Author Topic: Sub category  (Read 3026 times)

Offline BobsYourUncle

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • And there you have it, Bob's your uncle
Sub category
« on: December 22, 2015, 08:35:35 PM »
DSTV is hated by as many as its loved by. Starsat is laughed at by all except for the chinese. OVHD is a better alternative than DSTVR49p/m and Starsats entry R99 package. Then there is , Netflix and a few others popping up... TV packages deserve a sub category as there are more than there were 2 years ago and Im sure there will be more. I bring this up, because i have to run an extensive search when I want to Update the FTA topic/ What say the mods?
Sent from my Nokia 2110 using Tapatalk

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
Re: Sub category
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 10:12:19 PM »
Made the FTA thread a sticky for the interim, we can see how the need for a dedicated sub-forum as siuggested develops during the new year.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline BobsYourUncle

• Trader
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 04:22:14 PM »
Made the FTA thread a sticky for the interim, we can see how the need for a dedicated sub-forum as siuggested develops during the new year.

-F_D
Cool, Thanks

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+132)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 04:53:24 PM »
Fellow down the road has 3 dishes (one is 1.2m diameter) and receives about 300 FTA channels using 3 separate receivers.

Of these 300 channels, 290 are religion, most in English, but some in Arabic and some in French.  The remaining 10 or so are a mixture of discussion, shopping, third-rate documentaries, black and white movies (The Legend of Zorro), a dodgy National Geographic clone in Arabic, Russia Today (probably about the best)

A real waste of R8000 and hours of setting it up IMHO.  He hardly switches it on any more

Some of the religious channels are a hoot.  Most seem to take place in West Africa where you have a preacher haranguing the large audience in a marquee in order to convert them I suppose.  One featured a healer and the healer hauled someone out of his wheelchair and flung the wheelchair off the stage, where it hit and injured folks sitting in the front row.  Whereupon he let the crippled person go who collapsed onto the stage.  They kept filming though.  Mind boggling.  The Lord was nowhere in attendance that day
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline BobsYourUncle

• Trader
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 05:06:46 PM »
Fellow down the road has 3 dishes (one is 1.2m diameter) and receives about 300 FTA channels using 3 separate receivers.

Of these 300 channels, 290 are religion, most in English, but some in Arabic and some in French.  The remaining 10 or so are a mixture of discussion, shopping, third-rate documentaries, black and white movies (The Legend of Zorro), a dodgy National Geographic clone in Arabic, Russia Today (probably about the best)

A real waste of R8000 and hours of setting it up IMHO.  He hardly switches it on any more

Some of the religious channels are a hoot.  Most seem to take place in West Africa where you have a preacher haranguing the large audience in a marquee in order to convert them I suppose.  One featured a healer and the healer hauled someone out of his wheelchair and flung the wheelchair off the stage, where it hit and injured folks sitting in the front row.  Whereupon he let the crippled person go who collapsed onto the stage.  They kept filming though.  Mind boggling.  The Lord was nowhere in attendance that day

This applies to all satellites that beam to Africa except for the recently lost Amos5 satellite@17e which had less channels, but 80% were watchable. The satellite is currently lost but will keep an eye out for when move to other satellites which I anticipate will cover Africa.

My spend on tracking satellites has worked out to less than R1500 ( 3 dishes , 80cm, and 2 90cm, 3 fta receivers and 100m of 64 braid cable. For me having those 30 watchable channels made it worth it and I do hope that they find an alternative satellite to broadcast the Amos5 channels as the movie channel was decent.

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 05:16:50 PM »
What do you mean "lost"?  Did it move out of orbit or has it stopped working? 

Offline BobsYourUncle

• Trader
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 07:02:08 PM »
What do you mean "lost"?  Did it move out of orbit or has it stopped working?
Theyve lost contact with it and the replacement will take 3 years( this one was only in year 4 of its intended 15 year life cycle)

Offline ron g

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 07:29:20 PM »

oh. i thought a new category regarding sub woofers was being requested.....   :roll: :roll: :roll:
is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline Intergral

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 01:40:37 PM »
I completely agree on this subcategory. IPTV is becoming very popular and is so much cheaper right now. Internet speeds in SA has finally made IPTV an extremely good alternative

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 04:29:24 PM »
And now Mweb have announced price reductions in Fibre to the home.  R699 for a 20mb/sec 1Gb capped connection.  Hopefully it will be really 20mb, not the "best effort" from Telkom where I am paying for 10mb and if lucky, get 3

See:  http://mybroadband.co.za/news/fibre/148003-new-mweb-fibre-to-the-home-prices-kick-in.html

Offline Intergral

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 06:36:18 PM »

And now Mweb have announced price reductions in Fibre to the home.  R699 for a 20mb/sec 1Gb capped connection.  Hopefully it will be really 20mb, not the "best effort" from Telkom where I am paying for 10mb and if lucky, get 3

See:  http://mybroadband.co.za/news/feedback-in.html
hey bud the link you posted isn't working

Offline placebo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • How can you have money for beer but not for Beenos
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 09:13:02 PM »
Sorry link is not working either.
For,when money or oiled hands determine the voting outcome,particularly in a matter of such monumental importance,then no conscience or oath finds expression.

Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng