Author Topic: Valvesound Preamps  (Read 18000 times)

Offline juventino

Re: Valvesound Preamps
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2016, 01:13:06 PM »
That looks awesome.
Cant wait to have a listen.
Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+43)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Valvesound Preamps
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2016, 11:02:52 PM »
if you really feel the need, anything can be done at a cost. This extra cost will not contribute to making the amp sound better.
Personally I dont see the value in that.  :nfi:

You are wrong you see.  When you start selling NOS cream of the crop hand selected tubes to your customers at a nice markup for a lot less effort than building an amp, the angst meter, will stimulate sales.

There is value in that, for you, maybe less so for the customer.
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline valvesound

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • A EUPHORIC EXPERIENCE
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2016, 09:49:35 AM »
Hi all, so it was a nice long weekend and I managed to box the revelation 3. It is sounding extremely good and I am very happy with the result so far. I have to finalise the headphone output and then the lid can come on.

here are a few pics of the revelation 3 pre amp.

PS I have taken Jozua's request to heart and a hours worked timer will be implemeted in the microcontroller and be an option to view and reset on the display.

Regards
Willem

Please contact me if you are interested in any of my products to transform your enjoyment and experience of high end stereo

Offline valvesound

• AVForums Grandmaster
  • A EUPHORIC EXPERIENCE
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2016, 09:52:43 AM »
I have to mention that this pre amp uses the Paladin pre amp controller and volume control.....its really very nice and I love it! Thanks Ian!
Please contact me if you are interested in any of my products to transform your enjoyment and experience of high end stereo

Offline lanties

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town - Bellville - Protea Valley
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2016, 11:51:39 AM »
That looks absolutely stunning!
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox

Offline valvesound

• AVForums Grandmaster
  • A EUPHORIC EXPERIENCE
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2016, 12:25:35 PM »
Thank you so much Lanties. It has been quite a job and to do the wiring that it looks halfway decent and still keep the good engineering practices in place is a pain staking task. So I really appreciate your comment.

Offline scrarfussi

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2016, 03:17:54 PM »
I have to mention that this pre amp uses the Paladin pre amp controller and volume control.....its really very nice and I love it! Thanks Ian!

What function doss the preamp controller serve?
suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Offline valvesound

• AVForums Grandmaster
  • A EUPHORIC EXPERIENCE
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2016, 04:07:32 PM »
What function doss the preamp controller serve?

It does the following:

Channel selection
Volume control
Mute
Power up sequencing
Remote control
Display

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2016, 12:00:07 AM »
Fan friggin tastic!....Congratulations,she is a beauty!
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Francois

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2016, 09:24:00 AM »
This BETTER be at the DIY!!

:notworthy:
I was born analog, not digit by digit....

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2016, 09:58:55 AM »

This BETTER be at the DIY!!

:notworthy:

It's no longer DIY.   Belongs at HiFi show.

Meant as a compliment. 
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline valvesound

• AVForums Grandmaster
  • A EUPHORIC EXPERIENCE
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2016, 10:33:12 AM »
thank you all   :cleansound:

Francois...seeing that you started this thread you will be the first to have the revelation 3 at your house for demo.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 10:35:30 AM by valvesound »

Offline pwatts

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2016, 11:36:26 PM »
Looks great from a technical electrical & mechanical standpoint.
However, as some total unsolicited commentary from the side, my input from aesthetics would be:
- reduce the darkness and change the font of the Revelation 3; my immediate impression was that it was drawn by hand with a magic marker
- change the font of the power/phones/volume to something a bit more modern (it looks like the old rub-on "Letraset" used on DIY projects in the 80's)

[neither of those need cost anything but can make the difference between the looks of a product vs. qty-produced prototype]

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2016, 07:24:08 AM »
Looks great from a technical electrical & mechanical standpoint.
However, as some total unsolicited commentary from the side, my input from aesthetics would be:
- reduce the darkness and change the font of the Revelation 3; my immediate impression was that it was drawn by hand with a magic marker
- change the font of the power/phones/volume to something a bit more modern (it looks like the old rub-on "Letraset" used on DIY projects in the 80's)

[neither of those need cost anything but can make the difference between the looks of a product vs. qty-produced prototype]

Pierre

I agree. Sometimes we are just a bit polite around here and perhaps positive encouragement helps a lot but not always in the right direction?. The fonts could be done better.  Maybe get help from a few ladies on design choice on that.
One other thing I would change are the screws holding the connectors.  Use non magnetic stainless hex or star.  It may sound better but will definitely look better too.

Offline valvesound

• AVForums Grandmaster
  • A EUPHORIC EXPERIENCE
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2016, 08:33:30 AM »
Thank you guys, all the feedback is constructive and I will definitely look into your suggestions.

The font is a difficult process as everything is engraved with a CNC machine. The smaller the font the smaller the cutter. That font on the front panel is machine font which means that the cutter does a single pass only allowing for such small font.
Never the less, thank you for your suggestions. This is a prototype so next pass will be better. :thumbs:

Willem