Poll

Please indicate what kind of loudspeakers do you use in your main listening environment (RRP ZAR)

Small Bookshelf-below R20K
11 (9%)
Standmount Between R20-R50K
9 (7.4%)
Standmount between R50k-R100k
2 (1.6%)
Floorstander below R20k
28 (23%)
Floorstander between R20k-R50k
35 (28.7%)
Floorstander between R50K and R100K
11 (9%)
Floorstander over R100k
13 (10.7%)
Planars or electrostatics (can incl  conventional bass drivers)
10 (8.2%)
Horns (primarily based on typology)
3 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 122

Author Topic: Air Loudpeakers  (Read 22075 times)

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Music lover and involved in industry
    • Airmusic
Re: Air Loudpeakers
« Reply #195 on: April 23, 2017, 01:54:00 PM »
So I promised some pics of the baffles. Here are a few:

The 2 baffles, skimmed and ready for bead blasting and anodising (The lines are only because of skimming process).

And some close up from the front.

Some closer pics

(Red dots were a small ridge that we could detect and subsequently adjust the design, CNC programming and that we skimmed off).

And some of the details at the back.

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #196 on: May 11, 2017, 04:16:45 PM »
 :notworthy: :notworthy:
Excellent work!
It's only hifi people....

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #197 on: May 11, 2017, 05:40:46 PM »
Thanks a million for the encouragement Atjan, much appreciated.

Here is a pic of the external port mouth. We are happy with the progress we made with the quality of layup and moulding. We still believe it can be better and are planning some more experiments but the standard is acceptable we believe. What do you think?

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #198 on: May 11, 2017, 08:35:40 PM »
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Atjan

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #199 on: May 15, 2017, 02:53:05 PM »
This is going to be an amazing speaker, judged by the work that's gone into it.  :2thumbs:

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #200 on: May 15, 2017, 07:00:33 PM »
^ Indeed indeed!

Playing the lotto every week-end and waiting to see and hear the final product,as well as the other tempting models to  :drool: over... :pray:

Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline Stanp

• AVForums Member
« Reply #201 on: May 23, 2017, 09:15:12 PM »
Very impressive work indeed. :clap: Looking forward to see the completed speaker :)

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #202 on: June 26, 2017, 12:42:00 PM »
A month can be such a short period of time. An update is probably due. No assembly yet and the boring parts of the update is that we are waiting for chemicals and a substrate from Europe to see if we can achieve the vertical layup of the grain on the wood panels. The port is ticked and hopefully, I can share a pic soon of the complete part.

The exciting part is however how our ideas evolve over time. The risk is of course that we never get to a point where we are happy and sign it off. So this is in my mind one of the final refinements of the design of the Vivace and has to do with the heart of the speaker, the midrange. Keep in mind that this is where we believe music lives and breaths, not in subterranean bass or glass cracking hi frequency extension but in the spectrum where 90% of the music resides, 150Hz to 5KHz. The following pics tell the story of where we started and where we are ending up.

This was the initial idea. The inspiration and principles should be clear.

However, we thought we would waste volume and to ensure at little as possible leakage we then decided to compromise by using a system like the following. We looked at using the birch ply as partitions to create the sub enclosure for the mid-driver. This is how we tested the prototype last year. The partitions would have been non-parallel (good) but still helped little to control the back wave through diffraction. 

We did research, look at best practices and came up with what we call a "nautilus mid enclosure". The benefits are many. Not only a type of inverse horn, also great dispersion and diffraction of the back waves but also a complete decoupling of the mid enclosure to the bass section. Furthermore, we can increase damping by tailoring the carbon fibre layup -instead of the very light and stiff Nomex honeycomb we use in the main carcass we can sacrifice some weight but increase the inherent damping of the part by using a foam core between carbon cloths. Maybe even cork.  The illustration below is how the Nautilus mid enclosure will look like.

We need to get the final drawings out to achieve our targeted volume of 9 litres and then machine the mould. Not a too difficult part, so we don't foresee any problems.

I am leaving for a business trip and will be back late in July. Hopefully, by then all parts would be ready and we can schedule the assembly in early Aug. I hope to get time to touch base with some of our European suppliers in the time I am away but at least get a chance to listen to some of the benchmark products from companies that we respect and keep a close eye on how they push the limits, each in their an own way.

I will share if there are any interesting things either happening back home or on my trip.
cheers

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #203 on: June 26, 2017, 04:12:11 PM »
Very impressive and thoughtful work so far!

Cheers Stefan,enjoy your trip,we're looking forward to 'Showtime!'  :wallbreak:

Offline Atjan

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #204 on: June 27, 2017, 04:03:09 PM »
I find following this project very interesting. I'm just hoping we get to see a finished product this year!

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #205 on: June 27, 2017, 11:18:19 PM »
Hi Atjan,
Glad it is interesting and the sceptical or tongue in cheek comment is taken in good spirit. :)

We are fortunate to have a sponsor that buys into the vision and understand the aspirations behind the project. ;)

The next pic is of the mould of the port, excluding the section that forms the external flare of the port. So the step by step we are ticking of the building blocks. The way we have approached it accommodates the possibility to do some final voicing of the port for the Vivace and ability to scale the tooling to be used in other designs like the Evocateur a high sensitivity design that we are working on in the background.

Offline Atjan

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #206 on: June 28, 2017, 02:56:28 AM »
Tongue in cheek comment aside, I really appreciate how you've let us into the backroom to see how a high quality commercial speaker is conceived and built.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #207 on: June 28, 2017, 09:56:32 AM »
^ Yep,one has always wondered "How do they do that?" to get speakers sound so different from brand-brand,and here we get a 'free factory tour' of sorts,with some inside secrets and insight revealed!
Very unique and great to follow,quite sure many ears are burning for the end product,none more so than those of the designer himself!  :coffee:

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #208 on: June 29, 2017, 07:20:03 AM »
Thanks for the continued interest  :thumbs:erest.

It seems that as soon as I turn my back things starts to happen.  :cool:

Here is the internal section of the port based on the mould I shared earlier in the week. Fresh out of the autoclave with the protective wrapping still on. From here it is cleaned, trimmed and maybe sprayed just to finish it off nicely.

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #209 on: August 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM »
I am back in SA for a week or 2 already, but had a hectic schedule since I arrived back home and not only talking making up some lost time with my wife.  :)

So the news is that we are happy with port, after the 3rd iteration of making the part. We can now mould a complete part if we wish to but will do it initially in subsections to allow for final voicing. Only trimming and final machining needs to be done and then we are ready to go with this part.

The following pics are of the external flare or visible part of the port, and I think it looks great? Maybe we will not use the gloss finish for final version as the blend with the satin wood panels needs to be factored in, it also might be a satin or natural finish. 

I will post some more news/thoughts hopefully soon.