Extending Windows Media Center 7.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xrapidx

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All

Does anyone here use a Media Center? I've been running one for quite a few years, and recently upgraded to Windows 7 Media Center. I use it for TV, DVDs, Music, etc. I'm about to go through the process of a hardware upgrade as its starting to take strain. I'm going to put in a Bluray reader and a decent 7 channel sound card that has hardware supports for today's sound formats, as well as upgrade the motherboard and cpu.

What I'd like to know is if anyone has any advise on extending the media center to other rooms? I'd ideally like to have access to everything stored on the media center in other rooms, including the live TV. The hiccup is the cost of media center extenders - they're a few thousand which is a rip off considering you could use an XBOX360 (not an option) for a fraction of the cost.

I'm comfortable with putting in CAT5/6 network cable - as I don't think wireless will be stable enough, let alone have the capacity for streaming.

Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry - this was supposed to go in General - mods feel free to move.

Latest posts