Affordable hifi components

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robthomas

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know this is probably a question that's been asked many times before, but after doing a quick search through the forums and not finding anything specific enough for me I thought I'd bother you with it anyway. Hopefully the audio freaks out there will be able to lower their standards enough to help me on my way!

At the moment I have a samsung home theatre system. I don't know what model it is but it cost me R1 500 a year and a half ago, so that should tell you all you need to know about that. I watch the odd dvd but 95% of the time i use it for listening to music, and I've never felt satisfied once.
I'm no sound junkie but I need something that gives me smile every time I turn it on. Only catch is I don't have much more than R5 000 to spend. After reading a few of the posts here I realize that a sony all-in-one surround sound system from Game, or some other complete solution, is not an option any of you would ever recommend so my questions are these...

What's the best i can do for R5 000? I'm looking for quality of sound over volume, though it's still gonna have to be loud enough for my housewarming:) From what I can make out an amp and two 3-ways are my best bet, but I don't know what combination works well. I listen to a wide range of music every day, from hip-hop to country to rock to hard house to 50's divas.

Can I get my dvd player to play surround sound through the amp for when i want to watch movies? It has an optical in but I don't think it has an optical out. And I'd like to use the dvd player as my cd player too, which would allow me to spend all my cash on just the amp and speakers. A decent cd/dvd player could then be my next purchase.

If my dvd can't port 5.1 sound to the amp can I buy one that does and then use the satellites from my current cheapie system for my surround sound? Movie sound quality isn't as important to me, as long as i can hear the dialogue clearly I'm happy.

Should I look at buying second hand kit? It seems a little risky for someone with no idea what they're talking about and i haven't met a trusty second hand dealer of ANYTHING yet.

I know from other posts that listening to systems is the best way to find the one for me but the salesmen in the shops haven't been much help at all. They only seem to want to sell me whatever system they already have set up. So I'd quite like to go into a shop with a couple of options suggested by you lot and then listen to just those before making a decision. As I said before I'm no audiophile but I don't want to screw up the way i did when i bought a cheap surround sound system. If i have money in a year's time i want to be able to upgrade without having to buy an entirely new system.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Rob