Author Topic: Importing Direct? | The SARS Customs & Excise Tariffs | The Duties You'll Pay  (Read 22527 times)

Offline grammadoelas

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
  • Beep-Beep
I hope this helps somebody. Before you import, consult this SARS Guide (PDF, dd. 2015-09-25) to sidestep those unhappy monetary surprises. Always look at the date to ensure the guide is current.

SARS Customs & Excise Tariffs

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
This book is worse than the Guthenburg Bible.  Typical bureaucratic layout with 628 pages of stuff all over the place and no searchable index, apart from your Adobe reader

Maybe a summary would assist pointing out recommendations for buyers to suggest to shippers the tariff heading to place on the shipping invoice.  This way you ensure that the parcel will be assessed the way you want it.  Although Customs are empowered to collect the maximum duty from buyers, they have a large volume of parcels to cover and this eases their way in assessing the item, instead of looking it up and possibly getting it wrong, to your detriment

A useful hint is to always declare the items to be computer-related since this attracts 0% duty.  See chapter 85 and page 562 for details (the search word is "processor")

Offline grammadoelas

• AVForums Member
  • Beep-Beep
This section at the SARS website deals with Customs & Excise. They say they are modernizing and implementing Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) as they go. We can only look forward hopefully, to a suave alternative to search for a C&E tariff.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 11:29:27 AM by veryfi »

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
When I worked at Safmarine in the late 1970's, the EDI project was mooted and SARS actually hired people to transfer the GATT books onto computer via a computer bureau in Cape Town.  Now, 40 years after the event it is still work in progress

You can look up GATT tariffs (and references) on https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/tariffs_e/tariffs_e.htm

A very sleep-inducing read IMO

Offline grammadoelas

• AVForums Member
  • Beep-Beep
Thanks for the link, chrisc. By now, SARS should have had a properly indexed, descriptive, searchable tariff database put online. Plus, why not a small downloadable SARS-app for offline searches from the PC desktop? My first acquaintance with the voluminous C&E Tariff book was during the 1970's too. Luckily a very good pal of mine was employed at SARS HQ, and all I had to do was pick up the phone. Oi, the stories one can tell.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 02:25:22 PM by veryfi »

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
SARS are 10 years behind the times, Customs at least 20.   Advanced computing SARS style is the e-filing website.  Two dozen different menus and two dozen ways to navigate around them.  Latest offering is that you cannot upload certain documents to them, there is an email address that you must use - contact.central@sars.gov.za - but they don't advertise it at all, you have to experience several aborted uploads and hang on the phone for 30 mins before you are told this

Offline Scrat

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Real men don't drink pink drinks, Dave....
EDI was "implemented" roughly 12 years ago when I was in the industry. Lol! The strategy seemed to be automation on as many levels as possible. Seems they have failed.
It's not the size of the sub, it's where you place it.

Offline raj

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Member
  • trying to get over my obsession!
Need some help please..should one be returning a component for repair to the USA, how does one not pay duty when the component is returned?
"My advice is don't spend your money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." Wim Wenders

Offline grammadoelas

• AVForums Member
  • Beep-Beep
Need some help please..should one be returning a component for repair to the USA, how does one not pay duty when the component is returned?

@raj

My immediate guess is that you will have to declare the item as an "export" for repairs to Customs & Excise (C&E) on some form, and put a value to it. Then upon return "import", you submit this form to C&E.

Best is probably to call C&E, or email them for advice on this.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 10:09:15 AM by veryfi »

Offline HJ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Member
Will you pay duties on second hand audio equipment as well besides VAT?

Offline adie

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
Will you pay duties on second hand audio equipment as well besides VAT?

Yes for duties. Not sure about VAT.

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
The easiest way to get a Customs certificate for returned goods (VAT & duty) is to see the SARS office at the airport.  Or else the SARS office at your local Post Office hub (in Cape Town it would be the one in Epping).  If you go to a customs hall where clearing agents and the like have to go, you will need to have completed the SARS 500 form which you can get here:  http://www.sars.gov.za/AllDocs/OpsDocs/SARSForms/SAD%20500%20Customs%20Declaration%20Form%20-%20External%20Form.pdf

Offline Dark Angel

• AVForums Member
Re: Importing Direct? | The SARS Customs & Excise Tariffs | The Duties You'll Pay
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 09:10:14 AM »
A part being exported for repair whether warranty or not must be temporarily exported on a SAD 500 customs form and registered for re-importation on a DA 65 customs form.

Online georgev

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
Any idea what the duties are on second hand audio equipment being imported?
And if there is VAT payable?

Offline ScottulusMaximus

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • AVForums Veteran
Any idea what the duties are on second hand audio equipment being imported?
And if there is VAT payable?

Duties will depend on what the equipment is, VAT will be applicable.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 01:44:38 PM by ScottulusMaximus »
Importing made easy!