Author Topic: T-Rex is dead  (Read 4205 times)

Offline itscraig

T-Rex is dead
« on: January 30, 2016, 10:31:20 AM »
T-Rex is dead,
DEAD! DEAD! DEAD! i tell you.

Rudi has started work on a new amp that is based on the T-Rex but is so much better i can't believe that it is even based on the T-Rex.
so far i have had the Giusto MOD and can say it is a completely different AMP.
more clarity, detail separation, bass etc etc etc.

is it neutral, yes
i am basing it on the comparison to headphone's and good amps and sound like.
it was said on this forum that for minimum expense get a good set of earphones and amp and you can start to get high end quality.so based on that statement his new Giusto AMP is in my opinion going to be a giant killer. just the MOD makes it an unbelievable monster.

Giusto means exact and precise, and boy does it live up to it's name.

keep up the good work Rudi,
i am loving the Guiso MOD

Offline WD

Re: T-Rex is dead
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 12:10:09 PM »
Shoo - my first response is: I want I want.. but.. I love my TRex so much, just as it is right now.. every other amp I've tried draws too much attention to itself.

Would be very interested to hear it though - interest piqued!

Offline itscraig

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 12:16:17 PM »
you cannot believe the difference, no loss in any way just huge gains in the dynamics and sound stage
just ask Rudi to do you a set of new boards to drop in and see the difference.

Offline WD

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 12:47:24 PM »
you cannot believe the difference, no loss in any way just huge gains in the dynamics and sound stage
just ask Rudi to do you a set of new boards to drop in and see the difference.

Ordering whisky as we speak.. :giggle:

Offline SeanS

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 09:14:02 PM »
mmmm.... I need to know more :)... T-Rex #2 may be a target.

Offline itscraig

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 11:59:41 PM »
mmmm.... I need to know more :)... T-Rex #2 may be a target.
if you in Jozi come and listen

Offline Atjan

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 08:20:25 PM »
Had a nice listen today to the upgraded T-Rex in Geco's system and was able to compare it to my kidNAP as well. I have't built my T-Rex yet so a direct comparison to before and after mod is difficult for me.
My general feeling was that I still love the sound of my kidNAP, but I WANT the moded T-Rex! It is just a much more refined amp - better top-end, tighter bass and definitely more seperation between notes. The latter is probably due to the servo type feedback.
Listening to some old favs today on Geco's system was a lot of fun. It was in some cases like listening to the stuff for the first time.
When I do build the T-Rex, it will definitely include this mod. :2thumbs:
It's only hifi people....

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 08:30:46 PM »

Had a nice listen today to the upgraded T-Rex in Geco's system and was able to compare it to my kidNAP as well. I have't built my T-Rex yet so a direct comparison to before and after mod is difficult for me.
My general feeling was that I still love the sound of my kidNAP, but I WANT the moded T-Rex! It is just a much more refined amp - better top-end, tighter bass and definitely more seperation between notes. The latter is probably due to the servo type feedback.
Listening to some old favs today on Geco's system was a lot of fun. It was in some cases like listening to the stuff for the first time.
When I do build the T-Rex, it will definitely include this mod. :2thumbs:

Telling you it was the speakers and the room. 
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline itscraig

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 08:54:56 PM »
:ROFLMAO:
how it managed to replicate it's self in my space i do not know.

it is kind of like the little thing you did yesterday to my TT, without me knowing you changed the belt and the record we were listening to changed. the woman's voice popped out into the front of the stage. if you told me this, and i had not been there and heard it, i would have laughed. how can a belt make such a change? no idea but it did.

thank you for your great work i am loving the TT

Offline Atjan

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 10:55:13 PM »
Could also be the cables that just synergized better with the T-Rex. :giggle:

Seriously though, both amps are more than capable of driving the speakers, hence you are operating the last sort of 5-10% of what the room and speakers are capable of. To my taste, I really like what the T-Rex does.
It's only hifi people....

Offline Rhino

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 11:42:15 PM »
Some pics of the new upgraded TRex please
Polk Audio Tsi500 - Fronts, Tsi200 - Bookshelf, Tsi100 - Front Height,  Cs10 - Centre, Integra DTR 50.5 AV Receiver,Sony BDP-S370 Blu-Ray, LG 3D Blu-Ray, Energy Veritas 10" Sub, Clavel 3 Way speaker

Offline Tonteldoos

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 03:21:19 PM »
I have the new mod in my system too. Caps are still playing in, but what Rudi achieved here is ASTONISHING.

The first version of the mod created a tiny bit too much bass in my room, so I would like to call my version no. 2.0.2 of the T.Rex... if that makes sense!

But after the second round of tweaks, I would say, comfortably, that it sounds like a completely different amp. I have tried to put on an album as background music, and been compelled to sit down and listen. I have put on some of my favourite songs, some of which define some of my most memorable moments in hifi, and been moved to tears. Not a bit of emotion. Tears.

In my room, I'm still playing around a bit with the speakers to get the bass response right (there is a LOT of bass - but it is so well balanced with the mids and treble, that I don't want to lose too much). And to be clear, my speakers are known for somewhat light bass.... so what this amp is managing to extract from them, is phenomenal.

I would say, easily, that this mod has made this amp sound like something double its original value.

And it has been playing constantly for about 48 hours for the new caps to settle in. Can't wait to sit down and listen properly tonight. Hard as it may be to believe, it is still likely to get better!

Offline Michon

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 04:41:15 PM »
I had a listen to the modified T-Rex at GECO's place today.

Extremely pleasant experience.

One of my most enjoyable listening sessions in a while. GECO's system is great and the amp is great.
Local talent is excellent and experiencing it first hand through the forum has enriched my life.

Anyone looking to buy a new amp should consider these modded version T-rex's or the new ones coming out.

Plate, vakuum buis versterkers en breŽband oorvormers.

Offline DeonC

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 05:39:46 PM »
More info please. Any prices on boards yet? :rubhands:
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 06:27:36 PM »
What is a T-Rex (the electronic version that is)?
Even duct tape canít fix stupidÖ but it can muffle the sound