HDTV advice please...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1219

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

We've just moved into a new house (from a townhouse). The upscale means that the old TV is too small for the new lounge and as such has been relegated to the kitchen. The big problem is the large size of the lounge; 8m x 6m. The viewing distances vary between 7.5m and 4.5m. Have a look at the attachment; it's a very quick knock-up of the lounge and how we would like to position furniture, it's approximately to scale (I don't have accurate measurements with me at the moment).

I would ideally like to go the projector route. The windows behind the couches don't let in too much light; there's a large af-dakkie for a caravan attached to the wall above the windows. However I'm nervous that there's too much light in the room for a projector to work effectively. I think that a decent sized TV with a projector as an addition at a later stage would be ideal.

I'm looking at a 50" screen at this stage (that's what's in the model). The two seater couch will be the main viewing location. I'm planning on mounting the screen against the wall with a bracket so that it can rotated to the right so that the whole room can see the screen.

Budget is about R20k, but I would like to finish the project under that figure.

I don't have ANY equipment at the moment. I was looking at getting the tv and (hopefully) a gaming console (PS3 or Wii) to start with. An amp and sound would be the next step.

We don't have dstv, mainly watch e-tv (although this will probably be done in the kitchen). The primary role would be movies. The aim is to go BD or HD-DVD but at this stage it's mainly DVD. As noted above I am also getting a gaming console, so the TV would be used for this as well.

I've done quite a bit of research up till now, and have found the following:
Recommendations for size determined by viewing distance vary but are generally -
1. Size (diagonally) x 2 to 3 - gives 2.5m to 3.81m for a 50" (or other way around a tv with a size of 2.5m - 100"! for 5 to 7.5m)
2. Width X 1.5 to 3 - gives 1.9m to 3.81m for a 50" (or again 2.5m - 100" TV from 7.5m)
3. THX suggests a viewing distance of 1.5m to 2.3m for a 50" TV (but this is to recreate the immersive cinematic experience)

My conclusion - 50" for now, 2.5m projected screen at a later stage! Willi I know you have a 40" and say it's plenty big enough from 4 - 5m, but I would need convincing of this.

The available units that I've found at this stage are:
  • LG 50PG30 R13000
  • LG 50PQ10R R12999
  • LG 50PQ30 R11999
  • LG 50PQ60 R13999
  • LG 50PQ70 R15299
  • LG 50PS60FR R18399
  • LG 50PS60FR R17000
  • Panasonic TH-50h11-MS R18990
  • Panasonic THP-50C10M R17999
  • Samsung PS50B430 R13999
  • Samsung PS50B550 R16999

I'm now looking into the features of the different units and going to make my final decision then.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these units?
Any suggestions?
I've been advised to stay away from Samsung because they have lots of returns on their products?!
I'm also a bit concerned, all these units are plasmas, what about gaming on a plasma?

Thanks!!

Sheldon

Attachments

• Lounge.jpg
    Lounge.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 23