Local is Lekker BUT

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike M

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I like to support local business, but.

The following is an e-mail conversation I had with a local vinyl record supplier. The context is I went onto their web site and saw an LP that I liked advertised at R 290. I then clicked on the to order button which sent me the following e-mail.

"Good day

I am interrested in a copy of:
      Title:      All the roadrunning
      Artist:    Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris

I have read and understand the terms and conditions.  I understand that a deposit of at least R100.00 of the total amount is payable before an order will be accepted.

I confirm that I have read and understood the Purchasing Policy and Disclaimer.

Best regards"

The disclaimer says, inter alia, that purchase price is subject to exchange rate fluctuations.

I press send and get this reply:

can do, R100 deposit, bank details on website, plse bear in mind price fluctuates with dollar, we do our best(and the best that is posssible),

Thx

to which I reply as follows:

Hi

On what exchange rate is the current list price of R 290 based?

Which I think is a reasonable question given that the price I pay will be subject to fluctuation. The response is as follows:

Cant give you exact price, if thats problem rather leave, at $35 plus shipping and vat it will be approx R370

been in print 2 years,

My response is as follows:

Hi

I have already paid the deposit of R 100.

I accept the revised price on this order, but do you not think that advertising a product at R 290 when you actually expect it to come to R 370 (a 30% increase) is misleading?

Regards

and the response is:

No I don't, as this website is not updated for pricing every day, or even every year! We don't have the man power or resources, if we did I would add R100 on each LP to cover it!

Once again, I do my best, if that doesn't meet with your requirements you are more than welcome to buy elsewhere,

Well what can I say. Is this just me or does this suck.

Regards
M

BTW, I have removed names to protect identities