Author Topic: A dedicated section on which to list stolen gear  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Spurge

A dedicated section on which to list stolen gear
« on: January 16, 2016, 09:55:42 AM »
I recall that with Jessejon's recent burglary Jozua and one other member was going to set up something. I have not seen any such thread heading. I think it can be a great help and even therapy in the event of a loss. Cash Converters and the police etc can be directed there and it could even assist with claims. Any progress?

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+132)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
Re: A dedicated section on which to list stolen gear
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 11:49:34 AM »
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Online Mervin

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 11:53:42 AM »
Behind the cupboard door... Narnia

Offline Kane

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 01:21:40 PM »
I have implemented something similar on a forum I admin. Some things to consider that I learnt during the implementation of the system.

Considerations:
On my forum the member classifieds section is unviewable by non members (among other restrictions). Like this forum, my members place an enormous amount of trust in each other, this courtesy does not extend to the public at large, thus they do not wish to have their contact details (or forum profiles) viewed by all and sundry.  Although my forum differs completely in interest, the demographic is very similar as are the habits, such as obsessively scouring the Gumtrees, Junkmails OLXs etc of the web for bargains; they also look out for one another so an easily accessible list of stolen gear is a boon.

Implementation:
After considering custom databases and the like I settled on using my forums Google profile and went with a G-form which automatically links to a response G-sheet. It's not a perfect system but it does have the advantage of being accessible on just about any device, a fairly decent viewing permission set and the ability to embed wheresoever you wish.

Both the form and the database are embedded in a stickied thread on the forum classifieds section wherein the victim can post further details in addition the form info.

Our form is simple enough: https://goo.gl/gcAKRx For reasons alluded to above I cannot share the response form, suffice it to say that it looks like any other spreadsheet.
“Sirs, I have tested your gramophone machine. It adds a new terror to life and makes death a long-felt want.”
Herbert Beerbohm Tree