Author Topic: Media server choice and set up  (Read 3923 times)

Offline TimbaLand

Media server choice and set up
« on: November 20, 2015, 07:45:18 AM »
Most of my media is in an HTPC connected to my HT processor via HDMI. I have been using Kodi for playback of both stereo music and movies but I'll now be playing stereo via a preamp (Rotel RC1570) integrated into my HT setup through HT bypass. I need to get a new media server software and connect HTPC to preamp via USB and dedicate kodi to movies through HDMI.

I would like to try squeezebox media server. What plug ins do I need and how do I set it up to use the dac in my preamp? What alothrr intuitive media player softwares do you suggest. It needs to be able to be controlled remotely via an app.

I'll appreciate your advice
Marantz AV8801|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, DB1 and 685|Harman Kardon BDT30|Optoma HD25E projector| Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver

Offline Zealot

Re: Media server choice and set up
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 07:54:56 AM »
Timba

Keep Kodi!

Setup two profiles on Kodi, one for "Movies" and "Hi-Fi"

On the Movies profile you select HDMI as audio out.
On Hi-Fi profile you select analogue/your internal soundcard or USB/optical connected DAC.

I have the same setup and it works like a charm  :thumbs:

Online naughty

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 08:08:21 AM »
so you are still going to use the same HTPC for music as well as movies?

what outputs does that HTPC have ie are you restricted to HDMI and USB or does it have additional outputs?

in terms of the software for music ..... theres plenty and it just depends on which you find more intuitive for yourself and easier to use .... you could stick to the logitech stuff ..... or theres Foobar which is free and if you dont mind paying for software theres Jriver or Roon

Kodi should also work also as Zealot describes below - just had a look at that profiles option and i never looked at it before but it should sort out whatever issues i had previously  :thumbs:

Offline scrarfussi

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 08:23:20 AM »
Timba

Keep Kodi!

On Hi-Fi profile you select analogue/your internal soundcard or USB/optical connected DAC.

That's interesting.
suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Offline Mervin

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 08:26:33 AM »
Just to interject... I have no idea but have heard a few mentioning Plex... I am going to look at that as well.
Behind the cupboard door... Narnia

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 09:42:13 AM »
If your media server is a Windows or Linux pc you should simply be able to install logitechmediaserver and open its web interface via a browser using mediaserverIP:9000 in the address bar. Go through the setup, point it to your music folders, install the localplayer plugin and press play. LMS has a looooooong history of development to do one thing and only one thing well - stream audio. It would simply coexist alongside Kodi.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline TimbaLand

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 09:44:56 AM »
Timba

Keep Kodi!

I would love to do that

so you are still going to use the same HTPC for music as well as movies?

what outputs does that HTPC have ie are you restricted to HDMI and USB or does it have additional outputs?

in terms of the software for music ..... theres plenty and it just depends on which you find more intuitive for yourself and easier to use .... you could stick to the logitech stuff ..... or theres Foobar which is free and if you dont mind paying for software theres Jriver or Roon

Kodi should also work also as Zealot describes below - just had a look at that profiles option and i never looked at it before but it should sort out whatever issues i had previously  :thumbs:

HDMI and USB
Marantz AV8801|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, DB1 and 685|Harman Kardon BDT30|Optoma HD25E projector| Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver

Offline Mistro

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 10:43:28 AM »
Zealot is spot on! Did the same but with JRiver, set up two profiles and you're good to go.
Considering you have Kodi installed and working, don't complicate matters, set up the stereo profile and carry on with life.
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." - Plato
"Music is love, love is music, music is life, and I love my life. Thank you and good night." A.J McLean

Offline BWS

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 11:04:11 AM »
But, but,... You're using B&W speakers? why try to improve your sound without changing those first  :tongue: :tongue:
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline Davidvdw

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 11:14:54 AM »
Aso have 2 profiles on Kodi - one outputting unprocessed multichannel via hdmi the other outputting unprocessed stereo via toslink. Works very well.

Offline TimbaLand

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 11:17:12 AM »
Zealot is spot on! Did the same but with JRiver, set up two profiles and you're good to go.
Considering you have Kodi installed and working, don't complicate matters, set up the stereo profile and carry on with life.

How do I do that. Please explain like you would to a child. I hate IT and mostly because don't understand it

Offline Zealot

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 11:37:10 AM »
How do I do that. Please explain like you would to a child. I hate IT and mostly because don't understand it

Follow this link, seems strait forward.. also instead of creating two new profiles, edit the default one's name and only create one new.

Be sure to enable login screen as this will then prompt you which profile to load at startup :2c:

Make your changes on each profile to your preference IE. background, library source etc.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Profiles

Online naughty

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 11:43:30 AM »

not sure which skin you are using but im sure even the default skin would lead you to the following settings .... im using "Black Glass Nova" (as pointed out by Trompie67) so you might just have a slightly different look to your options but im sure it shouldnt present a problem .... if it does then let me know i will switch off the skin and redo the screenshots with the default skin

first you find the settings section at the home page and under that there are selectable options - scroll those until you reach "profiles"

when you click on profiles it allows you to create profiles as can be seen in the red rectangle here but i have left the master user ie thats Kodi exactly as i have it now - then i created Hi-Fi and Movies ..... while creating the profiles you will be asked if you want to select a new folder and directory - i just told it to "copy default" instead of messing around with new directories

now when you start up Kodi you have an option as to which profile you want to log into - you can go into Hi-Fi and under settings adjust your audio settings for your digital bitstreaming output to go to your DAC ..... then go back to Quit but instead of Quitting you can log out and log back in under the movie profile and adjust your bitstreaming output to be your HTPC graphics card (WASAPI) .... or whatever you want to use

what you see when you start Kodi .... just click on one of those profiles and you are good to go

EDIT : Zealot replied before i did - the link shows everything in the default skin .... should be pretty easy to follow ie i managed without looking at that Wiki page .... and if i can do it then anyone can  ;)

« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 11:46:16 AM by naughty »

Offline xrapidx

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 12:16:06 PM »
ooo...thats pretty.

Offline scrarfussi

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 12:38:28 PM »
If your media server is a Windows or Linux pc you should simply be able to install logitechmediaserver and open its web interface via a browser using mediaserverIP:9000 in the address bar. Go through the setup, point it to your music folders, install the localplayer plugin and press play. LMS has a looooooong history of development to do one thing and only one thing well - stream audio. It would simply coexist alongside Kodi.

It's actually not as simple as that.
Local player plugin is installed.
How do you select the dac?
No setting I tried . Nearly threw the  Damn computer out the window.
suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."