Author Topic: On the doktors table.  (Read 4149 times)

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • :-)
    • Turntable repairs Cape Town
On the doktors table.
« on: November 22, 2015, 07:35:57 AM »
Yes. Doktor is spelt wrong  ;)

This thread is just a little running log of some of the stuff that comes past my workbench that might (or might not) be of interest to you...

Linn LP12 serial #66054

On the doktors table: Linn LP12 serial #66054 with Linn Lingo power supply and Ekos tonearm. This one came in for a full service. I have fitted new grommets, springs, fender washers, p-clip and a new Linn neoprene belt. Fully setup with Linn Troika cartridge.
Lovely sounding table that is beyond the middle rungs of the long Linn LP12 ladder.

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: On the doktors table.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 08:11:58 AM »
 :2thumbs:
Post more ,  become a sticky 😄..
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 09:48:04 AM »
:2thumbs:
Post more ,  become a sticky 😄..

Hehe, I am not sure a sticky would be necessary  :cool:

Of course not everything I do is 'high-end'. I get lots of stuff in that people want me to 'maak 'n plan'... They are happy to just see the bear dance and don't care if the bear sucks at the fandango.

This one came in this week all the way from Upington. The fellow and his lovely wife were here on holiday and took the opportunity to bring their turntable, amplifier and speakers in for a full service.
All the amplifier needed was a good clean both on the inside and the outside. For the speakers we opened them up and fixed one dry joint on the crossover and changed the brittle cables with some new cabling. We also fitted new Din speaker connectors.
The turntable was a bit of a challenge... Everything was great except for the tonearm... The back stub had broken off and the v-blocks were toast...
Since the man was in a bit of a rush, getting v-blocks from the internet was not an option. Plan b. Fit a tonearm from a scrap ADC turntable I had... As you can see from the picture the ADC tonearm is exactly the same as the Linn Basik LVV except it didn't have a nice boss and collar. I managed to modify a collar from a scrap Lenco B52 tonearm to fit the ADC tonearm. The ADC arm also had a broken arm-rest and a broken lifter. Not a problem. Just use the original Lenco L75 lifer and rest... Job done, sorted!
Sounded great!

Offline King_Julian_S

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 12:08:06 PM »
👊🏾👍🏽

Online chrisc

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 12:26:45 PM »
I have this Linn LP12 from Montagu, will bring it to you for its Christmas brush-up.  I doubt its been touched for 25 years

Offline WD

• Formerly Waterhond
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 02:26:13 PM »
Nice!

Like the Lenco arm transplant! :thumbs:

Offline ghostinthemachine

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+12)
    • Dewaudio
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 02:33:29 PM »
What wood is that LP12 plinth made of? It's beautiful.
Let the music speak...

Offline King_Julian_S

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 04:03:45 PM »
What wood is that LP12 plinth made of? It's beautiful.
My all about that , +1...
Just reminded me I must find some exotic hardwood to dress that magnificent 2a3 SET amp Karel build for me...
The wood must match the sound quality .. So that means something special is needed...

Offline Steerpike

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Toybox
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 05:00:25 PM »
Yes. Doktor is spelt wrong  ;)

I was hoping we'd get to see something from/by Doktor Viljoen!

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 07:20:59 AM »
I was hoping we'd get to see something from/by Doktor Viljoen!

Now that would be nice to get in  :teach:  :teach:  :teach:

TW Acustic - Raven AC

On the doktors table. Well OK. This one didn't quite make it to the table. The doktor did a house call  :)
I have had this turntable through here before. it's the Raven AC. This time I went out to install the Raven 10.5 Tonearm.
How does it sound? Probably the best I have ever heard! Don't feed the table 'iffy' vinyl though, with anything other than mint pressings, the turntable is ruthless...

Offline colonel66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 08:17:34 AM »
TW Acustic - Raven AC

On the doktors table. Well OK. This one didn't quite make it to the table. The doktor did a house call  :)
I have had this turntable through here before. it's the Raven AC. This time I went out to install the Raven 10.5 Tonearm.
How does it sound? Probably the best I have ever heard! Don't feed the table 'iffy' vinyl though, with anything other than mint pressings, the turntable is ruthless...

just what the good cape doktor ordered!!!!   :Whoohoo: :Whoohoo: :Whoohoo: :Whoohoo:

thanks  again!

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 11:37:04 AM »
just what the good cape doktor ordered!!!!   :Whoohoo: :Whoohoo: :Whoohoo: :Whoohoo:

thanks  again!

Enjoy  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:

Philips All-In-One record changer/amplifier

On the doktors table: from high-end exotics to vintage. We just finished and tested this Philips valve unit with record changer. There is absolutely no information on the internet about the unit. I suspect it was a Philips South Africa creation as the turntable is a cheap Philips badged BSR unit...
Whatever it's provenance it plays great now  :2thumbs:

Online Aqualung

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • It's all about the music, really...
    • Bokdrolletjies
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 09:31:20 PM »
Brilliant work, JQ!  :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 06:46:24 AM »
Brilliant work, JQ!  :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

hehe. Thanks  :2thumbs:

Michell Engineering Gyro 'SE' with Origin Live OL1 tonearm and now fitted with a Benz Micro Glider SL low output MC cartridge.

On the doktors table or should I rather again say 'on the doktors call out route'  :)
Michell Engineering Gyro 'SE' with Origin Live OL1 tonearm and now fitted with a Benz Micro Glider SL low output MC cartridge.
This deck came to me with Goldring cartridge that had fallen prey to the 'lappie of death'. The cantilever had been mauled by the lappie and was sitting at an acute angle to the cartridge  :'(
The Benz cartridge was sourced here for the client and yesterday I went around with table and cartridge and did a full installation and setup.
How does it sound? Well, this one took me by surprise. I knew it would sound good as all the right ingredients were there but my goodness it sounds better than good. It's a confident and equivocal excellent (and lots of other adjectives)!

A big thanks to Jes for getting the cartridge here chop chop and in one piece and most importantly - exactly as advertised  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:

Offline Tirion

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 07:12:34 AM »
What a gorgeous piece of engineering!