Author Topic: Bluetooth capable amp  (Read 3614 times)

Offline Atjan

Bluetooth capable amp
« on: December 20, 2015, 07:46:00 AM »
Visiting family out in the platteland, I got asked where they can get a set of proper powered speakers that are BT enabled so all their iTunes based music can be played from a proper set-up. They've got a set of old Celestion bookshelf speakers
which is their reference ito decent sound - they have a Bose dock, so that is covered.

I suggested that they rather look for BT enabled amp and just replace the Yamaha amp they have with that. I know NuPrime has BT, but I have a feeling they are not looking to spend that much.
I found this on PartsExpress:
http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp7498e-200w-class-d-stereo-amplifier-with-bluetooth-aptx-and-power-supply--310-298

Any other local options? The Lepai should come to around R3k landed, but then support is only on the Net. It's specs are also not THAT impressive, tbh.
Is there perhaps a BT streamer one could just add to the Yamaha amp?
Thanks in advance!
It's only hifi people....

Offline GECO

Re: Bluetooth capable amp
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 09:36:50 AM »
Edifier lunar eclipse.
Nothing else needed

Offline Morne Coetzee

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
Lots of options. This is the Harman Kardon BT-10, Yamaha has one Logitech has some, Belikin etc..

There is Always justification for more Amplification!

Offline Atjan

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 10:38:17 PM »
Thanks Morne'. I saw the Logitech one on Takealot for about R550. That should be a reasonably clean solution that can just plug into their existing set-up.

@Geco
The Edifiers are nice but I doubt they will do Skarumba at satisfying levels in a largish room. ;D

Offline ron g

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 06:39:43 AM »

there's someone on gumtree selling samsung wireless for r300.

might give a better range & bandwidth than bluetooth, but i suspect it may only be for samsung devices?

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-speakers/boksburg/samsung-wireless-audio-multiroom/1001516147740910037017709

otherwise there's another guy selling no name brand wireless receivers for 599

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-audio-receivers/other/wireless-wi+fi-music-streaming-receiver-+-supports-dlna-airplay-qplay-hi+fi-music-sharing-+e405/1001231692350910074192509

is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline Nidri

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 07:55:21 AM »

If they're already familiar with an iTunes environment, then an Airport Express would not be a bad idea either.

Either connected directly to their Yamaha amp (analogue) or to a small DAC first (optical).

Airplay streaming will sound better than Bluetooth, even aptX.
Whilst Nidri takes reasonable care to ensure that the information in this message is correct and up to date, this might not always be the case. Nidri does not give any warranties as to the accuracy and safety of any information appearing in this message.

Offline Neil

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 08:30:59 AM »
Yamaha have just released their music cast bluetooth powered speakers - saw them on facebook - audioholics was advertising them
Dali have bluetooth speakers - worth checking them out.

How much do they want to spend because what i have suggested above is not cheap (R4000 - R8000)- most speaker manufactures are doing bluetooth / wireless solutions now.

Maybe even look at SONOS connect amp? and you can connect whatever speakers you want - But you looking at R10 000 minimum.
HT FRONT 7.1 - Yamaha767, Klipsch R15m, B&W302 rear, yamaha satellites surrounds.
ZONE2 - Polk tsx110b
HT Bedroom 6.1- Onkyo 700e, SONY SS-CN3 Centre, AE Compact 1 Fronts, yamaha satellites rears.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+132)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 08:34:26 AM »
Bluetooth has limited bandwidth (about 24mb/second in ideal conditions).  This might just affect hi-res audio
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Neil

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 08:41:47 AM »
@chris - they want to play their itunes music - no hi res in there - i have a bluetooth dongle and it works fine with my itunes playlist...
HT FRONT 7.1 - Yamaha767, Klipsch R15m, B&W302 rear, yamaha satellites surrounds.
ZONE2 - Polk tsx110b
HT Bedroom 6.1- Onkyo 700e, SONY SS-CN3 Centre, AE Compact 1 Fronts, yamaha satellites rears.

Offline Flappy

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 07:46:28 AM »
The logitech one works well for little money, has rca's and small stereo jack...plug it in press sync button and you're away.Get good results even 10-12 m away!

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 08:05:56 AM »

Is there perhaps a BT streamer one could just add to the Yamaha amp?
Thanks in advance!

Yes there is... And we sell them often. It's via digital coax (Not stereo), power up via USB (so best placed close to a decoder or whatnot with a free USB) and cover the 20hz-20khz freq (usually the compromise you will make when going for much cheaper names).

Offline Atom8

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 08:22:55 AM »

What I had forgotten until my Wifi went down recently is that Airplay requires WiFi infrastructure to work - make sure it's available when assessing the options.

If they're already familiar with an iTunes environment, then an Airport Express would not be a bad idea either.

Either connected directly to their Yamaha amp (analogue) or to a small DAC first (optical).

Airplay streaming will sound better than Bluetooth, even aptX.
Respect your Parents,
they passed school without Google.

Opening a pack of batteries is like feeding a loaf of bread to the pigeons.

Offline Atjan

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 10:51:07 PM »
The logitech one works well for little money, has rca's and small stereo jack...plug it in press sync button and you're away.Get good results even 10-12 m away!
For them, out in the sticks, I think the Logitech on Takealot is probably the best option. Good to know it works well.  :2thumbs:

Offline TimbaLand

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 11:08:07 PM »
Apple TV
Marantz AV8801|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, DB1 and 685|Harman Kardon BDT30|Optoma HD25E projector| Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver

Offline Atjan

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 11:12:06 PM »
Apple TV
Does this have to be connected to WIFI or a screen?