Replacing on/off bulb on Pioneer Sa-6500 Mk2

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1200GXman

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all
Ok, Im in the process to try and replace the bulb that indicates the amp is switched on/off. Original bulb is a 8v 50mA bulb that is currently blown. Probably due to age. I have tinkered with replacing this bulb with a LED and talked to some technicians who gave me the following details.
They suggested that I need to use a 220ohm resistor to bring down the power to the low consumption LED bulb and also a 470 uF cap that is put across the + and - wire.
The cap is soldered with the - side on the clean wire and the + side is on the resistor's wire. Cap is soldered BEFORE the resistor and the LED is then the last item on the wires. Last night I tested on the amp and no light is coming from the LED.
This morning I tested on one of those transformers that has the adjustment slider where you can adjust the volts that you want from it. I put it on 9v and after 10 seconds the cap popped like a small cracker. I am very new to this cap and transistor electronic world although I am a IT technician as a day job. Please can anyone educate me and also maybe help me with what went wrong?

Latest posts