Author Topic: Foobar made very easy  (Read 17712 times)

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
Re: Foobar made very easy
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 02:43:06 PM »
Admin make it stick please :groovy:

I'll move and sticky it to the Tutorials section soon once its had some air-play here in General
Whoever originally coined the word 'Lisp' and put an 'S' in it's spelling, is a Douchebag !!

Offline valvesound

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Audio designs creating exceptional character
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »
I've got it setup with the skin....very nice indeed. I looove foobar again  :winkwink:
One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds - Frank Zappa

Online naughty

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 02:53:47 PM »
I've got it setup with the skin....very nice indeed. I looove foobar again  :winkwink:

see that was easy ..... right  ;) not at all difficult to do IMHO

you managed to do it pretty quickly too :thumbs:

now start getting and installing the WASAPI and ASIO components so you can set up the program to work via HDMI or USB or any other digital output port

the other skin that i like is

xch4nge by Brett on deviant art

http://br3tt.deviantart.com/art/Xch4nge-216397917

its slightly different but not difficult to figure out how to install once you are familiar with the program  ;)

and it is highly modifiable and has a high level of customization - very powerful once you get the hang of it - im still playing around with customizing it before i start using it but i have this one installed in all my machines too  ;)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 03:01:36 PM by naughty »

Online Rodney_gold

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 02:55:47 PM »
I will give it all a bash
Roon/tidal > SBT>DIRAC ddrc 22 > 2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1's ..fully treated room

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 02:57:42 PM »
I will give it all a bash

And when you are all finished, I'll post an equivalent Kodi tutorial  :point:
Whoever originally coined the word 'Lisp' and put an 'S' in it's spelling, is a Douchebag !!

Offline valvesound

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 04:38:43 PM »
see that was easy ..... right  ;) not at all difficult to do IMHO

anything is easy once you know how. :P

now start getting and installing the WASAPI and ASIO components so you can set up the program to work via HDMI or USB or any other digital output port

can't it stream through USB to external DAC as it is now? (i'm using internal soundcard and earphones at the moment so havent tried)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 04:42:37 PM by valvesound »
One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds - Frank Zappa

Online naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2015, 07:20:55 PM »
can't it stream through USB to external DAC as it is now? (i'm using internal soundcard and earphones at the moment so havent tried)

it can work but if you use those driver components it is guaranteed to be bit perfect output - if you use the default drivers then it isnt bypassing the windows audio drivers and you are not getting the best possible sound output

so if you wish to use it for USB or any digital audio output then i would use either WASAPI or ASIO .... rumour has it that ASIO is better but i have tried both and they are pretty similar - i use ASIO because it is the only thing that allows you to make use of the DSD output in conjunction with the SACD component for DSD playback   

Online naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 12:47:12 AM »
heres another cool thing i found out about on the skin ie when i went to the skin download site today i saw that the WSH panel mod component puts in a JPG image of the artist in the background of the right hand track title panel if you are using the ELP view instead of the NGP view that i normally use

for this to work what you need is to have a different picture from the coverart of the artist .... preferably black and white so it doesnt clash too much with the text and you have to place this in the same directory (folder) as the particular album and rename it to artist.jpg

and this is what it looks like with the coverart being the album cover and another picture of the artists ghosting in the background behind the track listings

you can change the number of columns you display by using the bars on the top right - the first one shows all three columns - the second one takes away the left column and the third on takes away the centre column and so on - just hover the mouse on the bars to see which one you wish to display (you may need to scroll this pic to the right to see the top right part that is encircled because the forum doesnt show the entire pic or resize so theres a bar at the bottom of this post that you can scroll left and right till you see the red rectangle in the pic)

then to adjust how that picture looks you right click on the area inbetween the panels just above the time display and under the word ELP or NGP - and select splitter settings (the mouse cursor arrow doesnt show up in the picture but its at the far left of the selection bubble)

then go to the script tab as shown in the red rectangle - and look for the bit in the red oval .... that number is 32 by default but you can adjust the number to adjust the transparency of the picture between 0 and 255 ie you can make it more prominent (not recommended because then the skin looks too busy) or you can make it lighter so its faded into the background  :thumbs: .... obviously the higher numbers make it darker and the lower numbers make it lighter

so you adjust that number to what you want and then click on apply and then OK and you have that ghosted floating image in the background in that ELP column  :thumbs:

« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:54:10 AM by naughty »

Offline valvesound

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 08:31:39 AM »

I installed WASAPI as ASIO had to many warnings in the documentation for my liking.

Online naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2015, 09:13:29 PM »

I installed WASAPI as ASIO had to many warnings in the documentation for my liking.

its a start  :thumbs: ..... you will only need ASIO as an essential if you start to get DSD files in which case you then need to install the SACD plug-in as well as the relevant ASIO drivers that work with your DAC so for now WASAPI is good enough to get a bit perfect digital output via USB or HDMI when required

i initially started off with WASAPI and was outputting to my AVR via HDMI cable and it sounded pretty good, until later Joel and Achim gave me a uDSD at the early bird prices, which is when i started using a DAC and ASIO drivers - the DAC made a fair amount of difference to the sound quality ie it sounded closer to a dedicated stereo only hi-fi in stereo mode than it did while outputting via HDMI  :thumbs: (but thats a story for another thread)

Offline Davidvdw

• AVForums Veteran
  • Art destroys silence.
    • Shutterpsych
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2015, 03:11:11 PM »
Great setup guide - skin improves Foobar's usability and appeal hugely. Thank you  :2thumbs:

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2015, 03:55:11 PM »
Skins don't work on Macs it seems.  The Apple Core audio provides very good sound though

Online naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2015, 04:34:42 PM »
okay guys i was playing around with xch4nge - its a better skin and if you were able to install the Darkone skin above then Xch4nge is pretty decent to play around with and you can configure it a lot more - for example here is one of the original layouts i played around with in xch4nge

then i realized that they do not show you how to install the missing fonts in the instructions that they provide ..... what you have to do is to download the fonts that they link to at the deviant art page for the skin and then unzip those fonts and copy and paste those into your windows fonts folder .... then instead of numbers on those buttons at the bottom left it gives you the function buttons like play/pause and stop

then i also played around with background colors and font sizes etc so the skin now looks like this :

so with this skin you can play around with the panel layout ie create as many or as few panels as you like or you can have 5 layouts with as many or as few panels as you need and keep switching between layouts and you can make each one a different color too i esee below i made the blue into a burgundy shade of red

you can select a layout to configure by clicking on the button with an arrow facing upward

then you start creating panels by using those buttons with vertical and horizontal bars depicted in the blue squares in this pic - you can move your mouse cursor onto the line of the panel created and you can adjust its size by dragging and dropping when it gets highlighted - the horizontal buttons obviously create horizontal panels while the vertical buttons obviously create vertical panels .... the slanted arrow facing upward will highlight a single panel while clicking on the downward arrow on the single panel will get you back to the original layout .... and you can use those dots on the left to move the panels around ie click on those dots in two panels and then hit enter on your keyboard and those panels will interchange locations

then you can rightclick inside the panel and add whatever functionality you wish to appear inside the panel

this skin allows you to do so much more ..... but you need to get used to configuring it before you can use it effectively ..... if anyone likes i can also do a bit of a guide as to how to install this skin too .... but if you do a google search there is a youtube video on how start  configuring the skin on first launch and how to configure SHPECK (winamp visualization) .... heres a link to that video and the when you  unzip the install there is a guide on installation contained in the zip file so i dont think i need to explain too much more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHGzN5xvrw8

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 04:40:49 PM by naughty »

Online naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2015, 04:47:31 PM »
Great setup guide - skin improves Foobar's usability and appeal hugely. Thank you  :2thumbs:

glad it helps .... Foobar is a good proggie and adding these skins actually makes it far more user friendly - its just that you have to do the initial setup and then it becomes so much more easy to use  :thumbs:

ive installed it for some friends where after me doing the setup for them, their 10 year old kids could easily use the proggie and control it with their phones  ;)

Offline Davidvdw

• AVForums Veteran
  • Art destroys silence.
    • Shutterpsych
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2015, 03:31:05 PM »
One thing I miss from the default is that I used to be have a tree that listed genres and under genres composer and under that album, all opened in on panel with a search box under it. Possible?