Poll

Please indicate what kind of loudspeakers do you use in your main listening environment (RRP ZAR)

Small Bookshelf-below R20K
13 (9.8%)
Standmount Between R20-R50K
10 (7.6%)
Standmount between R50k-R100k
2 (1.5%)
Floorstander below R20k
31 (23.5%)
Floorstander between R20k-R50k
38 (28.8%)
Floorstander between R50K and R100K
12 (9.1%)
Floorstander over R100k
13 (9.8%)
Planars or electrostatics (can incl  conventional bass drivers)
10 (7.6%)
Horns (primarily based on typology)
3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Author Topic: Air Loudpeakers  (Read 36253 times)

Offline adie

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Air Loudpeakers
« Reply #255 on: January 26, 2018, 10:25:59 PM »
That's not too long a post Stefan. Very interesting. Thanks for the lesson.

Offline Nirvana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #256 on: January 27, 2018, 12:09:43 PM »
^ +100

Fascinating and informative journey!  :2thumbs:
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
  • Music lover and involved in industry
    • Airmusic
Air Loudpeakers
« Reply #257 on: January 28, 2018, 11:30:23 AM »
Hi guys, sitting on airport in DAR and waiting for my 8th flight in 2weeks. On my way to Nairobi and then on to Entebbe. So passing time...
Here are a few pics on a “mock up” of the carcass and wood to get a sense of perspective of what the Vivacé will look like

(Also 1st attempt to post pics from Taptalk)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #258 on: January 29, 2018, 03:55:27 AM »
Thanks for the explanation about the port location. I learn much just by reading this sort of thing.

The speaker is going to be a real stunner!
It's only hifi people....

Offline Stanp

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #259 on: January 29, 2018, 09:16:52 PM »
+1
I am looking forward to see the completed project  :)

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #260 on: March 19, 2018, 06:41:56 PM »
Disappointing but still in holding pattern with the last major challenge, namely to get the wood press 100% correct. As said earlier it is small steps that we need to do this and although it doesn't take ages to machine the mould on the CNC, it is the workflow in the factory that needs to be accommodated. So we re-machine, then wait for a slot on the press and then make a sample, scan it and then back into the cycle with new data to make a call how much we must adjust the mould. We don't want to do it in big steps because if we make a mistake and overdo it the mould will be useless and we will have to start over again.. really frustrating and calls for extreme patience.

Here are 2 pics of the scan at 88.2 and 89.5 degrees.. aiming at 90 degrees of course. Nearly, nearly there but it is nerve wrecking

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #261 on: March 19, 2018, 08:41:33 PM »
I previously posted comments and picture of the mid capsule but for those interested here a few better pics of the design. Difficult to really understand how intricate the part is with few if any parallel sides until one actually handles it. We made 3 samples, one of a light glass fibre and a new core that absorb most of the resin(yellow), a heavy glass fibre weave(brown) and a unidirectional carbon fibre(black). No doubt about the stiffness of the carbon version and the benefit in low mass, the heavy glass weave is interesting in the sense that is almost as stiff as the carbon but at a cost of higher mass and the yellow light glass with the absorbent core is in simple terms a total waste. Interesting as it does pave the way forward for the critical mid capsule.

Offline Nicholas

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #262 on: May 17, 2018, 07:22:36 AM »
Good morning Stefan,

Have you managed to get the wood pressing tool to your liking?

Eager to hear an update on this exciting project of yours

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #263 on: May 17, 2018, 04:22:13 PM »
Hi Nicholas,

Unfortunately, we had some more delays from the supplier of the wood panels. The production manager that was involved in the work resigned to start his own unrelated business, so the production schedule is even more stressed at the moment.

I was very concerned when I heard the news last week but fortunately, all CNC programming was done before he left at end of April and furthermore he is also house-friends with the owner of the business. There is, therefore, no serious risk that the ball could be dropped.

Things will, however, be even a bit slower. I told them the other parts are now gathering dust ;) and we have an agreement that it now is a priority. It might delay the development of the next model we had in mind though, the Voce.

The upside is that we have worked on a variation of the Vivace design, the high sensitivity model, Evocateur. We had many concepts previously on how best we can use the Vivace tooling to get to the 35% less volume that we require for the Evocateur in an economical way that passes our own aesthetic standards, and I think after many options, Alex nailed it a week or 2 ago. It is quite novel I believe. I will share as soon as I receive high res renders from Alex.

We have also been busy with another concept, this time making use of a design/mould that is used in the factory for producing a chair :D
This would be even a more affordable concept, still adhering to our design philosophy and quality standards both in terms of aesthetics and sonics. I really like this idea, sort of a retro or vintage concept. Once again as soon as I have high res renders I will give those interested a sneak preview.

What we have learned is that we should work from the outside in the design process. We should make the wood, use that as template or master for the carbon parts etc. With the Vivace, we approach it the other way around. Wood will always be a living material with its own unique character and it might be far better to use that character, it the way it settles as it comes out of the press and design with that as the baseline. Even the factory which we work with from now on, do their own designs this way. This way we could have avoided all the iterations that delayed us.

So yes.. we are still very much focused on getting the products out there..

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #264 on: May 18, 2018, 03:34:28 PM »
Damn...

Holding all thumbs and toes that it comes to fruition and make new owners very happy!!  :pray:  :cleansound:
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural