Author Topic: My Local set-up  (Read 3046 times)

Offline PottieP

My Local set-up
« on: October 27, 2015, 01:53:26 PM »
I have decided I want to invest my cash monies in Local rather than international equipment.

So here goes with my Local is Lekker and very nice set-up:

Amp:                                                         Valve Audio Predator (Originally a Epsilon that Oom Schalk upgraded to the Predator)
Speakers (Soon to be)                                 Sonor Audio Claro's 8.2 (My xmas present to myself)
                                                                 I did have a set of Sonor Audio Vegas that I donated to Tom a while back.
                                                                 There is another option, but the cash monies is a bit short for that option at the moment.
Speaker Cables:                                         Proudly built by DIY Guru JimCore aka Ian
Interconnects between Amp and CDP:          Proudly built by Oom Schalk the Valve Wizzard

The closes I could get to a Local is Lekker CDP is a Marantz SACD 7001 KI.  I bought this puppy on this forum.

One day when I am gig, I am going to find one of those elusive Vivere DAC's to bring my set-up into the 21st century.  I am still enjoying flipping through the CD's to much at the moment.

So, who's next?

Andre
In Rock we trust
Waste money not time

Offline naughty

Re: My Local set-up
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 10:24:19 PM »
I am still enjoying flipping through the CD's to much at the moment.

while the CDs are comparatively new this is fine ..... but a lot of my CDs have become mildewed and have deteriorated .... so i have digitized my entire collection and im no longer using the discs ie im trying to preserve them for as long as possible .... so rip the discs to FLAC and store them in a place that will keep them safe for longer

So, who's next?

definitely look for that Vivere, and as a playback source with a theme of keeping it local, buy the parts to build your own custom PC to playback your digitized files ie it will be made of parts manufactured overseas but assembled locally ..... ie by yourself  :thumbs:

Andre

Offline PottieP

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 07:50:06 AM »
It seems I have some reading up to do on digitising my music.

Let the games begin. :groovy:
In Rock we trust
Waste money not time

Offline naughty

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 08:10:27 AM »
It seems I have some reading up to do on digitising my music.

Let the games begin. :groovy:

its easy enough ..... get a big hard drive .... start copying your cds in a convenient format .... FLAC seems good enough ie it allows for tagging as well as embedding of covert and its lossless

then tag all the files using mp3tag and get the coverart using album art downloader or let your ripping software do all this for you

play it from your computer into a DAC - and it should give you as much enjoyment as your cd player ;)

Offline PottieP

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 10:03:06 AM »
I am back in SA (Going back to Bots tomorrow :headbanger:).

I picked up my Claro 8.2's on Friday. 
These are the biggest speakers I have ever seen, let alone owned.

I wish I had more time with these gentle giants.  The midrange is crystal clear and detailed.  It is a bit shy on bass at the moment, I hope it will find more bass as they play in.

The little time I had with the speakers was spent with a combination of amazement and smiles on my face.

Will post some picks ASAP.

Andre
In Rock we trust
Waste money not time

Offline PottieP

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 05:10:04 PM »
HI,

do anyone have any advise on how to run in my Claro's.

Thanks,

Andre
In Rock we trust
Waste money not time

Offline xumbug

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 05:56:47 PM »
Just play the bloody things :whistler:
SDA Acoustics loudspeakers, Audio Research Ref 3 Pre amp and Ref 210 power amps, Bel Canto VB3.5 Dac, Pathos Endorphin cd player, squeeze box touch.

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Music lover and involved in industry
    • Airmusic
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 04:38:40 PM »
I agree with xumbug André, play music through them. If you really want to fast track the process you could reverse the one speakers electrical phase, push the speakers close so that the fronts almost touch, cover them with a thick duvet and turn up the volume. The cancelation between the units should make the sound bearable and you could play them none stop throughout the night. I used to do it, but now I just sit back and enjoy the journey and don't fuss too much about the change in sound. :)
The suspensions of the drivers should change and settle to their designed parameters in the first 24 hours(could mean a slight lowering of the fs of units and more bass for example) and then most of the improvements thereafter will be incremental from that point onwards. I don't dispute burn in, but it is seldom chalk and cheese in my experience.
cheers

Offline Atjan

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 09:23:16 PM »
Very nice set-up André!

Wrt the burn-in and considering you won't be able to do it while away in Bots. I'll offer my services, foc, to perform the tedious task for you so you don't have to spend angst filled hours wondering if what you like about your speakers will disappear with the burn-in. When you get back, it will be completely sorted. Pwomiss.

;D
It's only hifi people....

Offline PottieP

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 03:30:43 PM »
Atjan,

thanks for offering your services...

Can't wait for December break.  It is going to be me and the music and music and me.

The wife and kids are welcome to join...
In Rock we trust
Waste money not time

Offline Rhino

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 03:34:23 PM »
Pics please
Polk Audio Tsi500 - Fronts, Tsi200 - Bookshelf, Tsi100 - Front Height,  Cs10 - Centre, Integra DTR 50.5 AV Receiver,Sony BDP-S370 Blu-Ray, LG 3D Blu-Ray, Energy Veritas 10" Sub, Clavel 3 Way speaker

Offline PottieP

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 03:41:28 PM »
I will post some pics when I am back in December.

These speakers are a thing of beauty.
In Rock we trust
Waste money not time