Author Topic: Importing Direct? | The SARS Customs & Excise Tariffs | The Duties You'll Pay  (Read 21581 times)

Offline Frank007301

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
Any idea what the duties are on second hand audio equipment being imported?
And if there is VAT payable?

Yes you have to pay VAT and you need an ITAC permit for second hand goods.
B&W CM9's, CMC2, 4x  686's|2x M&K M4T Atmos|Marantz SR6011|Oppo UDP 203|Rotel RB1080|2xSVS PB1000|Optoma HD26 projector|120" Grandview screen|Apple TV4|Roku 4

Offline georgev

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
Thanks Frank.
Any idea on the tariffs?

Offline Frank007301

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
Thanks Frank.
Any idea on the tariffs?

It all depends what you wanna bring in.
B&W CM9's, CMC2, 4x  686's|2x M&K M4T Atmos|Marantz SR6011|Oppo UDP 203|Rotel RB1080|2xSVS PB1000|Optoma HD26 projector|120" Grandview screen|Apple TV4|Roku 4

Offline watz

• AVForums Member
They is a panasonic Veirra ,55 inch 4k HDR screen at richersounds .It is 600 pounds .
I always travel , so want to pick up one next month . How much duty will I pay to bring it in .

Offline reactor_sa

• AVForums Veteran
They is a panasonic Veirra ,55 inch 4k HDR screen at richersounds .It is 600 pounds .
I always travel , so want to pick up one next month . How much duty will I pay to bring it in .
I estimate 14 vat, and 25 ad volerum for luxury goods (TVs being a luxury good in SA).
If I recall that's about what it is in PC monitor's larger than 22".

Offline watz

• AVForums Member
That's about 4000 rands payment on top of the 10000 rands to purchase  the tv .
If I bring it straight by myself .

They is company sevenseas . I used them last time I relocated to South Africa .
They charging me 157 pounds to ship the TV to RSA and payment of 957 rands upon delivery .
Problem with seven seas I have to wait 5 weeks for it to be delivered .

I want to buy it the day I leave U.K , have it on the plane with me  as abnormal cargo .
Arrive the next day and mount it up on the wall .

Offline ScottulusMaximus

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • AVForums Veteran
I estimate 14 vat, and 25 ad volerum for luxury goods (TVs being a luxury good in SA).
If I recall that's about what it is in PC monitor's larger than 22".

It's 14% VAT calculated on 110% value, 25% duties on invoice value and 7% ad valorem on 115% value.
Importing made easy!

Offline reactor_sa

• AVForums Veteran
It's 14% VAT calculated on 110% value, 25% duties on invoice value and 7% ad valorem on 115% value.
Damn, so I was short about 10% , damn ridiculous

Offline naks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
If I bring in a BluRay player from Singapore, and open the box in the shop to test the unit, does that qualify it as used goods?

If so, what am I looking at paying on a unit costing R10k?
Oppo UDP-203, Cambridge Audio CXR200, PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), Velodyne Impact 10 sub

Offline Paradigm/Anthem SA

• AVForums Member
  • PARADIGM/ANTHEM REP AND TECHNICAL SUPPORT SA

Ooh Bud.  Not trying to change your mind as that is an incredible price but good luck bringing in a Panel.  Customs have become so full of S%$t. 
PARADIGM SIGNATURE S2 AND C3, PARADIGM SURROUND 3, PARADIGM SEISMIC 110, ANTHEM MRX 520, ANTHEM MCA30, OPPO BDP 103D, AUDIOQUEST INTERCONNECTS, HI DIAMON 8 SPEAKER CABLE

Offline Katji

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • soundcloud
How's SARS CUSTOMS with a $250 $350 gift? What are the parameters, the rules?

Offline rawoke

• AVForums Member
    • FibreTiger - Compare ALL Fibre ISPs
Re: Importing Direct? | The SARS Customs & Excise Tariffs | The Duties You'll Pay
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 10:03:15 AM »
I tried scanning that book but ugh !!! - Anyone know what the duties on laptops are ?
https://www.fibretiger.co.za - FibreTiger - Compare ALL Fibre ISPs

Offline stereo247

• AVForums Veteran
Just tried importing some electronic components for a diy build and it got stopped. SARS are now requiring an importers number within 14 days or Iím going to be hit with a R2500 + vat storage fine.

What the heck to do?????

Offline stereo247

• AVForums Veteran
Justy to give everyone some feedback after the ordeal with Customs. It would seem that due to governments tax shortfall the squeeze is on to get every last cent out of us. Your consignment would be held back and you would require a importers number for one of the following reasons:

1. If the qty of goods is more than 50. Despite my packet have different types of components the weigh bill showed more than 50 items. To get around this get your sender to call it one or two set(s) of goods. 
2. If the total value is more than R50,000.
3. You import often during a year

Hope this helps someone.

Offline roddy100

• AVForums Member
Not sure if anybody has experienced the change in recent months for imported CD's?

Over many years I have bought 50+ CD's at various times from eBay and Amazon UK.  These used to get delivered to the house mailbox. No charges were ever levied.  Recently each CD is being levied with a R24 charge when I collect at my local Post Office in Rondebosch.  Is this a symptom of the revenue shortfall and tougher/stricter SARS collections?

Has anybody else had to start paying recently?  Is R24 the correct charge?

I once bought a Meridian DAC used from Australia. It was delivered to my door on a Saturday by the post office - no charges were levied.

Roddy