Author Topic: Importing Direct? | The SARS Customs & Excise Tariffs | The Duties You'll Pay  (Read 21622 times)

Offline gavinbirss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
Not sure if anybody has experienced the change in recent months for imported CD's?

Over many years I have bought 50+ CD's at various times from eBay and Amazon UK.  These used to get delivered to the house mailbox. No charges were ever levied.  Recently each CD is being levied with a R24 charge when I collect at my local Post Office in Rondebosch.  Is this a symptom of the revenue shortfall and tougher/stricter SARS collections?

Has anybody else had to start paying recently?  Is R24 the correct charge?

I once bought a Meridian DAC used from Australia. It was delivered to my door on a Saturday by the post office - no charges were levied.

Roddy

The customs inspection fee is a standard fee, perhaps mostly due to the increase in postal items from sources such as "wish".

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Up until now you have just been lucky.  Anything with a commercial value is eligible for Customs evaluation and the evaluation carries a fee.  Typically at least import vat is levied as well. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za