Author Topic: Loudspeaker Components  (Read 5439 times)

Offline Ampdog

Loudspeaker Components
« on: January 21, 2007, 12:49:28 AM »
Hi all,

Several years ago I had the name of a place in Jo'burg that was willing to sell loudspeaker (driver) half-round surrounds (butyl, whatever). I remember I had some difficulty in finding such; everybody in that business wanted the driver to repair and was not willing to just sell surrounds separately.

I am sure someone here can help me with particulars re such a business. I am not going to pay someone else for something I can do myself, and get it back ... you guess how. Anybody please?
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline Hennie

Re: Loudspeaker Components
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 12:08:12 PM »
Hi,

This is the only repair shop I know about, but I have not dealt with them, so I can't tell whether they sell parts:

http://myweb.absa.co.za/mrspeaker/Default.htm

A number of overseas parts providers sell internationally via the internet and dust caps, spiders, surrounds etc can be obtained this way.

Offline chipwelder

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 04:42:54 PM »
If I'm not mistaken mr. Speaker or Tamas, is not in South Africa anymore.

The Loudspeaker doctor or Harry operated out of Germiston and could source stuff readily, but I suspect he didn't supply, just repair.

Sorry none other, Timber does import stuff from time to time...
OK! I've had it! I don't give anymore Kharma. Kharma should work in mysterious ways...

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 07:57:17 PM »
Many years ago I had new surrounds fitted to some vintage B&O speakers from a person by the name of Mr. Black, in the Benoni area, IIRC. He stated that his son was soon to take over his business. I was quite happy with the quality of work as well as the price charged at the time. I would dearly love to know if they still exist - I unfortunately have lost their contact details and do not know under what name they traded.

I had met Tamas a few years ago, but found him to be somewhat pricey. He mentioned he was intending to sell the business and retire.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline chipwelder

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 07:03:51 AM »
OK! I've had it! I don't give anymore Kharma. Kharma should work in mysterious ways...

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 11:26:33 AM »
Voila!  ;D

http://www.thatsniche.co.za/speakers.htm

That's it!   :)

I was most satisfied with their workmanship and friendliness, although it was some years back that I was last there. Having met both the father and the son at the time, I would have no problems with returning to them at any time.

Thanks for the link! Wish they would advertise in AVSA.... would have found them long ago then :)

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline chipwelder

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 02:56:20 PM »
They did advertise, but this was a few years back... I spoke to Harry earlier, and will take drivers to them...

Offline DRNB

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 12:41:01 PM »
Yes, Harry Black or Loudspeaker doctor has done several repairs for me in the past, nice guy and no problems with his work.

For those of you in the Pta area, there is also a guy with the name of Willy in Centurion, Unversal Speaker. His just as good and also in the business for many many years. His number is: 012 664 2312
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." (Russian Proverb)

Offline chipwelder

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 03:02:23 PM »
Thanks Norval

I'm having trouble getting drivers to Germiston... driving even earlier to go to Germiston before work will be a pain...

Offline Snowy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Junior Member
  • Like I Care !!
    • Crak
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 02:36:04 AM »
:Speechless: dumb Question but is it really cheaper to fix sum speakers rather then to buy a new one ? single speakers of course ? :-\

skinnyfat

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 12:08:24 PM »
That depends very much on what speakers we're talking about here. If they 'Super/hypermarket' ones then NOOOOOOO !!!!  ;D ;D  Pics and details please  :D

Offline Snowy

• AVForums Junior Member
  • Like I Care !!
    • Crak
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 01:15:15 PM »
no just general FI lets say you buy a 5 way 6"9 car speaker for R400 a pair & the the one blows. Cheaper to fix ? or rather throw a beeeeeatch here at work with it ?

Offline DRNB

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 02:21:53 PM »
Price to fix is more or less the same doesn't matter what make or power. For instance to recoil is around R280 and to replace surrounds around  ??? R180, I think, for a 10"

So you decide  ;)
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." (Russian Proverb)

Offline Snowy

• AVForums Junior Member
  • Like I Care !!
    • Crak
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 02:34:46 PM »
Lool Wicked i never even knew places like that exists :D damn mom keeping me away from world !!  ;D

skinnyfat

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 02:37:22 PM »
Lool Wicked i never even knew places like that exists :D damn mom keeping me away from world !!  ;D

;D ;D ;D yeah amongst other things ;)