FLAC Tags and file naming conventions

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanB

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi

I am about to venture into the wonderful world of digital audio files - FLAC in particular.

After "ripping" (such a stupid term IMO) a CD using EAC, I see there are various options with regard to tagging the file.  After doing a bit of research I see that MP3 files use ID3 tags (whatever they may be) but alas FLAC uses different tags (what ever they may be).  EAC allows you to switch off ID3 tags (I unchecked the box) and it still seems to tag the file but I'm not sure of what exactly is being done.

On one site I browsed there was a warning that if you dont get the Flac tags right some players wont play the file.  I dont want to find out after "ripping" a few hunder CD's that I got it wrong and have to do it all again.  So can somebody please illuminate the finer points of this arcane art?

Also could somebody help with regard to file naming conventions?  I see there are various options available such as ARTIST-TRACK TITLE- TRACK NUMBER etc etc.  What is the most commonly or intelligent approach here?

And lastly how does one save the files on a hard drive?  Do you start a folder for every CD/album with each track as a separate file therein?