So which was your favourite DISCO back in the day?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolla

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
:O0: So was wondering since disco is dead and all, which was your favourite ones and maybe a memorable story or two.

Disco's hold a special place in my heart, especially so since I met my dear wife in one, contrary to my mom's good advice that I'd meet my future wife at church, rather that at a disco.

For me a disco night had so much promise: freshly showered, all dressed up and your very best cheap aftershave. Would I meet the best girl ever? Unfortunately most nights ended in puking your guts out and certainly no hot chicks going home with you - if ever.

While still at high school, circa 79-83:
Since I grew up on the North side of the boerewors gordyn, Dimples and Brendan's bar in Bellville was good fun. Had my first Cane, passion fruit and lemonade at Dimples. They let just about anyone in - I was 13/14 at the time. Only figured out later why the hot chicks wasn't all that keen to dance with me  :facepalm:

I have such a cool Mom - she used to drop us off (just around the corner of course) and then set her alarm to come and collect us again around midnite.

When we had a bit more spending money (talkong mowing the lawn, doing the edges, washed the car for pocket money), we would take the train into Cape Town to go to THE club: Club 604 in the Heerengracht Building, top floor with windows all round. Man, they had an awesome sound system, serious strobes, glass floor that lit up on the beat and views over the whole city and harbour. Just had to make sure we did not miss the last train home - very long walk home.

First year (and only year) at Stellenbosch Uni, 1984:
Fequented the Dros and Die Gat.

While residing at the YMCA in 1985, there in Victoria Street, CT there were several clubs, but nothing memorable.

After army 1988, I was back in the Northern suburbs and that when I met my wife in that disco above the Barrons Workshop in Parow, can't remember the name but it was later called Galaxy.

Probably stopped going to disco around 1989/90 around the time we got married - thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

So who did the chicken song then?

Latest posts