Poll

Please indicate what kind of loudspeakers do you use in your main listening environment (RRP ZAR)

Small Bookshelf-below R20K
11 (9.3%)
Standmount Between R20-R50K
9 (7.6%)
Standmount between R50k-R100k
2 (1.7%)
Floorstander below R20k
28 (23.7%)
Floorstander between R20k-R50k
33 (28%)
Floorstander between R50K and R100K
11 (9.3%)
Floorstander over R100k
12 (10.2%)
Planars or electrostatics (can incl  conventional bass drivers)
9 (7.6%)
Horns (primarily based on typology)
3 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Author Topic: Air Loudpeakers  (Read 20334 times)

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Air Loudpeakers
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 12:53:05 PM »
If your boundary conditions don't match up to the model, it doesn't matter what tool you use, especially if it assumes a pistonic source. I use AkAbak for my circuit equivalence modeling and the remainder is hard work and multiple prototypes or modifications followed by measurement and listening trials. If your tool is axi-symmetric, there are many features that you miss out on including circular and higher order modes. I also use impedance tubes to determine characteristics of drivers to use in modeling. There is a lot that comes into play when you move beyond just wave guides and the rear chamber behind the diaphragm can matter a lot.

Any model, doesn't matter what its underlying workings, won't tell you what something sounds like. It's handy for characterizing some issues and in accelerating design choices but ultimately it's just a tool and one requires honesty and the willingness to chuck non-working prototypes. On domes I typically start off with 4 different angle conicals and experiment with different throats before moving over to other shapes. Some domes then don't like the sharp transition, others love it. In a model they'd all look the same but in practice you need to do the legwork for that tweeter.

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Music lover and involved in industry
    • Airmusic
Re: Air Loudpeakers - Friendly request to participate in poll
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 03:24:06 PM »
I am interested to see how the market profile of the Forumites looks with regards to the types of loudspeakers we use. Call it a bit of market research. Such a poll is fraud with methodological pitfalls, but none the let's see what pops up. All is welcome to vote and, of course, have access to the results.

I have an existing broad plan for the development of the Air loudspeaker range, but the results might just notch certain models to the front(or back) of the development queue.

Thanks in advance and  depending on the  interest I will ask more questions later to get better insight into  the needs of the market look.

Offline adie

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 12:29:11 AM »
Checked planar or electrostatics, though Eminent Technology speakers are not quite either.

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 11:40:54 AM »
^^ Ditto!!   :2thumbs:

Hey Stefan,ek en jy het 'n paar jaar terug gesels oor 'n paar ProAc Response 2 (of 2.5?),wat jy 2deh beskikbaar gehad het,ek wou my Rogers Studio7 vervang. Ek het ok na v jou 1ste Airmusic spkrs gan luistr by Serge,as jy so-iets onthou? Intusn het ek ET LFT8b's gekry,en is baie happy damee!!

Bly jou spkr projek het so mooi ge - progress,jy is duidelik passievol,en doen deeglike navorsing!
Als vd beste,jou nuwe reeks/beoogde reeks lyk en klink sekerlik uitstekend!
Groete,
Werner (Kaapstad)
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 01:31:30 PM »
Hi Werner

Ek onthou ons interaksie. :) It has been a while, though.

The Air2's you listened to was my own take on a 18cm midbass unit in a floorstander design. Audiotechnology developed the driver for me according to my requirements. It sacrificed efficiency for more bass and was dedicated to 25 liters volume, tuned at 40hz. There should be a few floating around, especially in CPT. I thought it was quite a successful design and the best I heard it sounding was with the entry level Ayre integrated amp. 

I do believe in research and science from all perspectives. The market-view, the drivers, crossover design as well as cabinet design. I should get the new prototype waveguides tomorrow, Audiotechnology is doings some tests with a new bass unit and it seems as if we might get a student at USB engineering dept to do some research on the approach we intend to follow with the cabinet design. All these inputs are however just that.. inputs and finding the best compromise in terms of many theoretical ideals are actually what determines the final product.  Finally, I would like the user to have an emotional connection with the speaker in his own living environment as well. So the look at feel of the end product is as important for me as the sound.

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 02:09:23 PM »
^^ Yes,makes so much more sense when the sound of a product resonates with one,that the aesthetics do the same!
Imo appreciating music in whatever form or genre is essentially emotive,and I think more and more designers have realised that the impact of a product's looks can greatly influence the way it sounds!  :giggle:
But certainly,when great sound is matched by good looks,it makes for a component that actually becomes part of you,thus far more difficult to sell off...

Cheers,and here's watching u,kid!  :mates:
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 08:13:47 PM »
 In a corporate video that I often used in the distant past, Steve Jobs said you must thank your competition because they make you become better, referring to IBM if i recall correctly.  I think it was part of the Tom Peter's videos, in Search of excellence or something like that. It was at the launch of the 1st Mac and I found the video always so inspiring. This morning I came across this  video of Steinway $ Sons of Hamburg and watching it just stirred me again. They are not the competition of what I try to achieve, nor do I think I am close to that level of excellence, but have a look and see what level of passion, precision and patience sits behind every Baby or Concert Grand.  Just amazing and inspiring.

https://www.facebook.com/Airmusic-640209162710934/?ref=hl

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:22:37 PM by Air »

Offline chipwelder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 02:44:15 PM »
They do make speakers now... I do not know if it is outsourced...
OK! I've had it! I don't give anymore Kharma. Kharma should work in mysterious ways...

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2016, 03:50:27 PM »
Interesting for them to do loudspeakers as well, guess they rely on their cabinet building expertise and brand reputation with such attempts. Would not mind to have such a legacy behind some of my products.  :thinking: and of course access to all the craftsmanship.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2016, 03:54:05 PM »
Think it's got Lyngdorf involvement.   
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Air Loudpeakers
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2016, 03:54:27 PM »
I quite liked the set of Bosendorfer speakers I heard.  Very well controlled Demo though and music perhaps perfectly selected.   
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline skollie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth
    • Blue Angel
Re: Air Loudpeakers - Friendly request to participate in poll
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2016, 03:55:15 PM »
I am interested to see how the market profile of the Forumites looks with regards to the types of loudspeakers we use. Call it a bit of market research. Such a poll is fraud with methodological pitfalls, but none the let's see what pops up. All is welcome to vote and, of course, have access to the results.

I have an existing broad plan for the development of the Air loudspeaker range, but the results might just notch certain models to the front(or back) of the development queue.

Thanks in advance and  depending on the  interest I will ask more questions later to get better insight into  the needs of the market look.

'Fraud with methodological pitfalls' doesn't make sense.

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
Re: Air Loudpeakers - waveguide experiments
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2016, 03:55:42 PM »
Here is a snapshot of a comparison between a standard tweeter's response and loaded with a waveguide. One of the 1st prototypes I designed and tried.  :-\ 
Any comments, guesses and ideas?

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2016, 03:57:08 PM »
I'll respond offline.

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2016, 04:00:17 PM »
Skollie, all wanted to prevent is a long debate on the design of such a poll. Social research, in any form or with any methodology,  has many pitfalls and are never an exact science.
Stefan