Author Topic: Air Loudpeakers  (Read 64310 times)

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
Re: Air Loudpeakers
« Reply #330 on: February 13, 2019, 10:28:20 PM »

The bass and mid drivers are from Audiotechnology and the tweeter is from Scanspeak. Tweeter might change in final design.

I understand how rejected parts can just sit there on a shelf taking up space. Should it come to that, I'd be more than willing to do disposition of those ScanSpeak tweeters for you. ;)

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Atjan

« Reply #331 on: February 14, 2019, 03:52:36 AM »
Those are taking shape nicely now!!
It's only hifi people....

Offline maharajs

« Reply #332 on: February 26, 2019, 02:37:54 PM »
Unique shape - looks good

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Music lover and involved in industry
    • Airmusic
« Reply #333 on: February 27, 2019, 06:07:18 PM »
Unique shape - looks good
Thanks for the compliment :dop:

The game is shifting to Jhb. If you guys see a truck on the N1 tonight or tomorrow with a precious cargo sticker displayed it could be the prototypes. (Wanted pics as proof, but all Alex said was "dammit" it was a rush to get them off and he forgot the pics)Alex flies up to Jhb on Saturday morning  and we hope to have the 1st test of test done by Monday.

So the weekend will be the acid test in terms of the potential success of the design acoustically. There could be small snags, I am ready for that

Tomorrow I am off to the PE for the day to meet with the wood team, so lots happening in the next few days..

Watch this space...  :pray:
Wa

Offline maharajs

« Reply #334 on: February 27, 2019, 08:54:12 PM »
Best of luck with your adventure :thumbs:

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #335 on: March 01, 2019, 03:04:59 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BJ

« Reply #336 on: March 01, 2019, 04:50:15 PM »

Good looking coffee table Stefan, I like the gloss finish on top :giggle:
Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline SeanS

« Reply #337 on: March 03, 2019, 12:51:13 PM »
Boxes open?  pics.. :pray:

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #338 on: March 04, 2019, 02:35:48 PM »

Alex jumped out of the box

Offline SeanS

« Reply #339 on: March 04, 2019, 09:12:59 PM »
that gives a nice perspective on size .. :thumbs:

Offline Igniter

« Reply #340 on: March 07, 2019, 02:12:38 PM »
nice work gents masterpieces in the making...

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #341 on: March 10, 2019, 11:45:35 AM »
Thanks, Ignite and SeanS for your interest and encouragement.

I apologise for the slow response but the last week or 2 have been a whirlwind and hectic time for me. I flew down on the Thursday to PE to meet with the partner that is working on the wood cheeks, then the crate arrived on Friday and whilst I was running around town to source bits and pieces required. Friday afternoon I unpacked the crate and started with some prep work and Saturday morning Alex arrived and we worked throughout the weekend until Monday morning and Monday afternoon I flew abroad to deliver a major project that involved an odd 400 people and arrived back exhausted this weekend. I really wanted to provide good feedback on progress and wanted to digest what was achieved and what not. Unfortunately, I took very little pictures, maybe a sign of how engrossed Alex and I were in the project last weekend.

So, then where are we? We assembled one speaker and I was able to listen to and run a quick impedance, MLS, Sinusoidal, and FRT analysis with Clio. Basically just to check the vital signs. The quick checks were encouraging and especially the midsection's results were positive. The bass section as can be expected was less conclusive as the port was not properly installed. Sound wise, I listened in mono I was very very happy with midrange performance, in line with what I found a year or 2 ago. Clarity with warmth, speed and openness with no nasties as far as I could hear on jazz and vocal works. I played some jazz trio music and vocal songs that I know well.

So what are the snags, as in any project snags are the details that could break the camel's back? We are not 100% satisfied with the trimming of the carcass, a bit uneven and tolerances just acceptable. Furthermore, we need to test a number of gaskets(between the carcass and baffle, the top and bottom plates and the carcass and between the mid capsule and the baffle. We will try different material(cork, felt and rubber) and thicknesses over the next few weeks to find the optimum solutions for each requirement. It does take time to get these gaskets machined and to install each one of them and see how they work, probably each time with quick Clio sweeps to check for resonances in the impedance curves and distortion. We also need to relook how we fit the port as I would like to use the port access as a way to access the crossover board as well.

Technically I am happy with the carbon structure of both the carcass and midsection. The aluminium machining is also great, and so it the finishing thereof. What really is fascinating is to see how easy and effective the rigid but light material can be damped with felt and the assemble. Each step, with the traditional knock on the enclosure test, the improvements are astonishing. The final layer of cork and wood would make the cabinet very silent and this correlates with an open and expressive sound I heard. Of course, the aluminium baffle that provides a solid platform for the drivers to fire from should also not be overlooked.  Listening to a similar driver set up in an MDF cabinet I have no doubt about the benefits of putting more effort into the design with stiffer materials.

In the next week, I will try and patch together both speakers, whilst I wait for the gaskets to be made, and hopefully, I would be able to play the pair in stereo by the end of the week or next weekend.

So far there is no reason to believe we made some wrong choices along the way. We do want to simplify the design a bit but the
Vivace will probably stay as it is envisaged. We might even up the stakes with even a better carbon mould for the carcass that will give us the ability to with easy scale the design down and even up as I have had exciting news from Denmark as far as drivers are concerned.

:coffee:

Offline Igniter

« Reply #342 on: March 10, 2019, 07:55:05 PM »
looking forward to reading how you progress in the coming weeks - always amazed to see what passion brings out in people... take my hat off to you

Offline maharajs

« Reply #343 on: March 11, 2019, 10:43:40 AM »
looking good

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #344 on: March 12, 2019, 10:01:44 AM »
Ok, i have a bit of spare time to work on the speakers.
Look at what I find! This makes me so happy. What more can you ask for. It is the midrange unit in baffle without any crossover. Really really what I designed for at crossed my fingers for, around how the mid will perform. Almost a straight line from 200Hz to5kHz. (No cheating on scale either. Will save some final measurements and share with a bit more detail)