Author Topic: How do you like your new NuPrime?  (Read 6642 times)

Offline itscraig

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: How do you like your new NuPrime?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 08:34:56 PM »
i do not like it as a pre, but as a DAC it is good value for money. in its price range it is very competent.
the detail is good, the soundstage is good and it is warm. i am finding it a bit strong on the base with a forward mid but i am missing the highs that i like on some other DAC's the cymbals are a bit dull. not badly dull just a touch.
all in all a very good DAC

no one has commented on the uDSD, that is an incredible buy at the price.

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 10:37:22 PM »
i am finding it a bit strong on the base with a forward mid but i am missing the highs that i like on some other DAC's the cymbals are a bit dull.

If you are pairing with the LCD2's ... they have sharp roll-off in the treble. Without having heard the Nuprime or any other DAC in your system .. so guessing really.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline itscraig

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 06:36:19 AM »
If you are pairing with the LCD2's ... they have sharp roll-off in the treble. Without having heard the Nuprime or any other DAC in your system .. so guessing really.
no, this is in the main system, still very nice to listen to.

Offline WD

• Formerly Waterhond
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 02:40:24 PM »
So - having listened to the Dac-9 for about 2 weeks now I can share some impressions.

The Dac-9 sounded good from the start after about 30 mins of warm up. Initial impressions were that it sounded well "rounded" with a very nice and sweet midrange and top end (bearing in mind that my hearing doesn't extend much past 13 kHz   :shh:  :OMG:). Bass in my system is strong but balanced and very much the opposite of "one note", being textured, tight and revealing. In fact, the last three descriptive words can be used for the whole frequency range.

After a couple of days the sound really acquired an added dimension as it became even more smooth and effortless and it started showing a really special ability for resolving the sound stage. Instrument placement and solidity is exceptionally rock solid and three dimensional with very clear depth and layering. Placement of instruments left to right and front to back is easily discernable and truly the best I've heard in my system.

When I tried it initially as a preamp directly into a T-Rex power amp and an Adcom it didn't really work that well... buuut.. after the two week burn in period I tried again and it is now a totally different animal and sounds very, very good in that role!

Overall the sound is now very well balanced with that rounded tinge of warmth and sweetness and great ability to reveal the tonality and texture of the instruments. Dynamics are also well presented conveying jump, punch and drama where needed, and subtlety and finesse when asked to.

Still some more listening and experimenting to do with cables and an Audiophilleo usb to spdif converter etc. Will update my impressions.

For me it is already an easy recommendation to try and/ or buy! If I had the cash I would buy a 2nd one for my office straightaway.. :thumbs:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:47:56 PM by WD »

Offline joel

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • Thirteen Hof
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 04:35:46 PM »
Thank you for the feedback WD.
Glad you're enjoying your DAC.

Contact us to book a demo. - Twitter

Offline itscraig

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 04:21:28 PM »
Joel, thank you for your time this morning and the opportunity to test the DAC10
I really appreciate it.

Offline Spurge

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 07:47:05 AM »
Any further review progress on using the MCH-K38 ?

Cant get to mine to test/use so dependent on feedback here.

Thanks

Offline juventino

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 09:39:19 AM »
Joel, thank you for your time this morning and the opportunity to test the DAC10
I really appreciate it.

What did you think of the 10 compared to the 9?
ESS vs AKM?
Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline windshear

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 03:39:46 PM »
Any further review progress on using the MCH-K38 ?

Cant get to mine to test/use so dependent on flick here.

Thanks

I don't have enough hours on it yet. First things first, im very disappointed in the heat it puts out. Its so hot you will burn yourself if you leave your hand on the top and that's with only two channels under test for now. It seems a bit light in the bass compared to my current 2 channel amp. Maybe not a fair comparison. In terms of output measured nearfield and in room, its about 1db down in the midrange in out put and 2 dB's hotter from 6Khz to 12khz in output once again compared to my current set up. The other big disappointment is the gain on the output volume via balanced input its 7,5 dBs less sensitive than what im used to.

Offline Mandarin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 04:24:17 PM »
I am also a bit concerned about the heat issue. I have the avp ontop of it and only left it on for about 30 mins the other night without any channels active and I could not touch the top of it. Surely putting the avp ontop of it should not cause heat issues with no channels actively running?

Offline achim

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Good brands in good hands
    • 13hof
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 04:28:21 PM »
....regarding the "heat"...well be happy that you dont have a Gryphon Amp... ;)  or some big Valves...
I might be old-fashioned when I say.."what stays cold performs cold..." (I know that there are exceptions....).

Otherwise I m a bit surprised that a Multi Channel Amp gets reviewed in a 2 channel configuration.

May I ask you what your previous set up was (Processor/Pre, Amp...and speakers)

@Mandarin and all others....please do not place any other unit on top of the amp (any amp).

Offline Mandarin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 04:51:55 PM »
Ok no worries. Iam just a bit out of space because of the yamaha and the avp.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 04:54:25 PM by Mandarin »

Offline itscraig

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2016, 10:21:22 AM »
The NuPrime DAC10-H is one amazing DAC/amp. although i still prefer my tube pre, it is an accomplished pre-amp and by no means not an enjoyable listen.
the DAC side of it is crazy good, on par or very close to the T+A
incredible detail, separation , instrument placement, really good base, and remains very musical and easy to listen to.
crank the volume and it just keeps the sound stage growing no loss of any detail.
absolutely love it.

compared to the DAC9, the first thing that comes to mind is the law of diminishing returns. the DAC9 is a good DAC and in it's price range possibly the best there is, including some of the high end used equipment bargains.
the cost of the 9 to the 10 is a big jump but all i can say is there is something special about the 10 and to me it is worth the investment.

sorry no time to waste on the computer i must go and listen some more.

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2016, 10:23:03 AM »
The IDA-16 gets quite toasty as well. I think it was just designed to radiate a lot of heat through the chassis and that also serves to keep it at optimal operating temperature. If the sound is a bit thin give it a couple of more hours of burn in, I've found the sound becomes more full with time and its better to leave the gear switched on. Imo it does take a bit getting used to the uncoloured sound of the Class D amps. My KEFs are very clean sounding speakers and work very well with the NuPrime gear and I imagine Vivid Audio gear would also sound very good. I'm not entirely convinced by the ESS DACs so far, they do add a bit to the thinness of sound, maybe the AKM DACs would have been a better match with the Class D amps and the ESS better with the Class A + D. Still many of us have been fed a steady diet of coloured gear our entire audio lives. Sometimes it's tough to make the switch. I've done some piano comparisons on my grand piano vs the same piece on my sound system and the sound quality is definitely of a high calibre.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:28:32 AM by kamikazi »

Offline achim

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Good brands in good hands
    • 13hof
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2016, 03:31:40 PM »
an IDA8 gets quite hot as well.... but again....what stays cold sound cold and what gets hot......sounds hot?!
When it comes to Pre s, DACs or CD Player - I always leave them on - the difference is so significant.

I also realized that NuPrimes need to be played for quite a time ...but holy moly.....than these amps and DACs are exceptional in their price ranges. I think this is also important to mention..... of course an IDA8 is not the best Integrated/DAC on planet earth...but for the money almost a joke. The same for the IDA16 - thats definitiv an Integrated "for adults"...well and DAC 10 or ST 10 it s in relation - even to the US retail a bargain - and South Africans having the first time the great advantage that our pricing is by far the cheapest....

So my job in the next weeks is to find ideal combinations for NuPrime products....like I did with my Max 1 speakers.....
Not the individual component makes the music...the combination makes it..