Author Topic: Great ADSL packages ?  (Read 669 times)

Offline AudioD

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
Great ADSL packages ?
« on: November 07, 2015, 05:58:55 AM »
Hi

What are the current great adsl packages out there?

Regards,
Donovan

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Great ADSL packages ?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 08:41:54 AM »
I am currently very happy with Vox FatPipe. I'd recommend to steer away from Afrihost, Axxess and Web Africa. Telkom ISP is also not a bad choice if their packages suit your usage patterns.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 09:27:11 AM »
What's wrong with Afrihost?  Been using them for over a year on a capped package and enjoy 24/7 unshaped speed and uninterrupted service.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 09:46:58 AM »
Axxess offer a bundle where they also discount the Telkom line fee - it is about R50,00 off the monthly price.  At present I am on a 4mb 100Gb capped service for R465,00 a month which I have been using since 2008 without any problem.  I'd like to upgrade to 10mb but there is doubt that the line supports it.  Brother in law is an Afrihost fan and is completely satisfied with them

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 10:22:05 AM »
What's wrong with Afrihost?  Been using them for over a year on a capped package and enjoy 24/7 unshaped speed and uninterrupted service.

International content latency, jitter and speed has been an issue since they moved off the IS network as has packet loss from time to time. Their reliability was terrible from my POV on capped.

Online WELIHF

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 10:30:03 AM »
Apparently Afrihost is moving away from MTN now which should sort out the latency issues

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 11:15:35 AM »
The move has been made. I have been on the Afrigreen network for a few months already. MTN was never a success.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 11:36:46 AM »
I dumped Afrihost shortly after they were bought out & moved to MTN. Speeds were abysmal - which I knew would get sorted out eventually, just annoying whilst it's slow.
However, when their server that was hosting 4 of my sites went offline & it took them 9 days to acknowledge that there was a problem, and then another week to sort it out - all the while claiming "99%" uptime, I got the zigs and moved.

Been with Webafrica ever since, very happy with their Capped ADSL - R399 for 2ooGb daytime data & 1000Gb midnight to 06h00 data. DL speeds are constant 24/7 at around 15Mb/s on a 20Mb/s line.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*