Author Topic: folded horn cabinet full range DIY project  (Read 1128 times)

Offline 1200GXman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
folded horn cabinet full range DIY project
« on: November 26, 2015, 02:49:00 PM »
Hi all
Please find below a link I stumbled across that I found very interesting. If you have some spare time, please go to the link and give me your thoughts. Very tempted to try this as a DIY project in the future but I am not too clued up on full range speakers and horn cabinets.
What might your thoughts be?

http://www.vbspeakers.com/free-diy-project
Sansui AU-101, Sansui AU3900, Rotel RA935BX, Pioneer SA-6500 Mkii, Marantz PM53, DIY kit amplifier

Offline WD

• Formerly Waterhond
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: folded horn cabinet full range DIY project
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 05:37:47 PM »
Looks like a great project. Presumably the enclosure dimensions etc. were optimised for that driver - are you planning to get a pair? :thumbs:

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 05:42:45 PM by WD »

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 08:37:07 PM »
What is it you're looking for from this project? A quick look at the posted plans shows some clever back wave cancellation along the lines of Tannoy and an extension to probably not much below 100Hz at a guess. The low compression ratio and relatively large rear chamber indicate that this is perhaps more of a high tuned transmission line.

If you have a subwoofer to use with this set it may be worth a look.

Depending on driver choice I could recommend a few other options as well.

With "small" rear loaded horns often a compact bass reflex can out-punch it when done right.

Offline 1200GXman

• AVForums Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 07:23:41 AM »
To give more background. I am tempted to try a full ranger project. My problem is I have looked everywhere yesterday and I can't find full range drivers in south Africa for such a hifi project.
@Timber_MG
 Please if you could share some other ideas I would really appreciate it. This project looks a little complex but might be worth it in the end. Do you have something that might be a little less complex and if possible a tried and tested project?
Then the most important question. Drivers. Where can I source a driver locally for such a project.
Sansui AU-101, Sansui AU3900, Rotel RA935BX, Pioneer SA-6500 Mkii, Marantz PM53, DIY kit amplifier

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 07:58:39 AM »
Perhaps start with what you wish to drive them with, your room and how much LF extension/sensitivity you want out of them.

RL horns are more lively than a bass reflex for example. This means they're not extremely neutral but they can have high sensitivity and a lively character. They'll never be as well behaved as a multi-way front loaded horn for example, but the simplicity of the concept appeals to some.

I have a Fostex FE206En for which I built an extension for a an existing horn that tunes to 90Hz. Horns drop off fairly rapidly below their cut off frequency so a little subwoofer assistance is warranted (and the same would apply with this design). On the upshot they are ~105dB sensitive in the mid-bass and up which makes for a combo that is extremely efficient and punchy.

As always, Hoffmann's Iron law applies: efficiency, low bass extension, small enclosure: choose two.

Offline 1200GXman

• AVForums Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 09:04:48 AM »
I have multiple amps that I rotate on occasion just to enjoy them all.
Sansui 22W
Pioneer 30W
Rotel 40W
Marantz 65w

The thing with this is I want to try something different. Currently I have a set of DIY speakers that have 8" drivers, a tweeter and crossover.
They are very good for DIY build speakers and people who listened to them are impressed. My fellow vinyl club members have B&W, Dali and Klipch speakers and Rotel power amp and Yamaha amps. Another guy I recently visited have some magneplanar which sounded very different. There was very little bass and the treble were not really there like the B&W speakers. YET, I fully enjoyed listening to them. I also read that the full ranger speakers is not so tiring on the ears. Please educate me more on all these terms as I would like to learn more.