Author Topic: SA Craft beers and where to get them  (Read 7597 times)

Offline Katji

SA Craft beers and where to get them
« on: November 27, 2015, 05:02:20 AM »
Interesting...i'm sure they did the marketing research. Sure took them a long time to figure it out. Or did they get a new CEO or something.

But - for me - there is only one - CBC Pilsner.  i didn't even like beer, all my life, then i discovered that i liked pilsner. Only then did i try Hansa when the shop didn't have the CBC.  Few bucks more is worth it, and it benefits a nice genuine brewery company instead of a big corporate.

Offline Trompie67

Re: SA Craft beers and where to get them
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 07:25:50 AM »
Interesting...i'm sure they did the marketing research. Sure took them a long time to figure it out. Or did they get a new CEO or something.

But - for me - there is only one - CBC Pilsner.  i didn't even like beer, all my life, then i discovered that i liked pilsner. Only then did i try Hansa when the shop didn't have the CBC.  Few bucks more is worth it, and it benefits a nice genuine brewery company instead of a big corporate.

Agree that the Pilsener is great. CBC make a very nice Weiss as well.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 09:29:03 AM »
Agree that the Pilsener is great. CBC make a very nice Weiss as well.
where does one buy their stuff?
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline BWS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 09:33:23 AM »

It's all over Cape Town, seeing as its brewed in Paarl. Makro, Tops, Pick n Pay liquors all stock it here, not sure about over the boarder where you are
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+132)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 09:35:11 AM »
In Cape Town Ultra (in Wynberg) sell CBC Pilsener and other variants.  I saw it on the shelf yesterday.  Its a bit expensive.  They knew about Carling Blue Label but were awaiting delivery of the shipment
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline vleisman

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 10:42:43 AM »
CBC Amber Weiss - better than mother's milk  :dop:

Offline vleisman

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 10:44:15 AM »

Makro or else lots of places in Greenside, some even have it on tap

Offline BWS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 10:45:43 AM »

I dare you to taste mother's milk today  :point:
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 10:59:22 AM »
The best Weissbier I've tasted in SA sofar by far has been "Brauhau am Damm" by Imke Pape. She (you read right a lady) also brews a great Dunkel Lager. Pity they're so far out but when they're at a Craft Beer event near me I usually make a point of going.

I'll look for the Blue label when going out shopping a bit later. I'll also pick up a Drayman's Weiss, they're just round the corner from me.

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 11:01:26 AM »
The best Weissbier I've tasted in SA sofar by far has been "Brauhau am Damm" by Imke Pape. She (you read right a lady) also brews a great Dunkel Lager. Pity they're so far out but when they're at a Craft Beer event near me I usually make a point of going.

I'll look for the Blue label when going out shopping a bit later. I'll also pick up a Drayman's Weiss, they're just round the corner from me.

Try the "Naked Mexican" you may like it...

:dop:

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 11:01:54 AM »

Our Loco Liq in Crowthorne stocks it. As well as a huge number of local & imported craft beers & smaller breweries stuff.

They (CBC) have a distribution map on their "Contact Us" page - just scroll down to the bottom of the page.

http://capebrewing.co.za/contact-us/

Why not go to your local bottle store & ask them to stock it? I did that with Maisels & the local Loco Liq now makes sure I get a case every week! :)

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 11:02:36 AM »

Indeed!  :2thumbs:

Offline dkronie

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 11:07:55 AM »
Order online at League of Beers they part of Yuppie Chef with quick delivery , very good service , not the cheapest but they work well
http://www.leagueofbeers.com/cape-brewing-company.htm?id=9672&name=Cape-Brewing-Company-Amber-Weiss
Northen Sub , Cape Town

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 11:10:06 AM »

The one at Brauhaus am Damm is not bad at all - the only problem (for me anyway, not them) is that the service there is so shocking you have to order them 2 at a time & when the first one is finished you order the next two!

For those in the south of Jhb - have a look at swagga brewery. It's 3 buddies who started brewing from a home kit & now have a brewery with 6+ stills when I was there in January. Their Weiss & Country Ale are simply outstanding. They're based in Barium Street in Alrode, so it's a weekday only visit to purchase from them. Really nice chaps who are only too happy to share their time & experiences.

I can list numerous other places we've been if the OP doesn't mind the hijack?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:12:41 AM by Trompie67 »

Offline dkronie

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 11:14:46 AM »
It's Cape Town Festival of Beer this weekend , the biggest commercial craft beer festival in the world

http://capetownfestivalofbeer.co.za/

https://www.facebook.com/CTFOB/
Northen Sub , Cape Town