Samsung DTS NEO2:5 & PVR noise emmited when changing channels fix

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ger

Reaction score
I don't know if the remedy here is only applicable to older receivers and if my decoder might be faulty as I never recall having this issue particular issue with previous avrs. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable can provide some information to the causes etc.

Equipment setup:

PVR to Samsung 51" Plasma TV via hdmi
PVR to ONKYO TX-DS898 Integra (non hdmi) receiver via optical and coaxial connections. 

Problem: Noise emitted through speakers when changing channels containing different sound formats, PCM to DD - The noise is present when using both types digital connections. Changing from a channel to another containing the same broadcasting mode/sound wasn't a problem - PCM to PCM or DD to DD was fine.

To stop the annoying noise being emittted when changing channels I changed the connections as follow:

PVR to Samsung 51" Plasma TV via hdmi - unchanged.
Samsung Plasma TV to the ONKYO avr via optical connection. - Connecting the AVR straight to the Samsung TV solved the problem of the annoying sound emitted while changing channels.
I further discovered an improvement in sound quality in my setup when I changed the TV's sound output from PCM to DTS NEO 2:5. The avr now displays DTS (3/2.1) all the time as input signal. To me the sound across all channels sound better than before when the avr reverted to Dolby Prologic 11 on the PCM output.

I understand the DTS NEO surround format is not discreet DTS, but is still an improvement over Dolby Prologic 11 to me (the rest of the household don't know any better anyways). Best of all, the family and dog don't have to cringe and jump when I change channels.