Poll

Please indicate what kind of loudspeakers do you use in your main listening environment (RRP ZAR)

Small Bookshelf-below R20K
14 (10.1%)
Standmount Between R20-R50K
10 (7.2%)
Standmount between R50k-R100k
2 (1.4%)
Floorstander below R20k
32 (23%)
Floorstander between R20k-R50k
40 (28.8%)
Floorstander between R50K and R100K
12 (8.6%)
Floorstander over R100k
15 (10.8%)
Planars or electrostatics (can incl  conventional bass drivers)
10 (7.2%)
Horns (primarily based on typology)
4 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Author Topic: Air Loudpeakers  (Read 45484 times)

Offline iondb

Re: Air Loudpeakers
« Reply #300 on: December 04, 2018, 04:50:05 PM »
I don't really have any reference songs, so I will fall in with what will be chosen. I did hear a song or two of Yoshio Otomo's Moonray album which sounded good.

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Music lover and involved in industry
    • Airmusic
« Reply #301 on: December 06, 2018, 02:30:17 PM »
At last some progress pics from Cape Town.  :cool:

Offline adie

« Reply #302 on: December 06, 2018, 05:03:15 PM »
So much of teasing!!!
Will they be ready for Christmas Stefan?
Looking very good- and very substantial.
The kokie marks on top?

Offline Stanp

« Reply #303 on: December 08, 2018, 12:38:18 AM »
Oh wow! That looks good. :clap: I think they will look stunning when fully completed. Stefan, I would like to add some songs but need to think which would be best

Offline itscraig

« Reply #304 on: December 08, 2018, 09:31:53 AM »
lovely, good luck with the project

Online ALIGMUZ

« Reply #305 on: December 08, 2018, 09:36:46 AM »
Your bold and great effort deserves much success, much courage and best of luck

Offline Atjan

« Reply #306 on: December 08, 2018, 02:27:54 PM »
Mmmm, those speakers are going to look amazing. Can't wait to see them closer to finished. And I wish I could join a listening session!
It's only hifi people....

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #307 on: December 10, 2018, 09:25:17 AM »
@adie @Stanp @itscraig @ALIGMUZ and @Atjan, you guys rock. Thanks for the encouragement, compliments and good wishes. I still hope to hear them around Xmas but I am not betting on it. We are nearly there...

Adie, I am also teased as much as what you are. The speakers are being built and assembled in Cpt so I also see only pics.. The coki marks are on the top plate is just a mistake marking by the machinist. Remember the speakers are designed as mirror pair. Stan asked in a whatsapp what the rectangular recesses are? The bolts that pull the baffle into the top and bottom plate are accessed through that recessess. This top section will be covered with a 3mm aluminium cover to hide all the detail and round off the speaker.

ALUGMUZ, thanks for the comment about the boldness. I had a disappointing discussion with someone else who basically hinted that a wood/mdf design would be cheaper, easier and quicker. I was a bit taken back by the stance. I realised that it is not a straightforward design but hopefully a unique and worthwhile attempt to push the limits.  I have no question in my mind that speaker enclosures made out of more traditional material can also sound good, but there are many very good attempts out there, some of which I import, sell and like. So why imitate? This project is, however, an attempt to do something different and I believe that it will pay dividends in terms of the performance as well. I still am confident that even with the advanced methods the pricing will still represent value.

Atjan, I might have a plan...  ;)

Thanks again guys..

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #308 on: December 10, 2018, 11:12:41 AM »
I had a disappointing discussion with someone else who basically hinted that a wood/mdf design would be cheaper, easier and quicker. I was a bit taken back by the stance. I realised that it is not a straightforward design but hopefully a unique and worthwhile attempt to push the limits.  I have no question in my mind that speaker enclosures made out of more traditional material can also sound good, but there are many very good attempts out there, some of which I import, sell and like. So why imitate? This project is, however, an attempt to do something different and I believe that it will pay dividends in terms of the performance as well. I still am confident that even with the advanced methods the pricing will still represent value.

Now this is the part that to me is the only questionable aspect of your product. The methods and materials you use are typical of high end products (think Vivid). I am not aware of high end products being sold as "representing value". Like, if it costs R180k or R300k - I still can't afford it - and there is only a certain income class (only a few of them here) that could. If you sell your product too cheaply (say, R50k) you run the risk of not getting the recognition it deserves.

So, what's the plan, boss?

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #309 on: December 10, 2018, 11:35:29 AM »
Shover, indeed the question of pricing is crucial for the success of this project in the long run. Without being coy about the final pricing at all I would say that my view is as follows:

1)Compared to the benchmarks I have used I do believe that I can put out a unique product for the SA enthusiast. These benchmarks include Vivid's local pricing but also the other products' (including Vivid)international pricing.
2)obviously we recognised an international market is a prerequisite to making it sustainable, but one step at a time
3)we are working hard on scaling the tooling into products that are slightly less ambitious but still build with the same genetics
4)some early adopter promotional campaign or even crowdfunding once we have the 1st viable product out there could create momentum.

But yes, pricing is to going to be very important. Good question indeed.  I am fortunate that I have been importing speakers for almost 25 years so I understand the pricing strategies of manufactures. From an SA consumer's perspective think of the logistical costs that are saved, especially in metric volume is taken into account.

Offline Nirvana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #310 on: December 10, 2018, 02:19:37 PM »
Certainly reassuring to know that logistical costs are replaced by quality components and detail,so SQ vs cost should be premium!

We are all eyes and ears,waiting for another world class entry into the audio world,right here from own shores...  :notworthy:
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline Johnnie

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Klerksdorp Record and Audio Store.
« Reply #311 on: December 10, 2018, 03:49:34 PM »
This is awesome stuff! Congrats on the research and development thus far, it does look very impressive! Subscribed :popcorn:

Offline kenvanraas

« Reply #312 on: December 11, 2018, 11:30:33 PM »
This is truly stunning,all the best sir  :2thumbs: