fighting a battle that you have already won and for me to continue fighting a battle that I have already lost.
Think perhaps this topic has gone on long enough and perhaps its starting to resemble a circle.
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP

Offline Michon

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+43)
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2016, 06:07:03 AM »
Some of the guys from the old SnS forum and Car Audio SA Facebook page started a forum.

http://carsoundsa.co.za/index.php

Thanks  :thumbs:

Hopefully it picks up and becomes a nice forum.