Author Topic: SA Craft beers and where to get them  (Read 7854 times)

Offline Trompie67

Re: SA Craft beers and where to get them
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 11:25:04 AM »
Brilliant - thanks to the mods/admins for splitting this off from the other thread.

Here's the contents an email I sent to another enthusiast earlier this year - lots of details & places to visit!

Enjoy!

To start – the one’s I have been to:

1.   Brauhaus Am Damm – http://new.brauhaus.co.za – about 20km’s outside of Rustenburg on the Magaliesburg to Rustenburg road. They make a fine Weiss & Pilsner & the food is good too, their Eisbein is highly recommended! However, if you are eating be prepared to wait as the service is not that great. Order 2 beers at a time & call for the next round when you start the second!

2.   Copperlake – www.copperlake.co.za – in the Broadacres Shopping Centre on Cedar Rd. in Fourways. They have a lovely testing/tasting tray & their placemats have details of all the beers on tap & corresponds with the tasting tray. Great food & atmosphere & the Weiss is great. They also do a really nice Citrus Cooler for the ladies. Plus they do a “brew your own” where you make 100 litres of beer, 50 litres gets sold by them & 50 litres gets bottled for you to take home. This takes 3 odd weeks before it is ready though, so a return trip is a must to collect your brew! I can’t comment on the food as we were there at 09h00 on their opening day!

3.   Brewhogs – www.brewhogs.co.za – In Midrand close to Kyalami Race Track. I only enjoyed the “No. 1” – a Pilsner, as I’m not that fond of IPL’s which are their other brews. Very interesting history behind this brewery – the brewery was originally at Barneys Tavern in Gold Reef City & then mothballed - the current owners purchased it out of storage from SAB & had it recommissioned. No option to eat though.

4.   Swagga Breweries – www.swaggabrewery.co.za – they are in Barium Street in Alrode. Their Weiss is absolutely outstanding, as is their Country Ale. Rudimentary food served (Bockwurst Rolls) if you arrange in advance. Fantastic people, I found them to be really friendly & easy to engage with, very eager to share their story and their beer.

5.   Chameleon Brewhouse – www.chameleonbrewpub.co.za – Located in the Chameleon Village at Hartebeespoort. I tried their Weiss which was awful – very pale & tasted insipid. No sign of the typical Weiss cloves and banana aromas. I tried another thinking I perhaps got a dud, but it was the same. I then tried their Blonde Ale which was passable. We didn’t eat there as time did not permit, but after trying the beers I won’t be back!

6.   Ubuntu Kraal www.sowetogold.co.za – Located in Orlando West. The venue is huge & was completely deserted when we went. It is not only the brewery, but also a tavern, & a large open air market, so looked decidedly ramshackle & run down with nothing there. There was supposed to be food being served, however none was on offer. The Soweto Gold Lager was excellent, albeit pricey – R50-00 for 500ml is a bit over the top for a local brew. No other options except the Lager & a Ginger Beer for the ladies which I didn’t try. We could tour the brewery – however the cost was R100-00 each which was out of kilter considering we’d been given free tours of two other breweries on the same day we went to Ubuntu Kraal! Overall I got the impression it was a tourist trap money making racket.

7.   Gilroys – www.gilroybeers.co.za – probably one of the best known craft brewers, we’ve been there often. Located in Muldersdrift just off the N14 it’s easy to find! Their “Favourite Pale Ale” is excellent as is their Lager. The food is good & there is often live music. Tours of the brewery happen every day. Be prepared to settle in for the afternoon! They also do a few tours of the brewery every afternoon.

8.   Sabie Brewing Company – www.sabiebrewery.com – Located on the main road as you come in from Lydenburg over Long Tom Pass. Their “Wheelbarrow Weiss” & “Long Tom Lager” are excellent. They also have an experimental brew called Cockney Liz – it differs with each brew & is worth trying a glass. Food is good & the folk are wonderful, albeit that the place is a bit touristy! I guess that’s because it is in a tourist town! It’s pretty new, but very enjoyable. Again, one can easily settle in for the afternoon, so beware!

9.   Hops Hollow  - http://www.hopshollow.com – Located on Long Tom Pass midway between Sabie & Lydenburg. Their “Tappers Brew” (Pilsner) and “Diggers Draught” (Kolschbier) are both very nice. They serve food, however we’ve never stayed long enough to eat – we generally pop in for a beer when riding in to Sabie from Jhb, so have a quick beer & then it’s back on the bikes to Sabie.

10.   The Cockpit Brewhouse - www.thecockpitbrewhouse.co.za – Based in Cullinan it's an easy morning ride from Jhb. Their “Fokker” Weiss is delicious. I also enjoyed their “Helles Belles” Blonde Ale! Food is simple but tasty. The Sausage Platter is my staple when we stop for brunch on the bikes!

11.   Two Okes Brewery - www.twookesbrewery.co.za – I have tried all their beers at an event, simply because they were the only craft brewery there! I stuck with the Pilsner, the Pale Ale was passable but their Weiss was very weak – reminded me of the Chameleon Weiss which was not a good experience!

12.    Oakes Brewhouse in Modderfontein - http://oakesbrewhouse.co.za – a bit unusual as it is owned, run & brewed by two ladies! The “Wise” (Weiss) was passable. The pricing was insanely expensive. R150-00 for a 400ml bottle is Lala Land. It’s located next to a restaurant & also includes a coffee roastery. Very “trendy” & “hip”.

13     Ale House in Broederstroom/Hartebeespoort - http://www.alehouse.co.za – Their Capsicum Ale & the Pizzas were outstanding! We’ve been back a few times as it’s an easy breakfast run on the bikes from Jhb on a Sunday morning.

Those are the only ones I’ve managed to get to thus far!

Still on the list:
1.     Black Horse Brewery just outside Magaliesburg - http://www.blackhorse.co.za

2.   De Garve in Vanderbijlpark - http://www.degarve.co.za

3.   Smack Republic in Jhb CBD at Arts on Main - http://www.smackrepublic.com – I’m interested to try their take on a Biere d’Saison with added Naartjie! Just a bit sceptical about Arts on Main, we’ve been there before and it was a bit to “trendy” for my liking!

4.   Anvil Ale Brewery in Dullstroom – http://www.anvilbrewery.com – The ride from Dullstroom to Lydenburg & over Long Tom to Sabie is always good & will serve as an excellent reason for a weekend away & to sample the beers! I’d be keen to try their Biere d’Saison & White Anvil. !

5.   Cape Brewing Company - http://capebrewing.co.za – I enjoy their Krystal Weiss & their Amber Weiss, so a visit to the brewery & a tasting would not be amiss!

Another fantastic day out option is the Jozi Beer Tour. http://www.craftbeertours.co.za/jozibeertour - I did one in January where we started at Copperlake, went on to Brewhogs, then Swagga & finally Ubuntu Kraal before heading back to Copperlake. It was on an open top double decker bus & was fantastic fun. Copperlake beers on tap on the bus.

Their website (take you there) is a bit of a shambles, but a bunch of nice blokes & we had a ball. I got a bit stressed as their communication with regards to booking, payment etc. etc. was appalling, but that may just be because I like to have all the T’s crossed & the i’s dotted! The youngsters these days seem a lot more easygoing!

They also do a Mega Beer Tour – I’m keen to try that too!

We used Uber to take us to Copperlake in the morning & our wives collected us in the afternoon – I can highly recommend Uber if you haven’t used it before. We use it extensively now as it just makes more sense than trying to sort out designated drivers etc. etc.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline fuz940510

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 11:29:08 AM »
Surprisingly, the Blue Bottle Liquor store in Kyalami stocks a pretty healthy selection of craft beers. Most of them are imported however.

There's the Irish Club in Linden, they have some craft drafts. I've also heard good things about the 44 Stanley Beer Hall

The one at Brauhaus am Damm is not bad at all - the only problem (for me anyway, not them) is that the service there is so shocking you have to order them 2 at a time & when the first one is finished you order the next two!
Brauhaus service and some of their clientele  :puke: Went there along with an interracial couple, the number of foul looks the poor girl got was quite something

+1 to Black Horse Brewery and Gilroys, -10 for Brauhaus
If you want to be taken seriously, always check your fly.

Offline BWS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 11:29:50 AM »
Darling Bonecrusher is a favourite of mine as well
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline BWS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 11:32:09 AM »
Devil's Peak B.C. make some delicious lager as well  :dop:
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline Juggy

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2015, 11:35:13 AM »
I like the Stellenbrau Jonkers Weiss, in fact I love all Weiss beer specifically this and Paulaner

http://stellenbrau.co.za/pages/our-beers.php

Online vleisman

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 11:50:22 AM »
I'll also pick up a Drayman's Weiss, they're just round the corner from me.

Drayman beers are also sold by makro, in 1 litre plastic bottles. The beer is so good I grudgingly overlook the plastic bottles.

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 12:34:01 PM »
I cannot comment on the service at Brauhaus am Damm nor their patronage, I've only had their beer at Beer Festivals. Imke and the crew were a right jol and some friends of mine have actually arranged to brew a lager batch with her for a church bazaar. The Dunkel is really good. I believe she gets almost everything except for her water from Germany where she learned her trade. If you expect Castle lager you'll be bitterly disappointed.

For those wanting Eisbein and Draymann's Weiss on Tap and not their plastic bottles I can heartily recommend Eisbein & co in the Willows, Pretoria. They serve Aldtstadt on tap (I believe that to be Daymann's Weiss's brand). The service is real German, don't expect many frills or smiles, but expect efficiency and the the best Eisbein with traditional Sauerkraut (not the junk from a can).

Nothing wrong with bottle brewed Erdinger/Paulaner, but to get a good freshly brewed Weiss from the vat is a treat. Weissbier is still a new-comer to the scene here and many brew up a very bland brew. I'll try the CBC Weiss if I can find it.

Offline Ian

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 01:14:36 PM »

For those in the south of Jhb - have a look at swagga brewery. It's 3 buddies who started brewing from a home kit & now have a brewery with 6+ stills when I was there in January. Their Weiss & Country Ale are simply outstanding. They're based in Barium Street in Alrode, so it's a weekday only visit to purchase from them. Really nice chaps who are only too happy to share their time & experiences.

I can list numerous other places we've been if the OP doesn't mind the hijack?

seconded The Swagga beer is great There is nothing like an ice cold Blonde served by a hot chick :-) And yes great guys :-)

Offline Atjan

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 09:40:02 PM »
Thanks for the list Trompie. Sounds like I need to make a plan to get the beer tour done.

We went to the Black Horse about 3 months ago. Very nice place to visit - just outside Magaliesburg. Bookings it seems are essential and for good reason.

One you can add is the Nottingham Road Brewing Company at the Rawdons Hotel just outside Nottingham Road in the Natal Midlands. http://www.rawdons.co.za/midlands-brewery-at-rawdons/ I always order the plank of tasters. I enjoy most of their beers, the Whistling Weasel Pale Ale and the Pickled Pig Porter are favourites. I always try and convince my wife to have a sip of the porter - very fruity flavours. The pub there is a typical old British style and in winter I can see myself spending a day with all the fireplaces in there.

I bought a 4-pack of CBC weiss the other day - very nice beer but have not quite knocked Steph Weiss off the pedestal for me as yet.
It's only hifi people....

Offline dieOrg

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 09:55:12 PM »
www.draymans.com
www.shongwenibrewery.co.za

If you like CBC Pilsener, try Drymans Berghof
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 09:58:38 PM by dieOrg »

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2015, 05:15:58 PM »
German Grocer - Sanlam Business Park, Racecourse Road, Montague Gardens.  About 20 varieties of German and South African Craft beer
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline AntS

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2015, 11:16:36 PM »
Another great spot to buy local craft beer (and other alcohol) is www.bottleshop.co.za (they even have an iOS app for your phone) . They deliver exceptionally quickly if you live in Cape Town (within a few hours) and have very competitive pricing.

I have no affiliation to Bottleshop, but have had consistently good service from them.

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2015, 06:52:01 AM »
Another great spot to buy local craft beer (and other alcohol) is www.bottleshop.co.za (they even have an iOS app for your phone) . They deliver exceptionally quickly if you live in Cape Town (within a few hours) and have very competitive pricing.

I have no affiliation to Bottleshop, but have had consistently good service from them.

They are also insanely expensive! R50 to R70 a case more expensive than Makro for local beers? Rather buy 2 cases at Makro & essentially get a third one free for the same price!
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline AntS

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2015, 09:20:23 AM »
Whoops! I do see that that their normal beer prices are high.

My judgement was clouded by buying the wife's favorite gin from them for a good price.

I assume the cost of delivery is factored in for beer as its heavy and you pay for the convenience of delivery to your door.

Offline Mythor

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2016, 04:22:16 PM »
For those that want to try their own hand at this satisfying hobby, have a look at http://blackkiltbrewery.co.za

Its a hobby business run by a friend of mine, Ross McHugh. He sell the kits required to brew your own, and has a wide range of beer types available. I have sampled a fair number of his brews and they are damn fine. 

:thumbs::dop: :thumbs: