Author Topic: How do you like your new NuPrime?  (Read 6473 times)

Offline achim

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Good brands in good hands
    • 13hof
How do you like your new NuPrime?
« on: January 27, 2016, 11:53:39 AM »
Dear Friends.... we shipped a lot uDSD, IDA 8, IDA 16, ST 10 and DAC 10 (H).....and now MCH38K, AVP, DAC 9 and ST 9
How does it look, how does it look and how does it sound?

Contact us to book a demo. - Twitter

Offline juventino

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: How do you like your new NuPrime?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 12:52:10 PM »
I will post my thoughts on the DAC-9 on Monday.
Will do some comparisons over the weekend and share my thoughts.

From the listening i have done so far I can say I am happy with the DAC 9 sound. So far its about 60-65hrs run in and it is settling in nicely.
Out of the box soundstage and bass left much to be desired and thought maybe it wasnt going to match my system.

Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline WD

• Formerly Waterhond
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 12:52:41 PM »
My Dac-9 is a ten!

Still getting acquainted but so far I am suitably impressed and liking it very much indeed!

The description they've given it as a "reference quality professional level dac" is accurate in my estimation so far.

I will try and do a bit of a write-up when I've had more time to listen. :thumbs:

Offline achim

• Commercial Member
    • 13hof
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 10:31:31 AM »
.....I m very curious to read about your comments...

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 11:01:10 AM »
IDA 16 is rocking on the KEFs. Still early days, will post more detailed impressions later.

Offline achim

• Commercial Member
    • 13hof
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 04:37:56 PM »
I got good news..... due to the delayed Launch of NuPrime AVP and MCH 38K ...we ll be able to supply 10 more units - still at early Birds conditions  (the retail in Rand of both went up but we are still far below US retail).
I think this is a fantastic opportunity to upgrade your Home Cinema...

So I hope some sleeping birds are waking up...?

We ll get Microphones (for the AVPs) as well ...and in the next shipment the Mics will be included of course....

Offline zer0

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 07:46:06 AM »
I got good news..... due to the delayed Launch of NuPrime AVP and MCH 38K ...we ll be able to supply 10 more units - still at early Birds conditions  (the retail in Rand of both went up but we are still far below US retail).
I think this is a fantastic opportunity to upgrade your Home Cinema...
What was the Early bird price for each of the products again?

Offline xenithon

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 07:47:34 AM »
Still early days, and I will be (slowly but surely) putting together a review of the DAC-10H. Thus far though, I am incredibly satisfied. Bear in mind that:
- the DAC10H is brand new; not sure how and if burn-in will make a difference
- the headphones I am using them with (HD800s) are still burning in and have less than 100hrs on them
- the input I am using is just coax from a Marantz DVD player used as a transport; using a crappy zipcord digital cable from an old HTIB

Thus far what I am hearing is a strange combination of clarity and sweetness that I am not used. I am well aware and accustomed to the potentially shrill nature of the HD800s; but even with taxing female vocals and violin it is beguiling. Bass control and depth is also noteworthy. If you think the HD800s don't do bass, think again.

What I look forward to is:
- full burn in of all components
- getting a decent digital coax cable
- hooking it up via USB to my Mac Mini and playing digital files, including hires / DSD
- trying it out through the balanced HP output with aftermarket balanced headphone cable

Offline Mandarin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 09:51:50 AM »
My AVP and MCH K38 should arrive today and then I will test it against the Yamaha 3050.

Offline kamikazi

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 12:08:30 PM »
Well the guys who got NuPrime AV amps definitely won't be sorry. Currently have the IDA-16 in HT pass through mode and it totally stomps through movie soundtracks with a bass control and authority through the front speakers that is quite difficult to believe. Better than any multi-channel amp I've heard to date. I can just imagine what five channels on the MCH K38 will sound like.

Be cautious of first impressions on the NuPrime gear, it has been some time since I've experienced a component that changed so radically in the first couple of hours with burn in. Make sure you've got good source material as well. I could clearly hear the difference between HD movie formats and the lesser compressed 48KHz tracks.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 12:10:41 PM by kamikazi »

Offline xenithon

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 12:42:20 PM »
Be cautious of first impressions on the NuPrime gear, it has been some time since I've experienced a component that changed so radically in the first couple of hours with burn in.

Interesting. After some more burn in I will sample the first set of CD's I listened to, to see if and how it has changed.

One little quirk which confused me: I have been using it solely with a CD transport via digital coax. On some CD's the DAC10H shows "44.1" and on some it shows "48", which didn't quite make sense.

Offline kalith

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 01:00:21 PM »
I managed to get my AVP and MCH K38 all connected early sunday morning to try and get a few hours worth of listening.
I put on some tracks from about 8AM onwards to allow it some burn in time and began listening from about 1-2PM.
The competition was my Onkyo AVR acting as Pre and NAD M25 power amp.

I listened a bit when i initially switched over and noticed a wider soundstage on my GX 300's of the bat and the bass response was pretty damn impressive as well.Both my AVR and nuprime had double bass enabled.
The music at startup was initially a little lean\unfocused  so i let the setup play for a few hours at a pretty decent volume in the background.
I started seriaasly listening in the afgernoon after the unit had been burning in for 5-6 hours. Must say the MCH K38 runs fairly hot and i think it takes a bit of time to get to optimal temperature.
What transpired was one of the more enjoyable music listening sessions i have had in quite some time.
The onkyo i thought always coloured the music a bit.It had a leaner slightly harsher touch which was tempered quite a bit by the M25. Quite a few people told me i would get a much better sound with a dedicated pre.
The Nuprime combo had a totally different sound and i do mean diffffferent. Very difficult to describe but i would probably settle on a more natural warmer sound that just washes over a person.
Also while the music was very well controlled it was too my mind also a uncoloured reproduction sounding more natural and much more detail ladden than my Yamaha or Onkyo AVR's acting as pr's.
My thoughts a half hour into the listening session was ,is this what people mean when they refer to the capability's of a dedicated pre ? ,if so i have been missing out a lot for quite some time   :wallbreak:

While this is literally early day l im really looking forward to :
Putting some flac and other high fidelity audio thru its paces. Only done my more normal listening 256kbps and 320kbps formats so far.
Exploring the HD moie experience on the AVP as well as testing the AVP playback capbility.
Some further burn in and settling of the MCH K38.
Playing with the DSD
etc.......

In short a very happy camper already at day 1. I cant wait to dig deeper into the potential of the Nuprime Combo.
AS i explore more functionality il pop my feedback thru.

Offline Mandarin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 11:38:03 AM »
Got my combo yesterday.

Build quality is superb. Really very eye-catching and sleek.

Will run them in properly this weekend. Took a few pics that I will add later.

It is going to be AVP vs Yamaha 3050. Some tough competition.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:40:09 AM by Mandarin »

Offline achim

• Commercial Member
    • 13hof
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 11:58:13 AM »
...I m very curious about your review in particular haha....

Well..I think its great that the competitor is a Yamaha...very good reputation and oposite to NuPrimes philosophy to keep things simple. Like many Yamaha, Onkyo and Denon etc etc.... they have so so ...soooooooo many functions which I believe are nonsense....but you guys will find out which approach is delivering the better sound

If additional functions do not lead into a better sound ..so whats the point than?

Offline juventino

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 03:11:27 PM »
So I have had the DAC-9 for a while now and value for money you can not go wrong.

Definitely a warm sounding dac that has plenty detail and presents a decent soundstage.
Instrument separation is also very good.

From the comparison we did on MY system I can say that I do not regret this purchase. Competes extremely well with Dacs we compared it to.

The one section that i am still undecided on is using it as a pre, there I will have to do more tests as I have not enjoyed the testing so far.
Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure