Audio and Video Talk > Acoustics and Room treatment

Room treatment??

(1/4) > >>

VK:
Has anyone had any experience with the room treatment that Barrier acoustics supplies (supplied by Music Mate)?
How does it compare to the mineral fibre option for absorption and how good are the diffusers?
http://www.musiconhold.co.za/barrier%20acoustics.htm

DRNB:
Value for money nothing will beat mineral fibre of fibre glass.

check out energy lite from http://www.insulpro.co.za/fibreglass_products.htm

AS for the diffusers. It would certainly work, but the main thing about a diffuser is to create a uneven pattern to scatter sound in various directions. The diffusers I see on the web page has a repetitive pattern. Check this out: http://acousticpanels.co.za/acoustic_diffusers.htm

Vaughan:
In my opinion, any acoustic company worth their salt should have their treatment tested by an acoustical lab so we can see some hard absorptive data. Without that, you have no clue what you're getting.  I wouldn't bother using foam-based products, in my opinion.

Foam products are decent at absorbing mid-to-high frequencies but mediocre at best when it comes to lower bass absorption because they generally have very poor gas flow properties. Since foam tends to absorbs higher frequencies, or rather, absorbs reflections at higher frequencies, this can result in a room that sounds like the treble controls have been turned down while leaving too much mid-bass and lower bass. In other words, all the boom remains while the highs are tamed. This is what happens when too much foam is used in a room.

To be fair, fiberglass can result in a similar outcome if too much is used. The difference being that fiberglass is considerably more absorptive at lower frequencies so you'll end up with a more balanced result.

chipwelder:
Those Barrier acoustics absorbers in the piano room will most likely only work from about 800 Hz and up... OK as per their demo it is sure to work from 1.5kHz and up...  ::) From the before test the room is not even that bad to start with. You can do better yourself, with min effort. Not sure how they expect the bass traps to work, they are tiny, can't see them working below 200-400 hz.

Vaughan:
If you want decent absorption down to around 100 Hz or so then 4" thick fiberglass spaced away from the corners will work brilliantly. Even thicker 6" panels will work a little below that. Of course, putting a 6" thick panel spaced 6" away from any wall probably won't give useful absorption below 100 Hz so it's extremely important to make sure that you target the zones that cause the issues to begin with (ie corners : tri-corners, wall-ceiling corners etc).

Also, surface area is key. So covering the entire tri-corner will bring about major improvements in reducing decay times and flattening response. That's what I've done with my GIK tri-traps and I'm pretty happy with the results. Still not perfect, but much better than no treatment at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version