Author Topic: Foobar made very easy  (Read 21076 times)

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
Foobar made very easy
« on: October 26, 2015, 12:20:54 PM »
it seems like many people are having problems with Foobar - here is a step by step guide to installing Foobar and getting a skin onto it to unleash the power of the app

start by downloading the latest stable version - dont bother with the beta versions just yet

https://www.foobar2000.org/download

then you can download the Darkone v4 skin here - look for the bit encircled in the red oval on the link as demonstrated in the pic

http://tedgo.deviantart.com/art/DarkOne-v4-360862076

so far we have the app and the skin downloaded so now you are ready to install the app ..... so its easy enough to install the app - just double click on the EXE file and follow the prompts but just look for one step as you progress ie you reach a page where it asks you if you want a standard install or portable install .... now you select portable install

this then installs the app on your desktop instead of in "program files" we will come back to this later and why we do it .... in the meantime for the purposes of this guide i have named the current installation "demo install"

now you go back to where you have downloaded the skin .... and use winzip or 7 zip to extract the file and you land up with a TXT file and a .bck file

you want to rename the extension of that bck file to .exe .... ignore the warnings and do the rename .... then you double click on the exe file to start the skin install ..... it will then prompt you to browse the directory to save ..... remember that you have it saved on the desktop now so select that directory and then follow the prompts to complete installing the skin

now you are ready to open up Foobar .... so you go back to the desktop and open the folder and double click on Foobar2000.exe and it shows you this screen

select columns.ui and click on OK and it opens Foobar which still looks standard since you havent imported the skin yet .... so click on the File tab on the top and go to preferences ..... once in preferences you see a bunch of menu items on the left hand side, you double click on the word DISPLAY and then this opens up sub menus and then you double click on the Columns UI sub-menu to reach the below screen

staying in the main subsection you then look at the extreme right and find FCL importing and exporting - now you click on import

continued in next post

Offline naughty

• AVForums Veteran
Re: Foobar made very easy
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 12:42:14 PM »
continued from previous post

now it will ask you where you want to import from ..... so you browse over to point to the desktop and then your foobar2000 install and click on open

then browse over to the THEMES folder and open that

in the Themes folder you will find a Darkone v4.0 folder - open that and select the Darkone v4.0FCL file and click on open

it then takes you to this page below - just leave everything ticked and click on OK

you are now done and the skin is installed - so browse to your desktop again and open the Foobar demo install folder (or whatever you named it), then you right click on the foobar2000.exe file and then click on "save to taskbar" now you can open foobar from the taskbar

the first time you open foobar you want to look for the menu button ..... its located on the bottom left - and from there you browse over to => file => preferences

now double click on the "media Library" menu and add your music library from wherever your music files are stored

first it will show up as "initialising" as it scans your folders .... but as the folders are scanned it will then show as "monitoring" at which stage you are now ready to play your music

continued in next post

Offline naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 01:08:38 PM »
continued from previous post

here are some screenshots of my Foobar install .... note you need the music files tagged and the coverart embedded for it to continually display like this

library

Lyrics plugin

Biography plugin

Tag info

spectrum meter add-on

the more you play with the skin the easier it becomes ie for example you can adjust text size by going to preferences and double clicking on Display => columns UI => colors and fonts

you can add components by downloading the components from the Foobar repository and unzipping them and then from preferences => components you can add the unzipped components ie there are lots of plugins to try ie like a 32 band 1/3rd octave equaliser and various DSP plug-ins etc .... my favourite is the android HTTP control for remote control via wi-fi

android remote control over wi-fi - android tablet on the bottom of the screen

hopefully this has made it easy for anyone to install and use Foobar .... i think that once you play around with it and get the hang of it then its going to be one of the most fun apps you can use for your music

all i can add now is ..... enjoy  ;)

Offline naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 01:35:31 PM »
in terms of the remote control app - this is the one you want

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cav.foobar2000controller

the free version handles 2 IP addresses .... the paid version in Google play costs R13-35 and gives you unlimited IP addresses

i have set up system for friends where i have each machine having a fixed IP address and then they can set up as many remote servers as they like in the app

follow this guide to setup the PC

http://foobar2000controller.blogspot.com.es/p/how-to-start.html

install the app on your android device (phone or tablet) and set it up (mainly entails giving the PC a name and entering the IP address) .... its all pretty easy to setup

just remember that the app is the one in the playstore by Sergi Mola

the app installed and showing the selected playlist

swipe it sideways and the next page shows the coverart of the selected album and gives you the control features including volume control on the bottom right

swipe it sideways again and it gives you the entire library in the form of artist selections .... swipe again and it gives you network selection .... so you can do everything except adjust your file preference settings using the app

Offline valvesound

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Audio designs creating exceptional character
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 01:38:54 PM »
 :notworthy: :2thumbs: :dop:
One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds - Frank Zappa

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 01:40:22 PM »
Very very nice tutorial naughty, thanks!  :thumbs:

I've made the move from foobar to KODI at home but still use foobar at work, so will be trying this on out.
Whoever originally coined the word 'Lisp' and put an 'S' in it's spelling, is a Douchebag !!

Offline naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 01:44:29 PM »
one last thing i forgot to mention ie why the portable install ..... well you can now just copy that entire folder over to a flash drive and put it on the desktop of any PC and you dont need to bother reinstalling ..... just delete the library and point to the new library but you have Foobar with all of your original settings

you can even copy that folder over to friends PCs and you dont need to do the install completely ie it will just work as yours is configured so you can have loads of identical installs all over your network or all your PC's ..... just remember to adjust the library settings and Bobs your aunty's husband  ;)

Offline BWS

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 01:51:16 PM »
one last thing i forgot to mention ie why the portable install ..... well you can now just copy that entire folder over to a flash drive and put it on the desktop of any PC and you dont need to bother reinstalling ..... just delete the library and point to the new library but you have Foobar with all of your original settings

you can even copy that folder over to friends PCs and you dont need to do the install completely ie it will just work as yours is configured so you can have loads of identical installs all over your network or all your PC's ..... just remember to adjust the library settings and Bobs your aunty's husband  ;)

So why don't you copy that to your Dropbox account and share the link here  :teach:  :ROFLMAO: save us all the effort :BWAHAHAH:
Whoever originally coined the word 'Lisp' and put an 'S' in it's spelling, is a Douchebag !!

Offline naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 02:02:44 PM »
So why don't you copy that to your Dropbox account and share the link here  :teach:  :ROFLMAO: save us all the effort :BWAHAHAH:

i dont have a dropbox account .... would have been glad to share my install with everything installed .... with the library removed its 55mb

if someone has a dropbox account that they dont mind using then i can post the install to them on CD and they can upload and share it but IMHO its better to do the install at least once so your familiarize yourself with the program so you can trouble shoot if things go haywire  :nfi: and there are times when they can go pear shaped ie for example if you use a uDSD then you have to reinstall the required ASIO components (asioproxyinstall 0.83) into the install as well as the uDSD drivers into your individual PC still only two things to do though just to add a uDSD ..... otherwise my install has most of the components most people would need including the HTTP_control component for the android remote ..... so all you need to do for the remote is to download and install the android part of it to your phone or tablet and set it up following the prompts

Offline BWS

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 02:11:14 PM »
I am more than willing to do the install myself, its a whole lot simpler that the mods I did to foobar 8 odd years ago. Back then I don't think a portable install was an option back then and I lost all my custom settings and UI etc so just thought fuggit, go with the default for a while :point:

Offline naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 02:13:42 PM »
I am more than willing to do the install myself, its a whole lot simpler that the mods I did to foobar 8 odd years ago. Back then I don't think a portable install was an option back then and I lost all my custom settings and UI etc so just thought fuggit, go with the default for a while :point:

the skin will work with a standard install as well ..... the idea behind the portable install is that you can spread that one install to all your PC's

and yep the new Foobar is pretty easy once you get the hang of it .... the guys moaning about it are probablymissing the one step about double clicking on menu items leading to additional sub-menus - and you can double click on a lot of those additional sub-menus to deeper into settings as well
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 02:15:46 PM by naughty »

Offline Rodney_gold

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 02:28:47 PM »
Wonderful write ups and top tips here.. but it doesn't look "easy" ... ;)
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> 2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline BWS

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 02:32:51 PM »

I doubt it's more difficult than getting a Kodi install up and running with a few mods, in fact it looks a lot easier. I know some people battle with the way Kodi handles Sources and add-ons but once you've done it once or twice it becomes very easy.

Offline naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 02:40:20 PM »

trust me once you do it ..... then it becomes very easy .... then its only a matter of playing around with it to familiarize yourself with how it works .... and if i could figure it out then it will be a matter of  " :facepalm:  Damn how did i really miss that" for most people

theres no coding or scripting skills required .... its all just a matter of being able to use a mouse and keyboard  ;)

and yep Kodi is way easier than this ..... its all just basics once you skin it  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 02:45:03 PM by naughty »

Offline Nikkel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 02:41:10 PM »
Admin make it stick please :groovy: