Poll

Please indicate what kind of loudspeakers do you use in your main listening environment (RRP ZAR)

Small Bookshelf-below R20K
7 (6.5%)
Standmount Between R20-R50K
9 (8.3%)
Standmount between R50k-R100k
2 (1.9%)
Floorstander below R20k
26 (24.1%)
Floorstander between R20k-R50k
32 (29.6%)
Floorstander between R50K and R100K
10 (9.3%)
Floorstander over R100k
11 (10.2%)
Planars or electrostatics (can incl  conventional bass drivers)
8 (7.4%)
Horns (primarily based on typology)
3 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Author Topic: Air Loudpeakers  (Read 13765 times)

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Music lover and involved in industry
    • Airmusic
Air Loudpeakers
« on: January 15, 2016, 02:37:25 PM »
In 2015 I mentioned that we are working on a range of loudspeakers that we will introduce in 2016. It will be an evolution of some of the older Air models, but with a new fresh approach in the design, inside and out, based on new insights gained, new technology and also based on ideas and a clear vision I have on what a loudspeaker should look and sound like. With time, I will provide more details, and even share some of the steps in the production process if there is interest in it. At the moment, these renderings provide a glimpse on what we are working on. We have plans for 3 ranges, all be based on the same building blocks but with different segments of the market in mind. We have  orders for the top model, Air Vivace, of the classical range(still not sure that we will call it a classical range), so that is the priority to bring to life, but hopefully, not long thereafter a statement piece called Air Voice. The focus with all the models will be however on sound quality, style and value.

Offline Blue Bull

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Chris
Re: Air Loudpeakers
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 05:22:31 PM »
Piano black gloss or red gloss ..en ander kleure  :thumbs:

Jy weet wat my idee is ... two way floor stander/damped box/sensitive +90dB/Minimum 6 ohm .... ;D
Merlin VSM MXr Master BAM/Leben CS300F/Marantz CD63 MkII KI /Proceed DAP/Sony 790/PS UPC200/Transp Ultra PowerLink/SignalCable pwrcords/Monster M1500i M1000i/Transp Super sp c / Manley Stingray II/Revel M22/Cardas G Ref sp cable.The Gryphon Callisto 2100

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 07:15:25 PM »
Hi Chris, colors will be available for sure. Not necessarily on all models and piano gloss is stylish and ageless. :)

I don't want to make promises that I can't keep, so easy to drive with a friendly impedance for the type of amps you and I both like is an imperative for any speaker that I will bring to the market. 90db at 6 ohm, is a tough call, so let me rather say that it will match the Merlins's in terms of sensitivity and yes 2-ways will be part of all the ranges. The Voice will have a 15cm midbass driver, and there will be a 18cm(Mezo)and a 20cm 2-way model(Tenor) with a sensitivity of 87db, 88db and 89 sensitivity respectively for the 3 mentioned speakers all at 8ohm nominal impedance. The Vivace 3-way will be 91db at nominal 8ohms   

Offline Blue Bull

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Chris
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 08:54:52 AM »
Hi Chris, colors will be available for sure. Not necessarily on all models and piano gloss is stylish and ageless. :)

I don't want to make promises that I can't keep, so easy to drive with a friendly impedance for the type of amps you and I both like is an imperative for any speaker that I will bring to the market. 90db at 6 ohm, is a tough call, so let me rather say that it will match the Merlins's in terms of sensitivity and yes 2-ways will be part of all the ranges. The Voice will have a 15cm midbass driver, and there will be a 18cm(Mezo)and a 20cm 2-way model(Tenor) with a sensitivity of 87db, 88db and 89 sensitivity respectively for the 3 mentioned speakers all at 8ohm nominal impedance. The Vivace 3-way will be 91db at nominal 8ohms

15 to 20cm midbass driver me likes in a two way ...just because of the size/dimension of the midrange....and thats the crucial part in hi fi design,just because of the fact that 80% of the info is in the midrange .89db is good as long as the min imp does not go below 6ohm. 5 inchers may measure fantastic and have pinpoint imaging etc but sound small in dimension.My opinion.Have experienced this in even very expensive three way designs.Its VERY hard to beat a well designed and executed two way. :thumbs:
Merlin VSM MXr Master BAM/Leben CS300F/Marantz CD63 MkII KI /Proceed DAP/Sony 790/PS UPC200/Transp Ultra PowerLink/SignalCable pwrcords/Monster M1500i M1000i/Transp Super sp c / Manley Stingray II/Revel M22/Cardas G Ref sp cable.The Gryphon Callisto 2100

Offline Nidri

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Don't panic.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »

Stefan are there any standmounts in the pipeline?

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 02:35:41 PM »
Nidri definitely. There will be at least 2 standmounts available, perhaps 3. The Mezzo will be a medium sized standmount and the Tenor a large standmount. However, both these stands will have dedicated stands. The reason being that the ports will be down firing and we think we have a very elegant design for the stands and there is also a possibility that the base might contain the  crossover. We are still making these final design decisions and the 1st prototype will be a Tenor, so we should know at the end of February.

The cabinets will of the classic range will be  from mainly carbon fibre  with mdf and aluminium components. The cabinets constitute a large part of the cost of the final product and the standmounts prices will reflect the lower input costs,  despite the envisaged integral stands.     

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 04:33:34 PM »
Soon we will be doing measurements with prototypes of shallow waveguides to see how the theory, models and simulations are panning out in reality. Open to surprises and new insights and can't wait to what transpire. :)

Offline Michon

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+42)
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 04:36:47 PM »
This looks interesting. I look forward to seeing the final product.

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 06:01:26 PM »
Thanks Michon for your interest. The prototype waveguide fits perfectly in basic test cabinets, (well good enough for 1st version) and I will run the 1st set of measurements hopefully over the weekend. The main objective is to see whether this the way forward or whether I should go back to drawing board.

Offline carl

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 09:20:27 PM »
I heard some of the older range on two separate occasions. They were not outclassed by speakers costing much more (Merlin and Rosso Fiorentino) and the bonus is that Stefan is there to advise and assist. Thanks again for your hospitality Stefan.
Good luck with the new range!

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 10:42:47 AM »
Thanks Carl, glad you liked what you heard. :)

The test with the prototype waveguide was indeed enlightening, but presented a mixed bag of insights. Without going into the details, it works as per theory and simulations. Constant Directivity is achieved  in the desired frequency range, but at the cost of a very ragged top octave response. I have looked into the possible reasons for this less than ideal response and have based on further simulations, designed a few more profiles to further this investigation of waveguides for tweeters.

In the envisaged 3-way with the mid driver I have decided on, the benefits of the use of a waveguide seems to be marginal. I still will do some more tests with different designs, as I think that with the 2 ways with bigger midbass drivers it might be more beneficial to shape the response of the tweeter to blend in better at and around crossover frequencies. The default profile of the faceplate of the tested tweeter seems to be well thought through and the designers clearly know what they are doing. :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 10:52:28 AM by Air »

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 11:33:40 AM »
I've done many waveguide dome experiments (probably hundreds over the years) and I can tell you off the bat, that the waveguide in question will exhibit diffraction effects that even if you get the response seemingly even will sound edgy at elevated volumes, even with lower measured distortion. If the tweeter doesn't respond well to your waveguide it is better to use it as a direct radiator, a lesson I have painfully learnt.

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 12:10:31 PM »
Timber_MG

Thanks for your comment.

My results are similar to what I have seen elsewhere on the web when the ring radiator is used. So I think you are probably correct. Besides, when I revisited previous designs done with the standard faceplate, the results were actually very acceptable with the 150mm mid.

However, I have changed the conical throat to an oblate spheroid design to see if the driver's response does not improve. I will keep the  tractrix exit and increase the mouth to see what the effects are. The smaller irregularities on the photo that could impact on the diffraction is obviously because of the 3D printing method I use for the prototyping that will be not an issue in the final milled aluminium baffle.

The default option would be to use the profile of the standard faceplate, or a slight variation of it.

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 12:18:52 PM »
OS assumes a planar or segment spheroid wavefront at its throat...a dome is neither, so it will not behave like an OS at all. Among the worst results i've ever had were from OS mismatched to domes, though it sometimes works.

For prototyping a dome the 3D print is fine. A dome doesn't have a defined wavefront (neither pressure nor velocity). Domes are easier to make work but the trade-off is that they don't behave like the models assumed in horn theories at all and as such require different approaches until they actually work well. The devil's in the details here and my dust bin has bourne that out often.

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 12:28:40 PM »
Interesting comments and noted. Have you worked with AxiDriver software from the R&D team? The simulated plots correspond to my measurements albeit it still only an impression on  limited attempts.