Your thoughts?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipwelder

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a large room 8m x 10m that needs sound. LARGE spekers are not an option, but fairly large boxes in the corner and smaller boxes against the wall are... Not my solution but somebody elses

I think a decent solution will be to build a 6" +1" (passive) satellite speaker (Most likely SEAS CA18RLY and 27 TDFC) with stereo woofers probably 10". for music 85% of the time.

The woofers will be actively crossed-over but with whatever slope seems decent. at around 80 - 120 Hz, preferrring to stay low. The satellite will most likely be a sealed box, tuned to have an acoustic roll-off at 100Hz -ish, to minimise excursion and to avoid X-O, the satellites will be driven off stereo amp with a pre-amp out going to the powered X-O'ed woofers. The woofers will be almost the same distance from the listener as the sats.

Questions:
1. What woofers? AludioSA sells 8.5" only and I don't think that'll do. Below R800/woofer would be nice, but one might compromise. Boxes can't be huge 60 L or less should be OK. Also I can't find much info on SDA's site. More efficient (read PRO) drivers would be good, cause if possible I like to keep X-O slopes small ;) and lower down the scale... but there won't be EQ...

2. Will the Sealed Box sufficiently protect the mid from damage?

3. will such a tight alignment not sound too boxy?

4. Will the possibly 12dB slope be OK for crossing to the woof?

5. Other ideas?

Latest posts