Author Topic: Roon completely destroyed my music file structure.  (Read 1110 times)

Offline 2wice

Roon completely destroyed my music file structure.
« on: December 11, 2015, 08:24:45 PM »
Without any prompts that I'm aware of, it reorganized my music the way it feels it should be.
And in doing so it orphaned a multitude of folders empty of any music but that includes all my scans and cover pics and cue files. WTF!

Now in Foobar only embedded covers are showing. NOT COOL!  :sd:

Offline Rotten Johnny

Re: Roon completely destroyed my music file structure.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 12:21:26 AM »
You didn't read the setup options carefully when pointing it at your music, did you?  You can have watched folders and organised folders...you should not have configured anything under organised folders.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 03:12:04 AM »
On a positive note, it wont have changed any of your metadata, so you can use a tag editor like mp3tag or puddletag to move your files back to the structure you previously had in play.

Offline 2wice

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 09:12:22 AM »
Nope. probably did not read as much as I should have.

I'll see if I can get everything back to sanity.

Various Artists is completely fuxored though. I've got a gazillion artist folders now, each split into into album folder. Not a very sane way of organizing music. This means each of those artists don't have any album covers anymore. The same for best of comps if the tags aren't spot on. Completely bonkers.

I'll try to fix via software.

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 09:29:08 AM »
Nope. probably did not read as much as I should have.

I'll see if I can get everything back to sanity.

Various Artists is completely fuxored though. I've got a gazillion artist folders now, each split into into album folder. Not a very sane way of organizing music. This means each of those artists don't have any album covers anymore. The same for best of comps if the tags aren't spot on. Completely bonkers.

I'll try to fix via software.

They offer the 'let us organise your tunes' for people whose collections are an absolute mess.  The rest of us needn't apply for that option.

Let me make simple suggestion...:
- Load all your music into mp3tag or puddletag and rename all files "album - artist - track - title"
- Then load all the files into a file manager like Total Commander or Double Commander and select all music files via a wildcard search e.g. *.flac
- Then move all the files into the parent folder, sort by filename
- Now select each album sequentially and move it into the appropriate folder
- Reload the lot into mp3tag or puddletag and rename the files the way you like them

You can do the move automagically with puddletag by using "./%artist% - %album%/"
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 09:35:40 AM by Rotten Johnny »

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 09:35:20 AM »
When you're done with that use a file manager to search for folders with no content and select and delete them.

Offline 2wice

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 10:57:50 AM »
Thanks I'll try that.