Author Topic: Air Loudpeakers  (Read 64213 times)

Offline BJ

Re: Air Loudpeakers
« Reply #390 on: July 17, 2019, 11:01:30 AM »
RESPECT...👌👌

Well done Stefan
Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Music lover and involved in industry
    • Airmusic
« Reply #391 on: October 29, 2019, 12:10:18 AM »
I can't deny it, I have lost my heart in Cape Town many moons ago. Stepping out of the plane this afternoon, feeling the fresh breeze and seeing the familiar landmarks again made me feel alive again and rekindled my passion for this amazing city of ours.  :dance: :dance: :dance:

The silence over here, about the Vivace, is partly because of a decision to spend less time on the forum, partly because my travel and work schedule was the busiest since I started my career, partly because of personal reasons, and then also partly because of the excitement about the ProAc launch and fest. Maybe to be honest I also had to step away from the intense process around the listening and auditioning the Vivaces and the fact that we were at a crossroad as far as the design goes and I had to clear my mind on some challenges.

Although no one directly asked me directly whether the project is still alive(well maybe some reminded me that they are waiting for completion ;)) I would not be surprised if there are some who probably think that with the advent of the ProAc range, the passion for this project would dwindle and eventually make it fizzle out. In all honesty, I did ask myself, how would the Vivaces stack up against the ProAcs.

Well, the answer to all of this is straight forward. The Vivace is still alive and kicking and I am glad to report that I will meet with the production team and some suppliers on Wednesday here in Cape Town to discuss the next steps. The Vicace is a very unique product with a great performance potential and not only in my view in a different category than the offerings of ProAc or Rosso Fiorentino for that matter. A silent forum member approach me in a discreet way during the ProAc fest and said the ProAcs are very good and wonderful speakers but the Vivace's are in a different league, especially with the right amps driving them(SETs etc), but so should it be if the engineering and input costs of the design are taken into account. I agree.

With time I will do some comparative listening and comment but I am happy to move with as much passion forward with this design as what has propelled me to bring it to this preproduction stage.

I will update about decisions on Wednesday. I had some time to refine my thinking. So stay tuned.

Regards
Stefan

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #392 on: October 29, 2019, 12:23:56 PM »
Stefan, forgive me if my assumptions are incorrect, but you have a great eye for quality, and a passion to create something beautiful out of nothing, judging how you have been tackling this project, I can't imagine you stopping now, your passion to create beautiful engineering is too great!

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Music lover and involved in industry
    • Airmusic
« Reply #393 on: November 13, 2019, 04:32:19 PM »
Thanks for the implied vote of confidence Nicholas. There is no way that I will won't complete the project.

I am actually now more than ever convinced that the potential of the speakers and approach are too great not to see it through. I had some very good feedback from listeners and my own impressions are still very much upbeat.

To tell the truth we are going to reconfigure some of the moulds with a second-generation perspective. After the construction of the 1st prototypes and listening to them over the last few months and then the delay with the wood gave us some mind space to rethink of the construction of the carbon carcass. So no changes in the design, acoustically that is, but we can simplify the process and improve the quality of fit and finish.

Keep in mind, that with the initial idea no section of the carbon carcass would have been visible, everything would have been cladded with wood. Now with the slates finish, some parts of the carbon carcass will be visible.

So we are going to sink some more R&D investment in machining an aluminium mould that we can polish and get a world-class carbon finish when we mould the carcasses. The initial mould was glass fibre to save costs and based on the assumption that a mirror-like finish was not required. It could withstand the autoclave pressure and heat but will never deliver the level of accuracy and finish, that an aluminium mould would. With a mould machined from a billet of aluminium, it changes everything.

This gave us the opportunity to iron out some smaller issues and gave us the opportunity to rethink the assembly process.

I will give a bit more detail about some of the improvements on a later stage when I have a bit more time. We are busy with the CAD drawings at the moment and hope to at least get the mould machined still in 2019.

All of this on the back of our conviction the speaker after the overwhelmingly positive feedback could be world-class and is pretty unique in looks and sound.

cheers
S

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 04:37:32 PM by Air »

Offline iondb

« Reply #394 on: November 20, 2019, 10:57:14 AM »
Hi Stefan, thank you for opening your house to us as well to come and listen to your handy work, it was an awesome experience!! It took a while to get used to what is now missing in my own setup  ;D

Offline johanhp

« Reply #395 on: November 27, 2019, 10:29:28 PM »
Seldom one is confronted with a tangible example of passion and the will to manifest it. When you step into the tasteful apartment you immediately sense that it is not business as usual. The exacting standards, experience and curious exploration of what is possible, makes these speakers something special. The  potential makes itself known from the first notes you hear emanating from the custom drivers, ensconced in their carbon fibre cabinets.
The host makes you feel welcome and at ease, and you realize that a love and appreciation for music fuels this passion, not a sterile longing for better specifications.
Stefan, thank you for the wonderful morning spent listening to your creations. Given the care and methodical approach you have, I am sure they will exceed every expectation.