Poll

Please indicate what kind of loudspeakers do you use in your main listening environment (RRP ZAR)

Small Bookshelf-below R20K
11 (9.2%)
Standmount Between R20-R50K
9 (7.6%)
Standmount between R50k-R100k
2 (1.7%)
Floorstander below R20k
28 (23.5%)
Floorstander between R20k-R50k
34 (28.6%)
Floorstander between R50K and R100K
11 (9.2%)
Floorstander over R100k
12 (10.1%)
Planars or electrostatics (can incl  conventional bass drivers)
9 (7.6%)
Horns (primarily based on typology)
3 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Author Topic: Air Loudpeakers  (Read 20460 times)

Offline WD

• Formerly Waterhond
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Air Loudpeakers - Friendly request to participate in poll
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2016, 06:13:51 PM »
'Fraud with methodological pitfalls' doesn't make sense.

skollie

He means "fraught with pitfalls"..
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 06:17:46 PM by WD »

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Music lover and involved in industry
    • Airmusic
Re: Air Loudpeakers
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2016, 06:19:47 PM »
Thanks..

Offline skollie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth
    • Blue Angel
Re: Air Loudpeakers - Friendly request to participate in poll
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2016, 06:25:13 PM »
He means "fraught with pitfalls"..

Indeed I did but thought it impolite to write it.

Fraud always has pitfalls. Anyway back to the subject.

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2016, 06:28:46 PM »
A polite correction is perhaps more polite than an indirect poke at a mistake...

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
Re: Air Loudpeakers _ interesting meeting
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2016, 02:29:31 PM »
I thought it time to arrange an interesting meeting between 2 strangers. An Ongaku replica and Air Forte's. I always wanted to see and hear if there is chemistry between these two who are strangers but have some things in common.

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2016, 02:30:17 PM »
A bit of an update on progress with the Air project.  This is 3d printed scale model of the design I am working on. The details are not final yet, such as driver position on the baffle etc, but we have used the model to discuss some of the finer detail with the various suppliers that will be working on different parts of the unit. It will have a composite structure carcass, an exterior trim layer that will form constraint layer structure made out of wood (bend MDF or maybe plywood) and the drivers will be mounted on an aluminum. The top models will be 3-way designs, one with a single bass driver and the other model with 2 bass drivers. Stand mounted versions will follow, one with a 18cm and one with a 20cm midbass driver. Tweeters will vary in the range depending on the design but will be from the Scanspeak and Morel range. I am now waiting for 1st prototype of the final structure so that I can start the final leg of the design process, but I have measured and developed crossovers based on 3d printed prototype baffles of the final design. The basic stats are roughly as follows for the 3 way systems:

- +/- 91/89 db's at a nominal impedance of 6 ohms, and minimums of 4 and 5.5 ohms respectively for the twin and single bass systems.
-  mid 30hz bass extension and maybe just under 30hz in a room.
- Both 3 ways systems will be a gentle load for any amp and the single bass unit will be optimised for medium powered valve amps even though it will be less efficient.

There is lots of detail that we are working on, such as waveguides for the tweeters, port design and maybe, ways to tailor bass to own room. We have gone to great lengths with small details such as making sure that no nut or bolt will be visible, that internal cabling will go through conduits and the midrange unit back waves will be managed by a tapered and folded horn inside the cabinet.

If all goes well, I Hope to have at least the 1st production models by end of May. :) and once happy with it, we will also finalise a design of a statement 2 way which we have already tested with international partners and although the verdict was that it will be a love or hate take on the design we were encouraged to push ahead with it. Someone said in a response to one of my postings that the project seems ambitious, and I would agree, although I am not sure if it was meant in a positive and encouraging way or as a sceptical comment. Finally, I can't promise a cheap product, but I am trying to do something worthwhile. If all the plans come together prices will start at around R30K and stretch to about R150K and for the local buyer, there will be solid discounts in line with those that the customers who have bought stuff from me over the years would have experienced.

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2016, 04:12:42 PM »
Great,all eyes and ears on this space!  :dop:
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2016, 10:20:40 AM »
Thanks Nirvana :)
This is what the inside of the mid cavity might look like. Not final design yet, but i like beautiful things. A lesson i learned from working with an architect on building a house was that even the back side of a structure must be pleasing to the eye. So, with that as departure point i try to be pleased with how the inside of a speaker look like, even thoigh the owner might never sees it

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2016, 05:37:00 PM »
This sketch shows how the Air Vivace would be build, a combination of carbon fibre, aluminium and veneered mdf. The tooling for the sandwich construction is nearly completed and the 1st mould would be done still in this month if all goes well.

Offline carl

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2016, 08:01:09 PM »
Myself wife and I heard the prototypes a few weeks ago.
The were awesome, thanks for a great evening!

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2016, 09:06:58 PM »
Hi Carl,which model specifically were you privy to,and what were the accompanying components?

No chance of paparazzi pics?  :nono:  ;)

Offline carl

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2016, 08:18:12 AM »
It was an out and out prototype to sort out the crossover and ugly as sin.
But, my goodness, when you closed your eyes it was heavenly...

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2016, 09:34:16 AM »
Carl, It was a pleasure to have you and your wife over for the impromptu listening session.  :) 

I would be too embarrassed to allow any pics :-[ and I guess Carl's remark "ugly as sin" might be even flattering for what is at best a rapid prototype setup. It makes a mockery of all the audiophile neurosis about floating speaker cables in air etc LOL.

However, the results of the design are very encouraging. The model is the Vivace of which I have posted sketches and pic of the 3d printed model.  It is a 3-way design, with the star of the show being a 5-inch midrange unit augmented with an 8-inch bass driver and scan ring radiator tweeter, the dome version. Crossovers are a combination of 1st order and 3rd order networks, with attention to not only linear frequency but also impedance, electrical phase and especially acoustic phase integration between drivers. The system has a 89.5 sensitivity and a nominal 6 ohm impedance. It is a nearly full range, the bass is extended to just about 30hz and lower with room gain.

Carl listened to the prototype on the Ongaky replica (211 SET)and I have also listened to it on the Pathos TT and a few medium powered SS. The dac is a NOS diy unit. Cables are Mundorf silver and Cardas Golden Cross.

A few other people listened to the design in its current state, and maybe I must leave it up to them to comment, but i am very happy with the results. My expectations have been surpassed. One cynical friend just said i must now just pray that when all is done and soldered with all the right silver solder and all screws and bolts are tight that i don't mess up something that sounds so good.  ;)

Offline nvw

• AVForums Member
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2016, 09:43:44 AM »
I heard the prototypes too. They were truly special with the Ongaku.

I confess to stating that I hope that the magic remains once the final product is assembled. If not, the protypes are mine!

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2016, 10:51:51 AM »
The plot thickens...  :thinking: :thinking:

Curiously awaiting the next chapter...  :coffee:

Mite just be  :rubhands:...

If so,another product to put us on the map!!  :2thumbs:
Careful now with the screws and glue,old chap!  :whip: