Looking for someone that can fix my Tandberg TP41 Radio?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolla

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

unfortunately I am electronically challenged, so everything sounds Hebrew to me when talking components.

I do have a soldering iron or two, as well as a multimeter or 5, but have no formal electronics training, or aptitude for that matter. So this makes me second guess myself when it comes to swapping out electronic components.

I do have this lovely Tandberg TP41 portable radio, which I really, really like. I bought it off Gumtree, but could hear all is not perfect. Apparently, these develop a known fault when the Stabistor or Stabilyt packs up and these are not available anymore. The symptoms in my case is, when I switch it on it sounds great for a few seconds, however the sound degrades very quickly and then just does not sound very good anymore - a little screechy maybe?

In the follow up model, Tandberg used the folowing in place of the proprietary Stabilyt:
It stabilizes the voltage to 1.5 Volts and can be replaced by two silicon diodes and one germanium diode in series (2 x 1N4148 + AA119) in parallel with 220 uF as in the successor TP43.

On eBay, I have seen what I think I need, but I'm not 100% certain it is the right stuff to get.

So, I need help please and have the following 3 choices as I see it:

1) Does anyone maybe have the above combination of components which I can buy from you and then implement myself;
2) if anyone has these parts available and are willing to do the job as well that will also be an option for me. I can send the radio to you, pay for the job and return sending?
3) I can run the eBay listings past you and get your advice if it is the right stuff for the job?

If you think you can help, please let me know.

Latest posts