Affordable High-Def video *now*

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kay

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I found this little gadget in a promotional email from Digital Planet (no affiliation or anything, just found it interesting):

http://www.digitalplanet.co.za/shop/product.asp?stockid=95804&=415

It's basically an external hard-drive enclosure (sans the hard drive) with its own audio and video playback. It comes with a remote control and 720p or 1080i output, and it's fairly cheap for what you get IMO. With other digital devices like the Apple TV entering the living room, do you guys think the days of transporting content around on shiny plastic discs are numbered? The Apple TV has no optical drive either, just a hard drive and network connectivity (WiFi 802.11n as well as wired Fast Ethernet).

Oh, and another interesting bit of information! Microsoft announced IPTV support for the Xbox 360 at CES last week. One of the partners listed in Bill Gates' presentation is... guess who?... Telkom! Yup, that's right. They're looking to branch into video distribution because of the increasing competition in the voice space. I reckon the experiments with 4Mbit ADSL aren't at all coincidental.