What has technology made obsolete

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mihali

Reaction score
Tape deck car stereos. After a brief driving experience in my Dads car I recognised what I thought was a relic of the past and it still worked. I haven't seen a Tape deck/Car stereo sold in the shops for years and I started to wonder what else has gone to the technology cemetery or is hanging on for dear life. Unlike fashion, once your superseded, you have flatlined.

#1-Phone Booths-Parents hand out mobile phones to their 6 year olds under the guise of 'safety'. Usually trends start with one child showing off his new toy at show and tell and then every child wants one until it becomes the norm. Besides, they were always dirty or vandalized and sometimes had to walk for kilometers to find one.

#2-Classifieds In Newspapers-We check the internet

#3-Dial Up Internet-Our expectations on speed have changed and we have less patience for loading times.

#4-Encyclopedias-I don't think a child growing up today even knows how to spell encyclopedia let alone know how to spell it.  The introduction of the internet has virtually made them obsolete. You can still access online versions but when was the last time anyone bought a hard copy.

#5-CD's-Mp3's. You don't have to worry about storage and scratching.

#6-Landline Phone. - Mobile phone plans are becoming more affordable and wireless devices in cars.

#7-Film (And Film Cameras). It's a digital world and you don't have to worry about conserving your shots for the right one or processing times to find out what your photos look like.

#8-Yellow Pages And Address Books- Big heavy books that left ink marks and your mother would complain about leaving finger prints when you 'forgot' to wash your hands, we check the internet.

#9-Catalogs- Stored on computers or websites.

#10-Fax Machines- computers, emails

#11-Wires/Cables-Wireless technology is in it's early stages of development but we are seeing more devices communicating with each other without wires as a connection.

#12-Hand-Written Letters-with virtually every classroom now equipped with computers, the emphasis is on typing your assignments and communication is by email or sms on mobile phones.

What are your thought's and can you come up with any more?

article from:http://amperehometheatre.wordpress.com/2010/01/04/what-is-almost-obsolete-blame-technology/