Author Topic: Foobar made very easy  (Read 21120 times)

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Foobar made very easy
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2015, 05:18:27 PM »
One thing I miss from the default is that I used to be have a tree that listed genres and under genres composer and under that album, all opened in on panel with a search box under it. Possible?

im not sure you can do it exactly like that - but if you are using the Darkone skin - the left hand side panel has a Genre list .... double clicking on a genre will open up all the albums in that genre on the right hand side column - so you can scroll there to find all those albums and clicking on an album opens up the track listing of that particular album

then for the search function you can then look at the available tabs on the bottom of the right hand side column and theres a section called "find"

so all the same functionality you had is there but just in a different form from what you are used to ..... i dont think that it will take long to get used to the way the skin works but im sure you can get all the functionality you used to have in the previous version of the program .... its just a matter of getting used to the new format of it  ;)

Offline naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2015, 03:51:59 PM »
another color on the xch4nge skin .... playing with the color and making it totally custom is hugely fun  :dance:  :thumbs:

im enjoying changing the color everyday  ;)

Offline valvesound

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Audio designs creating exceptional character
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2015, 05:02:48 PM »
Hi naughty...regarding the remote app.
Can I run two different remote apps, not at the same time but either from different portable devices?
I currently have foobar controlled by monkeymote from my iPhone but would also like to control it from an Android tablet using foobarcontroller for example.
Can both (different) PC side of the remote installations be installed in foobar and then which ever 'remote' is connected to the wifi network then take the control?
I hope I managed to explain this well enough or is it clear as mud? :roll:
One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds - Frank Zappa

Offline naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2015, 05:17:30 PM »
Hi naughty...regarding the remote app.
Can I run two different remote apps, not at the same time but either from different portable devices?
I currently have foobar controlled by monkeymote from my iPhone but would also like to control it from an Android tablet using foobarcontroller for example.
Can both (different) PC side of the remote installations be installed in foobar and then which ever 'remote' is connected to the wifi network then take the control?
I hope I managed to explain this well enough or is it clear as mud? :roll:

that should by all rights absolutely work - as long as you have the correct IP address pointed to in the remote - you can use whichever remote controller app on whichever device you wish to use ie even if they both use the same HTTP_CONTROL component in Foobar - As far as i know ... the control settings are contained in the app on the device being used as the remote  ;)

you can try it out easily ie since you already have monkeymote on your phone and i assume you have a android device - just install the free version of of the android app to try it out - and then keep changing between remotes .... i reckon it should work

sorry i dont have an iphone or any form of idevice so i cant really test it out to let you know for sure but i think that it should work

Offline valvesound

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Audio designs creating exceptional character
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2015, 12:04:45 PM »
thanks will give it a try. I actually started off with the android foobar2000controller app but then battled with the setup on the pc side so then installed the monkeymote which was easy and self explanatory to do.

I really like the monkeymote app and its UI and it works extremely well with full access to the full music library and all the functionality that one would need. Would like to compare it to the android controller and see.  I dont have an ipad, only a samsung tab otherwise I would have been happy to stick with that.
One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds - Frank Zappa

Offline Nikkel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2015, 04:06:52 PM »
Took all the steps for a spin today and all I can say is AWESOME! @naughty Thank you very much sire :notworthy:

Now just to configure the kids' tablets with the app :thumbs:

On a side note... Still love JRiver but its nice explore the unknown :whistler:

Offline naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2015, 01:30:06 AM »
Took all the steps for a spin today and all I can say is AWESOME! @naughty Thank you very much sire :notworthy:

Now just to configure the kids' tablets with the app :thumbs:

On a side note... Still love JRiver but its nice explore the unknown :whistler:

No stress ..... glad it helped ..... the skins definitely made it more more fun to use as far as i was concerned so if it does that for others then its great   :thumbs:  :dance:

Offline naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2015, 06:11:25 PM »
okay for the guys using the Darkone skin - here is some more info on that ghosting image panel on the right ie you can make the actual coverart be the image without needing to add more artist.jpg images to the folder ie if you used album art downloader and downloaded the coverart it should still be saved in your folder and will be called Folder.jpg

in this instance what you need to do is the following

right click again inbetween the upper and lower centre panels till you see the following text balloon and click on splitter settings

you will then see the following window 

leave view panel selected and click on the script tab - as in the red rectangular highlight below

in the script you see the bits where it says artist.jpg as in the oval highlights ..... this yant ot modify by deleting the word artist and you want to replace in the word Folder in the two locations highligted by the red ovals ..... like this

click on okay and then close Foobar and reopen - when you then play your files this is how it looks

if you then use those vertical bars in the corner as highlighted by the red rectangles in the top right corner below you can also make it look like this

or this

or this

this modification is only if you dont wish to now go back to each folder to add an artist.jpg image and wish to use the coverart as the ghosting image .... just to add to the fun of making it look different or interesting

Offline naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2015, 06:20:31 PM »
than as i pointed out somewhere else in the forum you can also modify the look of the library selection panel on the left hand side ie you can click inbetween the panels till the up and down arrow appears and you can drag and drop these panels till they disappear

this is to show that they move

you can also completely block any panel you like for example the genre and artist panels completely blocked and only the album panel visible

here the genres are visible as well as the albums but the artists are hidden

or if you want a totally different view with the artists and albums in alphabetical order on one line then look at the bottom left and above the LIB tab there are two different buttons labeled AL and FIL - click on th AL one and then the panel becomes modded to look like this

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 09:31:49 PM by Family_Dog »

Offline naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2015, 06:57:14 PM »
elsewhere we were talking about parametric EQ in Foobar ..... you can do this by adding VST plug-ins using a VST wrapper (VST component for Foobar)

first i added the following .... which is a VST adapter

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Components/VST_adapter

then i found this thread and i added the George Yohng VST wrapper

https://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=59206

so im not sure which plug-in caused this but when Foobar opens this is what you see

at this point i closed Foobar and downloaded a parametric EQ called Easy Q and unzipped this

heres the link

http://www.rs-met.com/freebies.html

then i reopened Foobar and when the above screen reappeared i went to the third option ie VST setup and you then point to that EasyQ folder ie wherever it is located

then you close Foobar and reopen and now in the first option ie USE VST EFFECT you select that easyQ option

this then opens up the easyQ equaliser

just above the graph there is a section where you can load or select the factory presets - load is highlighted in red

clicking on load opens the following selection window

heres an example of a factory preset that i just opened

if you wish to manually create your own preset adjusted to your measurements then click on an empty graph point without having any presets loaded and parameters appear on the right hand side that you can adjust ..... for example here i have begun by clicking on creating a peak at 125hz

now you can select whatever frequencies you like or adjust these on the right had side and then you can increase the width of the effect or narrow it etc ..... you are only going to be limited by your understanding of parametric EQ .... im not going to add much detail on that here (i have a more than fair idea and im still experimenting ..... remember im doing all of this on my experimental install and not my final setup  ;) .... so it doesnt affect my final setup till im ready to do so and this is why its best to have multiple portable Foobar installs ie one for each skin and one for experimenting with)

so basically the above just explains how to add parametric EQ to Foobar if you want it ..... it should work with additional VST models of parametric so you can go as easy or advanced as you wish .... EasyQ is IMHO a nice easy beginning point to learn how to dabble in Parametric EQ

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 07:02:31 PM by naughty »

Offline Nikkel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2015, 09:31:37 PM »
This is becoming like an series now :rubhands:...an episode a week :clap: great stuff @naughty  :2thumbs:

Offline naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2015, 09:40:34 PM »
as i find any interesting mods to add i will keep doing so ..... hopefully it will add value and a fun factor to using the proggie  :thumbs:

Offline naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2015, 03:36:06 AM »
this yant ot modify

LOL .... WTF was my keyboard trying to say while that rechargeable battery was busy running out

okay its charged now and hopefully its not going to say anymore slurred words

that was supposed to be :

"this you want to modify as"

Offline Prince

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2015, 11:45:54 AM »
 :cool:

-This is a very cool tutorial/guide on Foobar. I used it a couple of times, but struggled with the customisation and the skins really erked me crashing all the time. So, I went from Winamp, back in the day to Aimp Player and have stayed with it, with a small Foobar stint. Its way more user friendly than Foobar, with the type of Skins that I like and easy customisations included.
But, please, this is only my opinion, take nothing away from Foobar, its one of the best Free Music Players out there.

Now, if only all portable media players could support the latest digital coded files, such as flac and dsd etc. Flac has already made it onto the Smart phone and a few high-end media players.

With Naughty's enthusiasm for Foobar, it might just spur me on again to try it!

:clap: :clap:
"F5 Amp Power + Pedal Power = F5 Pedal Power"

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2015, 11:54:20 AM »

Now, if only all portable media players could support the latest digital coded files, such as flac and dsd etc. Flac has already made it onto the Smart phone and a few high-end media players.

:clap: :clap:

Fiio X5 is what you want, and it's not exactly high-end
Whoever originally coined the word 'Lisp' and put an 'S' in it's spelling, is a Douchebag !!